Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Should NBA players get a stipend to buy suits?

RoyalTea
10-11-05, 12:55 PM
Asked about the NBA's proposed new dress code asking players to be neat on the bench and dress well on trips with sport coats and collared shirts, Denver's Marcus Camby said, "I don't see it happening unless every NBA player is given a stipend to buy clothes. Guys who haven't been wearing suits and don't own suits, it will be really hard to get them in time for the season." Camby makes $9.3-million this season.

Dozens have objected. Greg Ostertag said he may wear loud sport coats to sabotage the plan. Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan are among those who have said they don't intend to comply. Dallas owner Mark Cuban, who wears T-shirts, objects.

But Toronto's Matt Bonner expressed the league's concern: "We have the worst image rating out there of all the sports, and I think anything we can do to improve that is good. The dress code's a start."wow, just when I think I couldn't possibly respect NBA players less, Camby opens his mouth.

El Scorcho
10-11-05, 12:59 PM
Oh come on he's got kids to feed, how can he do that on 9.3 million while buying suits?

Red Dog
10-11-05, 01:02 PM
Yeah - a $200 GC for the Men's Wearhouse.

Groucho
10-11-05, 01:06 PM
While we're at it, lets make actors buy their own costumes!

The Cow
10-11-05, 01:11 PM
While we're at it, lets make actors buy their own costumes!
Trick-or-treat :hscratch:

RoyalTea
10-11-05, 01:19 PM
While we're at it, lets make actors buy their own costumes!do NBA players have to pay for their uniforms?

Jericho
10-11-05, 01:28 PM
Cause you know, the NBA's image will vastly improve because they wear suits while doing coke off of strippers

Daryl
10-11-05, 02:10 PM
Geez - they get a per diem while on the road already. Miss a few meals and buy a suit. You're in a new city each night on the road, so no one will know you're wearing the same suit every day. Although I will agree with the point Josh Childress had: after a night game on the road, the last thing you want to have to do at 1 or 2 in the morning for the bus ride back to the hotel (or worse: to the airport to go to another city) is to have to put on a suit.

scottall
10-11-05, 02:17 PM
I am glad they got Greg Ostertag's opinion.

B.A.
10-11-05, 02:34 PM
No.

fujishig
10-11-05, 02:49 PM
Okay, Camby's argument was dumb (I mean, if they were given a stipend, how will that allow them to get suits faster)? But it's not really about whether or not they can afford it, it's about the league enforcing a dress code on them. I can see their point: if you want me to wear a suit, you buy them, because that's not the kind of clothes I usually wear.

I don't see what the big deal about the suit thing is, either... it's not going to improve their image any. Wilbon said a few weeks ago that in his opinion, the league (Stern) regrets the decision to associate with the hip-hop crowd, mainly because it's driven away "white" middle class America. So dressing them up in suits will change that? Lets give them all haircuts too while we're at it...

Besides, I don't remember players getting in trouble or ruining the leagues image between games or on the bus. It's usually on their off-times or on the court...

cdollaz
10-11-05, 03:00 PM
Ostertag is still in the league? Who is he stealing money from now?

Jericho
10-11-05, 03:04 PM
Ostertag is still in the league? Who is he stealing money from now?

What? You didn't get the memo? He's back with the Jazz. They must have been some kind of parade for that homecoming...

mlemmond
10-11-05, 03:16 PM
Suits won't help. Now enforce and IQ requirement and you might be getting somewhere. Then make the NBA an equal opportunity employer and start hiring some token white boys to drop the crimes per player average.

I can't watch the NBA anymore I don't identify with these people hell I can't stand most of them.

El Scorcho
10-11-05, 03:19 PM
if you want me to wear a suit, you buy them, because that's not the kind of clothes I usually wear.

Huh? Just about every business corporation in the world is like this. Shit, if I had my choice I'd be in shorts and a t-shirt right now.

Quake1028
10-11-05, 03:27 PM
No, but the rule is ridiculous in the first place. Who in the hell wants to wear a suit on a cross-country flight?

Big Quasimodo
10-11-05, 03:35 PM
Good rule, no stipend. C'mon...you gotta pay a few thousand to work in an industry where you can make a GREAT salary. Small price.

tofu
10-11-05, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised that Tim Duncan would say that he wouldn't comply. But in all honesty, it's not like a guy like Tim Duncan or Camby can go down to the Men's Wherehouse to get a suit unless they want to be really really small. They'd have to go a Big & Tall store. :D

AndyCapps
10-11-05, 04:10 PM
I think the dress code is stupid. Suits are for funerals and interviews. They're goddamn basketball players, not lawyers. Then again, most of the Pacers already have suits thanks to their recent court appearances.

cdollaz
10-11-05, 04:15 PM
Then again, most of the Pacers already have suits thanks to their recent court appearances.

Both clothing suits and lawsuits.

fujishig
10-11-05, 04:22 PM
Huh? Just about every business corporation in the world is like this. Shit, if I had my choice I'd be in shorts and a t-shirt right now.

True, but in most cases, the dress code makes sense. In this case, I don't care that they regulate the uniforms that they wear on the court, but they mandate that they need to wear suits before and after the game? As far as I know, you can go to work wearing whatever you want, as long as you change before you clock in.

Of course, they're (mostly) millionaires who can afford whatever. I'm sure some of the jerseys they wear cost more than some suits anyway. But I can understand why people would be against this rule. I'm not sure, but wouldn't this also affect endorsements that they have? Or is Nike making a suit now?

LurkerDan
10-11-05, 05:35 PM
True, but in most cases, the dress code makes sense. In this case, I don't care that they regulate the uniforms that they wear on the court, but they mandate that they need to wear suits before and after the game? As far as I know, you can go to work wearing whatever you want, as long as you change before you clock in.

Of course, they're (mostly) millionaires who can afford whatever. I'm sure some of the jerseys they wear cost more than some suits anyway. But I can understand why people would be against this rule. I'm not sure, but wouldn't this also affect endorsements that they have? Or is Nike making a suit now?
Huh? :hscratch:

I don't clock in, but I need to look presentable when I arrive at the office. If I walked into a law firm in shorts and t-shirt and said, "don't worry, I haven't started working yet, I'm going to sit in the breakroom for a while but will put on my suit before I sit at my desk" I would get laughed at (and fired). Their "office", their work, is not just the court, it is whenever they are functioning within the team model. So, no suit required when out on your own, but when you are with the team (on a team bus, for example), you are still at work and you must wear one. How is that different from any other employment dress code? And how on earth does that affect endorsement deals?

I'm not saying the rule is good or bad, but saying the league shouldn't be able to enforce this dress code unless they buy the suits is ludicrous.

Bacon
10-11-05, 05:38 PM
I say make them wear striped suits, for many of them this would not be a new wardrobe :D

RayChuang
10-11-05, 05:46 PM
Why don't the NBA define the clothing standard minimum as the equivalent of business casual? That means things like Polo shirts, dress slacks, and a comfortable pair of non-athletic shoes.

Can you imagine Allen Iverson wearing a suit? -rolleyes-

mlemmond
10-11-05, 05:48 PM
They're not talking about orange jump suits are they?

fujishig
10-11-05, 06:04 PM
Huh? :hscratch:

I don't clock in, but I need to look presentable when I arrive at the office. If I walked into a law firm in shorts and t-shirt and said, "don't worry, I haven't started working yet, I'm going to sit in the breakroom for a while but will put on my suit before I sit at my desk" I would get laughed at (and fired). Their "office", their work, is not just the court, it is whenever they are functioning within the team model. So, no suit required when out on your own, but when you are with the team (on a team bus, for example), you are still at work and you must wear one. How is that different from any other employment dress code? And how on earth does that affect endorsement deals?

I'm not saying the rule is good or bad, but saying the league shouldn't be able to enforce this dress code unless they buy the suits is ludicrous.

Well, say for example you're going on a business trip, and your company pays for your flight. Do they tell you what to wear on the plane? It may be completely within their rights (I have no idea), but it would seem odd to me.

The endorsement thing, I just figured that some of them have endorsement deals where they have to wear their hats or whatever in public, and in after-game interviews, etc. Certainly not a huge deal.

Daryl
10-11-05, 07:07 PM
Suits won't help. Now enforce and IQ requirement and you might be getting somewhere. Then make the NBA an equal opportunity employer and start hiring some token white boys to drop the crimes per player average.

I can't watch the NBA anymore I don't identify with these people hell I can't stand most of them.
:rolleyes: how absurd. Perhaps this forum should "enforce and IQ requirement" (sic). I know a great place to start.

DarkElf
10-11-05, 08:18 PM
Then make the NBA an equal opportunity employer and start hiring some token white boys to drop the crimes per player average.
This is a blatant racism comment and it won't be tolerated in the sports forum.

nickdawgy
10-11-05, 08:37 PM
Shaq would have fun with this. He always wears those weird striped or red suits.

The Cow
10-11-05, 08:46 PM
Agree that it's way out of line. But really, if it isn't tolerated, then why isn't he banned or even suspended :hscratch: ?

monkeyboy
10-11-05, 09:13 PM
His first point is that they shouldn't have to pay, his second point is that even if they did pay for suits, they might not be ready in time for the season. He may have a valid point on the second. It's not like they can just walk into the Men's Warehouse and buy a suit for a 7 footer.

Funny, NBA players don't want to wear suits. NFL coashes want to, but aren't allowed to.

The Cow
10-11-05, 09:17 PM
His first point is that they shouldn't have to pay, his second point is that even if they did pay for suits, they might not be ready in time for the season. He may have a valid point on the second. It's not like they can just walk into the Men's Warehouse and buy a suit for a 7 footer.

Funny, NBA players don't want to wear suits. NFL coashes want to, but aren't allowed to.
How many 7+ footers do you think are in the NBA?

Didn't know about the NFL thing, where did you hear that? I'd like to know more about that one.

NotThatGuy
10-11-05, 09:58 PM
Cause you know, the NBA's image will vastly improve because they wear suits while doing coke off of strippers

I will NOT be compared to a freakin' NBA player!!!

;)

NotThatGuy
10-11-05, 10:01 PM

I don't agree with the racist part of comment, but according to statistics released recently, a good portion of the NBA DOES have a criminal record.

I agree with the dress code.....because the league has an image to protect.

*edit*

Found it.

Based on a first-of-its-kind investigation into the criminal histories of 177 NBA players from the 20012002 season, Out of Bounds shows that an alarming four out of every ten NBA players have a police record involving a serious crime.

The statistic was reported in Jeff Benedict's book: Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence, and Crime

-p

fumanstan
10-11-05, 10:29 PM
It's a stupid rule, and I don't see a point to it. It sounds like Camby was just whining about it, and doesn't really mean that they couldn't afford it.

Kaffe_02
10-11-05, 10:59 PM
Dumb rule but I can see where they are coming from. I dont think the appeareance of the players turns off as many fans as the attitude and off the court stuff so maybe David Stern should focus his attention there.

NotThatGuy
10-11-05, 11:24 PM
Oh...and the product on the floor has degraded too. Rising ticket prices, and falling performance on the court.

mlemmond
10-12-05, 07:19 AM
Based on a first-of-its-kind investigation into the criminal histories of 177 NBA players from the 20012002 season, Out of Bounds shows that an alarming four out of every ten NBA players have a police record involving a serious crime.

The statistic was reported in Jeff Benedict's book: Out of Bounds: Inside the NBA's Culture of Rape, Violence, and Crime

-p

Call it racist if you want but 40% of the players have been involved in a serious crime in a league where (I'm guessing here) 80-90% of the players are black. You don't see these kind of numbers in hockey where the players are mostly white.

LurkerDan
10-12-05, 09:36 AM
Call it racist if you want but 40% of the players have been involved in a serious crime in a league where (I'm guessing here) 80-90% of the players are black. You don't see these kind of numbers in hockey where the players are mostly white.
And you think the difference is race? Hockey players don't have criminal records because they are white? That's why your comment before and here are racist, you are assuming it is race that causes the difference.

Perhaps it is because basketball is a poor inner city game, ya think?

RoyalTea
10-12-05, 09:42 AM
Didn't know about the NFL thing, where did you hear that? I'd like to know more about that one.Doesn't the NFL have an exclusive contract with Reebok? I think all the coaches HAVE TO wear Reebok shit on the sidelines.

I'd love to see someone wearing a suit with a reebok logo stitched onto the lapel, though.

mlemmond
10-12-05, 09:46 AM
I wasn't talking about race as a whole merely the image of the NBA. The current image that is largely seen by "white america" is that of over payed thugs who can't stay out of trouble most white Americans can't identify with them and don't want to. If the NBA wishes to change their image suits will not do it, what the NBA needs is more white faces on the teams. Most white Americans don't buy NBA merchandise, go to NBA games or watch them on TV because there is no one there they feel they can identify with or pull for. Why do you think the Boston Celtics achieved unprecedented popularity during Larry Birds career? The white sports fan had someone to pull for. Michael Jordan was a fluke and a product of smart buisiness, he knew that to sell his products to white people you couldn't behave like a thug you had to act like a responsible adult. David Stern hitched the NBA to the Hip-Hop movement and now it's blown up in his face.

LurkerDan
10-12-05, 10:03 AM
Wow, I didn't know you spoke for white americans, and I never knew that I didn't like the NBA. Or that white america didn't. I also never realized that the reason I am Celtic fan and Larry Bird fan was because he was white.

You should have backed out of ths thread when you had the chance. Shall I hand you a shovel to help with that hole you're digging?

Daryl
10-12-05, 10:28 AM
Most white Americans don't buy NBA merchandise, go to NBA games or watch them on TV because there is no one there they feel they can identify with or pull for.

White Americans don't go to NBA games?? :lol: The league would be out of business in 2 years if this were truly the case. Next time a game is on TV, take a look at who is sitting in the good seats.

mikewendt
10-12-05, 11:34 AM
$9.3 Million and he's bitching about a suit????

Dress codes come with almost every job in the world you spoild bitch... "Some of us have never wore suits." Would it kill you to dress nice while YOUR AT WORK, making you millions...

What an asshole.

It's been a rough morning...

cdollaz
10-12-05, 11:50 AM
Forget clothes, if Stern really wants to improve their image, he should tell most of them to shut their mouths in public, because many NBA players sound like they have never been schooled in basic grammar.

If i had a dollar for every double-negative and noun-verb disagreement I have heard from NBA players, I could almost feed Latrell's children.

El Scorcho
10-12-05, 12:21 PM
:rolleyes: how absurd. Perhaps this forum should "enforce and IQ requirement" (sic). I know a great place to start.

Don't pick on classicman in a thread he'll never read!

El Scorcho
10-12-05, 12:29 PM
I wasn't talking about race as a whole merely the image of the NBA. The current image that is largely seen by "white america" is that of over payed thugs who can't stay out of trouble most white Americans can't identify with them and don't want to. If the NBA wishes to change their image suits will not do it, what the NBA needs is more white faces on the teams. Most white Americans don't buy NBA merchandise, go to NBA games or watch them on TV because there is no one there they feel they can identify with or pull for. Why do you think the Boston Celtics achieved unprecedented popularity during Larry Birds career? The white sports fan had someone to pull for. Michael Jordan was a fluke and a product of smart buisiness, he knew that to sell his products to white people you couldn't behave like a thug you had to act like a responsible adult. David Stern hitched the NBA to the Hip-Hop movement and now it's blown up in his face.

Magic, Dr. J, Jordan, Barkley, Ewing, etc. all had as much to do with NBA's popularity in the 80s as Bird did.

The big difference between now and then is the addition of more and more teenagers to the league based on raw talent but typically without shit between their ears. White or black, if you hand a teenager a shitload of cash and no moral guidance from the parents, they're going to do something stupid most of the time.

The issue isn't a race issue. The issue is a nationwide epidemic involving the lack of parenthood. Just so happens now that these kids are entering the NBA without a 4-year college buffer first.

kneijst1
10-12-05, 12:59 PM
I wasn't talking about race as a whole merely the image of the NBA.

But what about Asian-American players or Hispanic players??? Why would it HAVE to be white players??? Your first statement was a racist comment and now your getting OWNED on it. Deal with it.

gameover2k2
10-12-05, 01:41 PM
Seem like mlemmond just bought

'Black Adder: The Complete Collector's Set'....

i thought he'd be 'down' with the NBA players hehe :)

bhk
10-12-05, 01:55 PM
I think it's ridiculous to force someone to wear a suit on a cross country flight. And I agree that the NBA's image problem is that their players aren't well dressed.

fumanstan
10-12-05, 01:57 PM
$9.3 Million and he's bitching about a suit????

Dress codes come with almost every job in the world you spoild bitch... "Some of us have never wore suits." Would it kill you to dress nice while YOUR AT WORK, making you millions...

What an asshole.

Like someone already mentioned, they already have a dress code at WORK with the jerseys they wear on the court. The NBA is trying to dictate the clothes they wear outside of work.

Forget clothes, if Stern really wants to improve their image, he should tell most of them to shut their mouths in public, because many NBA players sound like they have never been schooled in basic grammar.

If i had a dollar for every double-negative and noun-verb disagreement I have heard from NBA players, I could almost feed Latrell's children.

To be fair, athletes across the bored are pretty poor when it comes to grammar and speaking in public.

Mordred
10-12-05, 02:12 PM
Huh? Just about every business corporation in the world is like this. Shit, if I had my choice I'd be in shorts and a t-shirt right now.I wear shorts and a t-shirt most days because I chose an employer where that's allowed. I would wouldn't be too happy if they attempted to change the dress code on me.

El Scorcho
10-12-05, 02:33 PM
Like someone already mentioned, they already have a dress code at WORK with the jerseys they wear on the court. The NBA is trying to dictate the clothes they wear outside of work.

An NBA players workspace extends outside the lines. If you or anyone else can't see this (it's already been explained by LurkerDan) then there really is no point to this thread.

mikewendt
10-12-05, 02:37 PM
Actually, at least going by the first post...
Asked about the NBA's proposed new dress code asking players to be neat on the bench and dress well on trips with sport coats and collared shirts,
They want them to dress up on the bench, when not participating in the game, and while traveling with the team... It's called Representing the Company that's paying you... If the players buy their own air/bus fares, let them wear what they want. If the company's paying for you, you should consider it a business trip and act/dress accordingly...

Of course this is just my opinion... Now I don't wear a suit, hell I don't even dress neat or shave most days... But I got a job in radio where that type of shit isn't required... However, if I worked in the sales dept. for the station I would be expected to look presentable...

If you're being paid millions to represent a multi-million dollar company, you should look like it...

If you're a jackass that goes to bars and gets people to drink, while representing a radio station, you should look like that...

cdollaz
10-12-05, 02:43 PM
Also, a sportscoat and collared shirt does not = a suit and tie. Sportscoats and a collared shirt are not nearly as uncomfortable as having to wear a suit and tie.

fujishig
10-12-05, 04:21 PM
Also, a sportscoat and collared shirt does not = a suit and tie. Sportscoats and a collared shirt are not nearly as uncomfortable as having to wear a suit and tie.

True, true. I guess it's totally within the NBA's rights, I just think it's dumb. Kinda like the rule that baseball managers have to wear baseball jerseys during the game. Can you imagine if all sports had that rule (I mean, look at what George Karl looked like last year)?

fumanstan
10-12-05, 07:24 PM
An NBA players workspace extends outside the lines. If you or anyone else can't see this (it's already been explained by LurkerDan) then there really is no point to this thread.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I would have to assume for the most part employees aren't required to dress in a suit and tie on a flight for a business trip subsidised by the employer. And naturally, LurkerDan's field is quite a bit different from the sports world.

I have no problems with teams asking players to look presentable if they're injured or inactive and sitting courtside during a game. Many players actually already do dress fairly respectable in that regard.

As for mikewendt's comment, you said it yourself. Something like that isn't required in your current position at your job. That's the way it is in the NBA currently. You wouldn't be angry if your employer asked you to come in dressed a certain way? Anyone accustomed to a certain standard and having that changed on them would be irked.

El Scorcho
10-12-05, 07:53 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I would have to assume for the most part employees aren't required to dress in a suit and tie on a flight for a business trip subsidised by the employer. And naturally, LurkerDan's field is quite a bit different from the sports world.

Nope, most business employees are not required to dress up to board a plane. However, if everyone on that plane was (reasonably) a potential customer of mine, I damn well would find a way to look presentable at all times. Such is the case for the NBA. Salaries are paid via customer revenue. Every commoner they approach as a team -- whether it's a flight attendant, fans waiting outside the bus, hotel clerks, people in a hotel lobby, etc. is a potential customer.

I have no problems with teams asking players to look presentable if they're injured or inactive and sitting courtside during a game. Many players actually already do dress fairly respectable in that regard.

Agreed.

As for mikewendt's comment, you said it yourself. Something like that isn't required in your current position at your job. That's the way it is in the NBA currently. You wouldn't be angry if your employer asked you to come in dressed a certain way? Anyone accustomed to a certain standard and having that changed on them would be irked.

I would be irked and then I would adapt to change if it made sense and in this case, it does.

LurkerDan
10-12-05, 08:42 PM
I would be irked and then I would adapt to change if it made sense and in this case, it does.
If I paid you $5million per year, would it make sense to you to dress nice because I told you that you had to? :)

fumanstan
10-12-05, 10:16 PM

I would say the same would happen with the large majority of players if such a change was put into effect just like any other job, and regardless of whether someone makes $5 million a year or 30K a year.

However I still don't think it makes sense, simply because I don't feel it would have much of an impact at all on public perception. It may help a tiny bit on moving the NBA away from the "thug" or "gangster" image because of guys like Iverson, but heck, look at the other people complaining in the article. Greg Ostertag? Tim Duncan? The way Greg Ostertag dresses sure isn't going to change my opinion of the NBA :lol:

PopcornTreeCt
10-13-05, 03:39 PM
Ehh, you can the player out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the player. They might as well ban tattoos and braided hair while they're at it.

mikewendt
10-13-05, 04:17 PM
If I paid you $5million per year, would it make sense to you to dress nice because I told you that you had to? :)
Yes... For $5 Million? Yes it would...

Ehh, you can the player out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the player. They might as well ban tattoos and braided hair while they're at it.
I just had to shake my head as I read that and it made me think of this...

"...Yo man it sounds like you sellin' out to me 'cause I'm from the ghetto, I'm suppose to stay in the ghetto all my life, we ain't never suppose to leave here, we're black, we're suppose to be poor...

Shut up do you know how dumb you sound? That mentality's what keeps my people down. No one wants to live in an urban war. You live there cause your parents were poor. They live there because theirs were also, get yourself together...."

lyrics from 'Escape from the Killing Fields' by Ice-T (O.G. Original Gangster)

El Scorcho
10-13-05, 04:20 PM
For $5M a year, I'd wear a clown outfit everywhere.

BTW, I think it's kinda shitty that Iverson always gets tagged with the "thug" image. This guy's work ethic on the court and toughness for his size is what all NBA players should strive for.

BabiG
10-13-05, 04:58 PM
However, if everyone on that plane was (reasonably) a potential customer of mine, I damn well would find a way to look presentable at all times.
Don't the teams charter their own planes? I doubt they're flying coach everywhere. Everyone on that plane is probably a fellow employee or member of an entourage.

mautos
10-13-05, 05:11 PM
The greedy get greedier?
Matt Bonner is a class act...love that guy. Probably the only guy who actually took tough classes in school, and came out having learned something.
Screw these guys if they dont like wearing suits...if the owners decide they like this rule then the players have to do it. Seeing as how they are their employers. It's a shame to see a guy like Tim Duncan be such a jackass by saying he wont comply.
I say do it just to piss them off, I love to watch athletes whine.

mautos
10-13-05, 05:13 PM
Yes... For $5 Million? Yes it would...

I just had to shake my head as I read that and it made me think of this...

"...Yo man it sounds like you sellin' out to me 'cause I'm from the ghetto, I'm suppose to stay in the ghetto all my life, we ain't never suppose to leave here, we're black, we're suppose to be poor...

Shut up do you know how dumb you sound? That mentality's what keeps my people down. No one wants to live in an urban war. You live there cause your parents were poor. They live there because theirs were also, get yourself together...."

lyrics from 'Escape from the Killing Fields' by Ice-T (O.G. Original Gangster)
BRAVO

NotThatGuy
10-14-05, 12:01 AM
For $5M a year, I'd wear a clown outfit everywhere.

BTW, I think it's kinda shitty that Iverson always gets tagged with the "thug" image. This guy's work ethic on the court and toughness for his size is what all NBA players should strive for.

How about $5, and you wear the clown outfit around vegas next week? ;)

As for AI....I don't knock on him because he does stuff for the community, and he works hard. Sure he is an individual and can be a head-case sometimes....but he doesn't take nights off, and he gives something back to the community.

Btw....if you look at most peer-reviewed studies on crime, you'll see that economic standing will have a greater impact on crime than race. Race is a factor, but economic standing is more influential.

-p

Deadpool
10-14-05, 01:33 AM
Marcus Camby is a idiot.

They already get fucking Per Diem for travel, now he wants extra money for suits? He needs to leave that Dennis Rodman crack alone, or apply it to his fragile knees, maybe then they will hold up for one season.

DJLinus
10-15-05, 07:55 PM
Heck, even my high school basketball team (varsity and JV) had to wear suits to and from games.

"Guys who haven't been wearing suits and don't own suits, it will be really hard to get them in time for the season."

They don't have to buy expensive tailored suits. They can just go to Chalmer's Big and Tall Men's Shop, a seven outlet chain in the Pacific Northwest.

Seriously, though, correct me if I'm wrong because I don't follow the NBA, but don't players usually wear suits during the draft? If so, shouldn't each player have a suit already, provided that it still fits?

lemieux66c
10-16-05, 08:53 PM

You think $21 million could feed his children? What are you thinking? :scratch2: :D2:

tofu
10-17-05, 01:45 AM
I wouldn't support a stipend for the players but I would support a stipend for Craig Sager so that he could stop wearing those awful awful suits.

Michael T Hudson
10-19-05, 10:05 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Indiana guard Stephen Jackson believes the NBA's new ban on bling-bling is racially motivated, but says he will abide by the rules.

The NBA has announced that a dress code will go into effect at the start of the season. Players will be required to wear business-casual attire when involved in team or league business. They can't wear visible chains, pendants or medallions over their clothes

Jackson, who is black, said the NBA's new rule about jewelry targets young black males because chains are associated with hip-hop culture, and he said the league is afraid of becoming "too hip-hop." In protest, he wore four chains to the Pacers' exhibition game against San Antonio on Tuesday night.

Boston Celtics star Paul Pierce agreed that the new rule targeted young, black players.

"When I saw the part about chains, hip hop and throwback jerseys, I think that's part of our culture," Pierce said. "The NBA is young black males."

Jackson defended his actions on Wednesday, but said he won't allow his feelings to cause a distraction once the regular season starts.

"They don't want your chains to be out, all gaudy and shiny. But that's the point of them," he said. "I love wearing my jewelry. But I love my job. I love playing basketball more than I love getting fined and getting suspended."

Jackson said he had enough problems last year, when he was suspended for 30 games for his role in the November melee between Pacers players and Detroit Pistons fans in Auburn Hills, Mich.

"You have to listen to the people who employ you," he said. "The people who are paying us make the rules. You need to abide by the rules or don't work. I want to work."

Pierce, who said the matter should have been brought to the players' association for a vote, said there are times he may not follow the rule.

"I dress how I feel anyway," he said. "I think I'm just going to continue to dress how I feel. I think there's some days I may take a fine."

Jackson first made his displeasure with the new rule a public matter on Tuesday. He said he hasn't heard from the league office, and doesn't expect to.

"I still have freedom of speech, don't I?" he said. "I didn't disrespect anybody by saying it, so I can say what I want to say."

Michael T Hudson
10-19-05, 10:06 PM
Hip Hop Jewelry, Dog Tags and Buckles
Latest iced out hip hop fashions including name belt buckles, bling dog tags and silver...
amazingbeltbuckles.com
Below Wholesale Watch Outlet
We buy in bulk from overseas manufacturers so you don't have too. No min. Order. This...
www.itsabouttime.biz
Hip Hop Bling Bling Jewelry
Iced Out Gear offers a large selection of trendy fashion hip hop rings, chains,...
www.icedoutgear.com

The ads from the same article :lol:

The Cow
10-19-05, 10:22 PM
Just wait until next year, when they are required to wear the short tight shorts again :lol:

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jack_mccallum/01/20/intimidators/t1_bird.jpg

wolverine1028
10-20-05, 02:50 AM
Stipend??? No f**king way! They get paid tons of jack. They can afford their own gear! If they are really tight for cash, there are always sales at Men's Warehouse or JC Penny.

cdollaz
10-20-05, 08:46 AM
I guess young black males are the only people that wear jewelry. I'll have to tell me wife. That will save me some money down the road.

LurkerDan
10-20-05, 10:39 AM
Stephen Jackson just might be the dumbest man in the NBA.

Patman
10-20-05, 11:51 AM
Doesn't the NFL require non-playing players on the sidelines to dress in only NFL-approved clothing (be it jerseys, warm-up suits, polo shirts, etc)?

Josh H
10-20-05, 12:02 PM
No stipend and no problem with the dress code.

All these dumbass multi millionaires dressing like gang bangers is one of the main things that turns me off from the NBA.

And it's a smart marketing move. Blacks only make up 12-13% of the US population (hispanics are even greater now) AND most of my black friends hate that ghetto thug, style, bling etc.

Fact of the matter is middle and upper class amerians of every race are who sports have to be successful with, due to todays ticket prices, costs of licensed merchandise etc. And that ghetto image doesn't jive with most educated folks, regardless of race.

LurkerDan
10-20-05, 12:32 PM
And that ghetto image doesn't jive with most educated folks, regardless of race.
I speak jive.

DJLinus
10-20-05, 12:35 PM
I speak jive.

Lay 'em down and smack 'em yack 'em.

Johnny Boy
10-21-05, 02:04 PM
The dress code is stupid, and I don't think it will improve the image of the NBA.

Here's some better ways to improve the NBA:

-Beat the hell out of Kobe Bryant for talking and licking his lips like Michael Jordan during interviews.

-Get Kwame Brown's ass out of the league. His basketball I.Q. is 1.8.

-Raise the rims 2 feet. These athletes are jumping higher and higher every year. Dunks don't seem as amazing anymore.

-Ban braids. I can't stand those things. It used to be that only Allen Iverson and Sprewell had them. Now everybody and his mother has them. Before we know it Yao Ming is going to have braids and a new hip hop album.

-Tell Yao Ming to stop pretending like he can't speak English.

-Dye the white spot on Rasheed Wallace's head.

-Get the REAL dunkers in the dunk contest. I want to see Vince Carter, LeBron James, Jason Richardson, Kobe Bryant, etc. I don't want to see an undrafted unknown scrub named Devon Booty who throws the ball from mid court, let's it bounce, and then misses his no-talent garbage attempt time and time again.

-Control player movement more. Too many players are traded or moving to too many different teams. Superstars should have careers like Reggie Miller. More loyalty to one team!

-Two basketballs at once.

-Change the Wizards team name to something else. No one is intimidated by a Wizard. We sound like *******. How about the Washington Rodmans, if for nothing else so that Dennis Rodman can come back into the league and be our mascot and entertain the people during halftime by rolling around on the court and such.

-Cheerleaders should wear suits to the game.

-Go back in time to when Michael Jordan was in his prime. Cause let's face it, when Jordan left the Bulls for the final time that's when the NBA's image went down. That's the real reason. We can't find anything to replace what he brought to the table.

-Ban Peter Jon Ramos for being ugly. This suggestion alone would improve the NBA's image 26%.

Sorry if you wasted your time reading that.

Goldblum
10-21-05, 05:38 PM
No different from the rest of us buying our suits to wear to the office. So NO.

Kris81
10-22-05, 11:33 AM
My workplace requires me to wear at least khakis & a collar shirt.

They dont pay for it..

tonymontana313
10-22-05, 03:09 PM
Johnny Boy, I give you props. That was hilarious. :lol:

SuprVgeta
10-25-05, 04:58 PM
Oh come on he's got kids to feed, how can he do that on 9.3 million while buying suits?
:lol: I was about to say, Camby's remarks are even worse than Sprewell's last year. I call bullshit on the statement that NBA players can't afford to buy a couple suits.