The West Wing - "Message of the Week" - 10/09

Old 10-09-05, 11:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
The West Wing - "Message of the Week" - 10/09

"Message of the Week"
Spoiler:
The Vinick campaign tries to turn things around by targeting issues of immigration, issues Santos has avoided.
Old 10-09-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoiler:
they said on last week's promo that we would find out the leak this week. not only do we not find out, we don't even see the west wing!!

anyway, i am quickly growing tired of this campaign. i long for the days when the show was actually about what the title implies. there were a few laughs, like when mrs. tim taylor was fighting with hawkeye about the lying thing. overall though, just another so so hour.
Old 10-09-05, 10:24 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Yet another good episode imo.

It seemed as though they set Vinick up to be the villian.
But it was cool to see mistakes being made by both campaigns and how they reacted to every little word, or situation, or reply. Crazy to realize that politics are that feeble.

Awesome to think that Santos is a sex machine.
And did anyone else read about the live debate show?
w
Old 10-09-05, 10:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I liked it, except for the sappy moment at the end with the guy resigning.

The cat and mouse games between the two campaigns has been fun to watch. The leak story is a dud.

I wonder if they'll show the VP debate, Sullivan is smooth.
Old 10-09-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
totally different episode than what the preview last week showed, and the preview for next week, while similar to last week's doesn't look like exactly the same epsidoe that was suppsoed to be this week
did they refilm it or something?
Old 10-09-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Best episode of the season so far. It helped that there was no WH leak story involved.

That's pretty much what you have to do as a Republican - appease the religious right while at the same time not look like a Jesusfreak. Bush did this by saying he'd appoint Thomas-types but not following through on it once he got into office.
Old 10-09-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I miss the fast pace/wit dialogue the show initially had. It seems to have slowed down a lot. Is this the last season of the show? I don't think it is as bad now as it has been before, but I just don't like what has happened to it. It isn't near the show it was when I really enjoyed it. Too much change, not all for the good/bad.
Old 10-10-05, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by david12
It seemed as though they set Vinick up to be the villian.
What? A Republican being made out to be either a dick or the bad guy? Why, that rarely ever happens!

Kidding aside, it was great to finally have more balance in the presentation of the campaigns. Every week should be like this.

Martin Sheen hasn't been in the last two episodes at all, correct?
Old 10-10-05, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The West Wing is dead. I buried it. I grieved for it. And now I can just sit back and enjoy this campaign story, which is fun as long as they stay out of the White House and don't remind me what we lost.

das
Old 10-10-05, 10:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Thiiiiiis shooooooow is draaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiing.

Get the campaign over already.

I hate that they made Vinick a "liar". "Oooh, he can't be President, he lied." It would have been much to keep him a principled, tough competitor.
Old 10-10-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Thiiiiiis shooooooow is draaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiing.

Get the campaign over already.

I hate that they made Vinick a "liar". "Oooh, he can't be President, he lied." It would have been much to keep him a principled, tough competitor.

I don't think you can be President without lying about something in politics.
Old 10-10-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Though I only watched the episode to find out who the leak was I actually enjoyed it. The balance between the campaigns was good and this is how all the campaign episodes should be. I didn't think the guy resigning at the end was that sappy; I was actually surprised he lasted as long as he did after that meeting.
Old 10-10-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is no longer The West Wing, it's a spinoff. Sad, but true.
Old 10-13-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After watching the last season's replays this week on Bravo, I think I'm really going to dislike any future this show has relative to the past. From the begining the best parts of the show were the 3 fellas (Sam, Toby, Josh) and the interaction between Josh and Donna. Sam is gone, it looks like Toby is heading that way, and Donna is left out of the loop since Josh said he couldn't hire her, and there is no chance of her going to the republican side. The only recent changes for the good have been the addition of Kristin Chenowith (sp?) and bringing back Gino and Oliver Babbish. Other than that I don't like anything that has been happening.

And a quick Q. Can anyone explain why the CoS position went to CJ? Was this ever broached on? I remember a moment when it was told to Josh and Toby and they just accepted it like it was somehow the correct thing to do, but from the way CJ has acted in the past towards women's issues and military matters seems like this would be far from the case.

bring back Sam.
Old 10-14-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Donna is left out of the loop since Josh said he couldn't hire her(
I don't think Donna is permanently out of the loop. If Santos wins, Josh could hire her on. Her comments would keep her out of the picture during the election, but once its over I see no problem bringing her along.

Anyone else notice that some of the terminology from this past week's episode ("litmus test", for instance) is exactly the same as what we've been hearing in the news this week regarding Miers' confirmation debate? Not mind-blowing I guess, but interesting.

Last edited by Tommy_Harn; 10-14-05 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-14-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Anyone else notice that some of the terminology from this past week's episode ("litmus test", for instance) is exactly the same as what we've been hearing in the news this week regarding Miers' confirmation debate? Not mind-blowing I guess, but interesting.

The litmus test jargon for judicial appointments has been around for years.
Old 10-14-05, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, litmus test in regard to judicial appointments has traditionally been whther you are pro life or pro choice.