Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any reviews of Aussie horror flick "Undead"?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-05, 10:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

and will DVDTalk be doing one?
Old 10-08-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help you out about the R1 DVD, but I can say that the R4 release is awesome and totally packed to the brim with special features, and about the film itself, here is what I had to say right after watching it:

I finally got around to checking this one out, and I was very happy with what I saw. If you like any sort of zombie movie, the Evil Dead series, Dead Alive, and stuff like that then you really need to check this Australian flick out sometime. I don't know what the budget was exactly, but it is said to have been very little, but by watching the film you never could just guess such as that. They did a great job on such a small budget. They did better than some films that I've seen that had a huge budget.

The Spierig Brothers did a great job on every aspect of this, from the lighting, effects, sound effects, score, and on and on. This is a B-movie zombie movie, and every single thing about it makes sure you understand that. Well, everything but the effects, that is just great. The acting is fine also, aside from a little problem that I had with the main cop in the film. Just like in other films like this, it's just "too" over the top for me. Everyone else did great in my opinion.

What's so odd though, is that this is really unlike any other zombie type movie that I've ever seen. I don't really want to say much about the plot and what happens, but just rest assured, it's very much a roller-coaster ride with things that you just don't expect to happen, happening left and right. It's just flat out a film that'll have you saying "holy crap, now that was bad ass" over and over again.
Old 10-09-05, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The movie sucks. Rental only.
Old 10-09-05, 12:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I can't help you out about the R1 DVD, but I can say that the R4 release is awesome and totally packed to the brim with special features, and about the film itself, here is what I had to say right after watching it:

I finally got around to checking this one out, and I was very happy with what I saw. If you like any sort of zombie movie, the Evil Dead series, Dead Alive, and stuff like that then you really need to check this Australian flick out sometime. I don't know what the budget was exactly, but it is said to have been very little, but by watching the film you never could just guess such as that. They did a great job on such a small budget. They did better than some films that I've seen that had a huge budget.

The Spierig Brothers did a great job on every aspect of this, from the lighting, effects, sound effects, score, and on and on. This is a B-movie zombie movie, and every single thing about it makes sure you understand that. Well, everything but the effects, that is just great. The acting is fine also, aside from a little problem that I had with the main cop in the film. Just like in other films like this, it's just "too" over the top for me. Everyone else did great in my opinion.

What's so odd though, is that this is really unlike any other zombie type movie that I've ever seen. I don't really want to say much about the plot and what happens, but just rest assured, it's very much a roller-coaster ride with things that you just don't expect to happen, happening left and right. It's just flat out a film that'll have you saying "holy crap, now that was bad ass" over and over again.
well, that puts me over the top.
Old 10-09-05, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's one.
Old 10-09-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hated this movie, and I LOVE zombie movies (Braindead is one of my all time favorite movies). But Undead was awful. Not only was the plot ridiculous and the characters horrible (farmer Joe is supposed to be a badass???), but the movie was just bland. There were a few good gore scenes, but the action was so by-the-book that I really found myself bored to tears.

I would not recommend buying this one blind. Definitely rent it first.
Old 10-18-05, 12:36 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted to like this movie, but it just wasn't meant to be. After all the hype about how great it is, it just felt to me like a calculated attempt to be a horror-comedy cult classic like Dead Alive or Evil Dead II. What's worse, I found it neither funny nor scary... ever. It chugged along, throwing gore and quirkiness out there but it never wowed me. And the thing I hated the most was the one thing I imagine the filmmakers intended to be the highlight... Farmer Marion.

They had an interesting idea with
Spoiler:
the aliens trying to cure the humans.
But they executed this idea poorly.
Old 10-18-05, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The budget was $AUD1 million.
Old 10-18-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I thought the movie blew - and I usually love zombie movies.
Old 10-18-05, 08:28 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolute GARBAGE. I too love Zombie movies but man was this crap. Everyone was so annoying with all the screeching and yelling at each other that I felt like going to Oz and killing all those bastards myself. The special effects look like they were done in some guys basement with a cheapo $200 computer. Cool cover artwork though!