Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Sopranos Theme question...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know who sings the version of the Sopranos Theme "Woke Up This Morning"? It appears that the band A3 (Alabama 3) wrote the song, but it sounds like Leonard Cohen singing it. I tried to listen to the samples on Amazon, but its unclear.

-signed Confused.
Old 10-06-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know, but it always make me think of the band Shreikback. Are you talking about the opening theme?
Old 10-06-05, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i always thought it was leonard cohen. then again, i haven't watched that show since season 2...
Old 10-07-05, 09:39 AM

It is most definitely A3, however I did not know they were also called Alabama 3. Thanks. I actually picked up that A3 disc out of the free bin in 1997, I think, before I even heard of The Sopranos. It's a very eclectic disc, and you should pick it up. There is a John Prine cover on it. I will now research to see if they have put anything else out. I always wondered if they had another disc.
Old 10-07-05, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not Leonard Cohen. A3.
Old 10-07-05, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by duse
It is most definitely A3, however I did not know they were also called Alabama 3. Thanks. I actually picked up that A3 disc out of the free bin in 1997, I think, before I even heard of The Sopranos. It's a very eclectic disc, and you should pick it up. There is a John Prine cover on it. I will now research to see if they have put anything else out. I always wondered if they had another disc.
the Alabama was dropped for the US market cause they didn't want to get confused with the other Alabama group.

I cant seem to post this album cover but if you notice in this link the cover album is the same, the LABAMA is dropped and shortened to A3

A3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane

other albums:

Outlaw (2005)

Last Train to Mashville ('acoustic' album) (2003)

Power in the Blood (2002)

La Peste (2000)

Last edited by Giles; 10-07-05 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-07-05, 01:04 PM

You learn something new everyday. I pull this out and listen to it every so often, but I have enjoyed it. I will listen to it tonight. The copy I have is a two disc set, w/ the second disc being remixes of some of the songs on the first CD. I noticed on both Amazon and the link you provided that it is only one disc listed. I wonder what I have? I did not think it was anything special. I also saw it was released in March, 1998, but I remember putting it on a mix tape labeled "12/97" to kinda track what I was listening to at that particular time. I wonder if I had a promo? I don't remember if it was a cutout or not. Thanks to the OP. I'll have to check out their other stuff.
Old 10-07-05, 01:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by duse
You learn something new everyday. I pull this out and listen to it every so often, but I have enjoyed it. I will listen to it tonight. The copy I have is a two disc set, w/ the second disc being remixes of some of the songs on the first CD. I noticed on both Amazon and the link you provided that it is only one disc listed. I wonder what I have? I did not think it was anything special. I also saw it was released in March, 1998, but I remember putting it on a mix tape labeled "12/97" to kinda track what I was listening to at that particular time. I wonder if I had a promo? I don't remember if it was a cutout or not. Thanks to the OP. I'll have to check out their other stuff.

the UK market is notorious for reissuing discs or pressing first editions with a second disc of goodies. (remixes, live cuts, non-album tracks, videos). I also happen to own the double disc edition as well.
Old 10-08-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
while we're on tv themes (i don't want to start a new thread on just a simple question), but who does the theme song for "the shield" and do they have any cd's out?