Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

XBox360: Are you getting a Live subscription?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Are you getting a Live subscription with your Xbox360
Yes! I cant wait to play online
52.63%
No! Its a useless feature to me
21.05%
No-I would but I cant play online currently
5.26%
I'll wait and see if I will later
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-05-05, 12:46 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard theres a promotion if you buy a years subscription you get $20 off on a game? Is that MIR or towards a purchase in the store?
Old 10-05-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You don't have an option for Yes, I currently have Xbox Live and will migrate my account to the Xbox 360. The $20 off is a mail-in rebate this blurb from the Xbox.com website:
If you're looking for a truly engaging and immersive online multiplayer experience pick up one of the Xbox Live Premium Gold Packs, which includes the new Xbox 360 Headset, Xbox Live Arcade games, Microsoft Points for use in Xbox Live Marketplace, and mail-in rebates for up to $20 off any Xbox 360 game.
Old 10-05-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If When If I get a 360 I won't be getting Live.

It's a great feature and I'm glad MS pulled it off, but it's just not for me.. I seriously shed tears for the hope of humanity almost every time I got online to play, so I'll take the ostrich syndrome this time around. The new stuff sounds pretty promising since they're launching it with the console this time.
Old 10-05-05, 01:31 PM
Retired

I'm with Pixy on this one. I don't see myself doing any online gaming on any next gen consoles.

Just not my cup of tea.
Old 10-05-05, 01:36 PM
RVP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Edison
You don't have an option for Yes, I currently have Xbox Live and will migrate my account to the Xbox 360. The $20 off is a mail-in rebate this blurb from the Xbox.com website:
I have Live now and was wondering how moving your acount will work, once I can afford a 360 that is.
Old 10-05-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I already have LIVE, so I'll just migrate it over.

I think the 360 LIVE pack will be $70 also, with a $20 MIR...I guess it's a decent deal since you get an extra headset too. I may just find another card and renew. Somewhere just had them for $30.

I think the LIVE account moves rather easy. Also, if you have it linked to a passport account, I think it moves seamlessly.
Old 10-05-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's with the Live Silver membership thing? Is that new for the 360? Seems as though it doesn't include online play, but just chatting and a profile. What's the point of that?
Old 10-05-05, 02:47 PM
Retired

You can also download the updates, expansions, etc. with the Silver Membership.

So that's the main point of it I guess.
Old 10-05-05, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
Originally Posted by Edison
if/when I get one Live just carries over. I'm betting you just put in your info on the 360 and it will connect the same way the current box does.
Old 10-05-05, 03:11 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

The silver membership will have 'free weekends' to tempt you to buy the gold membership. basically you can play just like a gold member during specific time slots.
Old 10-06-05, 11:19 PM

My thinking, is that by giving the ability to get the updates for free, it's also going to open the door to them issuing fixes because the games get shipped to early. Essentially they are going to turn the 360 into a PC gaming situation.
Old 10-06-05, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirgey
My thinking, is that by giving the ability to get the updates for free, it's also going to open the door to them issuing fixes because the games get shipped to early. Essentially they are going to turn the 360 into a PC gaming situation.
People said the same thing about the first XBox, and except for a few patches, it never happened.

As for the original question, no, I won't. CS, MOH:AA, and Subspace on PC are the only games I have any desire to play online.
Old 10-07-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 294 Posts
I won't be getting Live. I just didn't play it enough before to justify the $50.
Old 10-07-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm only interested in downloading game updates, patches, etc.....
Old 10-07-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I pretty much suck at these new gen games so no, I won't be getting Live for fear of crazy hardcore gamers hunting me down because of it.
Old 10-08-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys should really re-think this one. The new Live system will have different gamer categories, so if you just want to play for fun, you can play in a "recreational" game where people like you are just playing for fun. There is also a family zone where no profanity is allowed.

All the ingrates and 7th graders will be playing in either the underground "where anything goes" or the hardcore gamer category.

This should solve many of the problems with Xbox Live.

If you haven't read up on this, you should, because it's probably one of the best upgrades MS is making to the service.
Old 10-08-05, 01:01 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by DamingR
You guys should really re-think this one. The new Live system will have different gamer categories, so if you just want to play for fun, you can play in a "recreational" game where people like you are just playing for fun. There is also a family zone where no profanity is allowed.

All the ingrates and 7th graders will be playing in either the underground "where anything goes" or the hardcore gamer category.

This should solve many of the problems with Xbox Live.

If you haven't read up on this, you should, because it's probably one of the best upgrades MS is making to the service.
Honestly thats what im counting on--The ability to filter out the type of people you want to play with. It will be interesting to see the reputation system work.
Old 10-08-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 910 Likes on 645 Posts
I'm more exciting about this than the actual system. And since it is on their end they could implement it for the current Live if they wanted to, but this makes a solid marketing tool for the 360.

Anyone who gets branded as a cheater, screamer, etc. will be forced to play against other cheaters, screamers, etc. Brilliant. I can't wait.
Old 10-08-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My brother wants me to get Live so he can rape me at Halo 2. But I do need the new maps....but by the time I can afford the 360, I might not want the maps anymore.
Old 10-08-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SleepyW
My brother wants me to get Live so he can rape me at Halo 2. But I do need the new maps....but by the time I can afford the 360, I might not want the maps anymore.
I believe the new maps are all free now. If you (or your brother) can get a hold of a two month free trial code, you've run out of excuses