Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

My Morning Jacket - "Z" - Yay!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-04-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any MMJ fans?

I was very very disappointed with their major label debut "It Still Moves" as it was mostly noise and lacking in any of the melody or soul which made "At Dawn" so amazing to listen to. I must say, this is an album for those of us who may be looking for the band to grow. It retains all of what was good about "At Dawn" but is soaked with melody and hooks. I guess it's a little more poppy, but man alive, they deserve a pat on the back for this effort.

Shame on RCA, however, for delivering a shoddy copy protected disc. It's not a problem for those of us who know how to use a computer though. Don't let that discourage you... it's $7.99 at Best Buy.
Old 10-04-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Z is amazing. MMJ have just gone from a band I like to a band I'll always follow. Excellent, excellent effort.
Old 10-04-05, 11:21 PM

MMJ are easily my favorite band at the moment. I think Z is fantastic too, but it's too short! Wish it was more like 15 tracks. "Lay Low" is just absolutely dazzling when it gets into the extended guitar jam.

I love It Still Moves too though (like it better than At Dawn in fact, I know I'm in the minority of MMJ fans there) and I have to say although Z works better as an overall album, other than "Lay Low" and "Dondante" the individual tracks on Z generally don't reach the glorious epic heights of "Mahgeetah", "One Big Holiday" or "Run Thru" for me. Basically Z has fewer peaks and valleys than It Still Moves and is more consistently solid as a front-to-back album.

Anyone who remotely likes anything this band has done, DO NOT MISS their live show. Best live rock band on earth right now.

Best Buy and Circuit City were both sold out of Z today at 2pm.
Old 10-05-05, 08:38 AM

Fantastic album! As Hollowgen says, this is the product of a growing band. I would have never expected an album like this when I first heard The Tennessee Fire (though "Cobra" on the Chocolate and Ice EP was a good hint).

Somewhat significant, this turns out to be their best recorded (sound-quality-wise) album to date. All of their past releases seemed to be a bit lacking in the mastering department.
Old 10-05-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TropicalRobot
I think Z is fantastic too, but it's too short! Wish it was more like 15 tracks.
I noticed that the iTunes version has a bonus track.
Old 10-05-05, 10:44 PM

I am seeing them for the second time live on Friday, this time with opener Kathleen Edwards who I am also kind of glad to see. I was first row, right in front of the stage last time they played and was amazed. Besides Bob Dylan they played by far the greatest show I have seen. Will pick up Z maybe if the price is alright. Not sporting much cash since it is $17 to get in. Support MMJ.
Old 10-06-05, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
just "discovered" them, and I like what I hear...