Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

My Review Of Star Trek Nemesis: CE

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well , I just got my Star Trek Nemesis CE a few hours ago and i'm pretty impressed. i checked out most of the features and the movie and sound. Here's My Review:

PACKAGING :

First Of All i think that the packaging here isn't that great. The discs overlape each other, and it still pisses me off that Paramount isn't including inserts in their SCE Star Trek DVD's. Anyway , I switched my Star Trek Generations CE Case with the Nemesis Packaging and now I have Generations in the overlape case and Nemesis in the original CE packaging.

DISC ONE -

Menus : The disc menu opens up with a shot of the enterprise flying past Remus, and then zooms to the Remus mines and we get are selections of PLAY MOVIE , SCENE SELECTION , SET UP , AND COMMENTARIES. Pretty sharp menus.

Picture : The 2.35:1 Widescreen transfer on this release is the same as the 1-disc picture. But , it still looks great.

Sound : The Dolby Digital 5.1 is the same as the 1-disc release. But , the welcome addition of DTS is supurb. The best part is the space battle. TURN IT UP LOUD!

Commentaries : Have'nt Listened To Them Yet

DISC TWO :

Menus : We see a shot of the enterprise and the scimatar as the menu zooms to the planet Romulas. The menu then pops up to the outside of romulan senate buliding, as we get our selections. Better than Disc One.

The New Deleted Scenes : Well first off , the deleted scenes from the 1-disc version are included on the CE. Okay, to the new stuff. The picture quality on the new scenes aren't very good, but it will do. The content in the scenes are very brief. There is two deleted scenes however that is a welcome addition to the set. "Wesley's New Mission" , and "Data and B-4". They both would have been great if they were re-edited back into the film.

Behind The Scenes Featurettes : All of the Featurettes on the previous release on the CE. I haven't got a chance to look at the new ones yet.

Trailers : Well, one good addition to the CE is the teaser and theatrical trailer for the film. They were not on the 1-disc edition , and that made me kinda mad. I think every movie should have their trailers on there DVD's. So , the trailers are presented in non-anamorphic widescreen and in Dolby Digital 5.1.

I WILL BE BACK LATER WITH MORE INFO ON THE FEATURES

Last edited by mbw555; 10-04-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so when will the box set be out so i can buy all the trek movies in one go ?

I only own Star Trek 1 and have been waiting for a boxset I was also put off by the bilingual crappy packaging here in canada so was in no hurry to pick them up, but will buy a box set from US when its released.
Old 10-06-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where can you pick up a single double alpha case so that none are in those wretched Scanavo overlapping pieces of shit? Thanks Paramount for doing this to the last movie release. I know they did it on a small amount of other recent ST SE releases but it looks like all of them this time.
Old 10-06-05, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dazed
so when will the box set be out so i can buy all the trek movies in one go ?

I only own Star Trek 1 and have been waiting for a boxset I was also put off by the bilingual crappy packaging here in canada so was in no hurry to pick them up, but will buy a box set from US when its released.
The complete box set came out the same day as Nemesis. I was looking at it earlier today and was also disapointed with the bilingual packaging.
Old 10-06-05, 08:34 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always read about people that actually break their discs trying to get them out of over-tight hubs, but always thought they were being careless and impatient. Well, I almost joined their ranks on this one...it was like Disc One was fused to the hub. I've heard even bending a disc, not breaking it, can cause playback problems, so I hope that doesn't end up being the case since it was quite a chore to release the disc...
Old 10-06-05, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
Where can you pick up a single double alpha case so that none are in those wretched Scanavo overlapping pieces of shit?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=265683

My fave is inetdvd.com -- many different flavors of case available.
Old 10-06-05, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mbw555, welcome to DVDtalk If you take a moment to look around you'll see we have multiple forums/areas focusing on specific topics. One of them is a Review and Recommendation forum which is where threads such as this should go

Thanks
Old 10-06-05, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by nemein
mbw555, welcome to DVDtalk If you take a moment to look around you'll see we have multiple forums/areas focusing on specific topics. One of them is a Review and Recommendation forum which is where threads such as this should go

Thanks
Ok , Thanks.
Old 10-06-05, 12:35 PM

I Am Just Watching The Featurettes On The DVD. Be Back Soon With Reviews On Them.
Old 10-06-05, 01:45 PM

Just Watched "NEMESIS REVISITED" Featurette, Which Is New To The CE. It is much better than the other featurettes that were on the first DVD. I Will Be Back With More Featurette Review Soon.
Old 10-06-05, 01:53 PM

Does anyone have a bit rate comparison of the new 2 disc release of Nemesis compared to the first single disc release?

I'm trying to find any information I can comparing the video quality of the two releases, and if there's any reason the new two-disc set is better. I've read that it's the same transfer, with the same video.