Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KORN: "See You On The Other Side" -12/6/05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Korn's Moves To 'Other Side' On New Album

Korn will release its first album as part of its new deal with Virgin/EMI just in time for the holiday season. Due Dec. 6, "See You on the Other Side" is led by the single "Twisted Transistor," which is quickly making substantial noise on U.S. rock radio outlets.

The cut debuted last week at No. 27 on Billboard's Modern Rock airplay tally and jumped 31-19 on the Mainstream Rock chart.

"See You on the Other Side" was produced by Korn frontman Jonathan Davis in tandem with Atticus Ross and, more surprisingly, the pop hitmaking team the Matrix (Liz Phair, Hilary Duff). Additional album details have yet to be revealed.

The project is the follow-up to 2003's "Take a Look in the Mirror," which peaked at No. 9.

Having recently wrapped a European tour in Moscow, Korn is in the planning stages of a North American run.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 10-06-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rappers Overtake Korn In 'Twisted' Video

When Korn frontman Jonathan Davis got frustrated that MTV never seemed to play rock videos anymore, he had an idea: why not get a bunch of the band's friends who are hip-hop stars to play Korn in a video. That's exactly what transpires in the clip for the new single, "Twisted Transistor," which finds Lil' Jon, Xzibit, Snoop Dogg and David Banner stepping into the roles of Davis, bassist Fieldy, guitarist Munky and drummer David Silveria, respectively.

Davis tells Billboard.com the idea came to him, of all places, while he was cruising around on a yacht in Monte Carlo with Silveria and Munky. "I flew it over to Dave Meyers, because he's the go-to guy for great hip-hop videos, and he spun it and wrote the treatment," Davis says.

Although Davis declined to reveal specifics, he confirms Korn appears "somewhere" in the video and that the rap stars will be seen playing instruments, since "they're in our world. Just getting four rappers in the same place is near f***ing impossible, but we pulled it off."

Davis says in addition to the standard-length clip, there will also be a seven or eight-minute mini-movie version. "It's so amazing," he enthuses. "It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen."

As previously reported, "Twisted Transistor" is drawn from Korn's upcoming Virgin debut, "See You on the Other Side," due Dec. 6. Davis says the group recorded 12 songs with hitmaking production team the Matrix and another eight with producer Atticus Ross.

"The regular version of the album will have 14 songs, and there'll be a special edition which has 17," Davis says. "The whole record in its entirety is so different. There are some straight-ahead, heavy rock tunes, but they're a different kind of heavy. It's like we have this industrial bastard child that flailed its head out of us."

Korn will play a handful of shows before the end of the year, but Davis says he expects a full North American tour won't get underway until March or April.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 10-07-05, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sweet! I always look forward to a new Korn album.
Old 10-10-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cant wait. Though I prefer the Korn of old I will still get it
Old 12-12-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BestBuy.com now has the full length Twisted Transistor video up, as well as 4 songs from the album streaming. What do you all think? I've watched the video (very funny) and listened to one song so far (Last Legal Drug) and I'm pretty underwhelmed. While it's better than their last album, which I hated with a passion, it doesn't come close to the dark brooding sounds of their older ones. I'm gonna listen to the other tracks on the website before I make my final decision on if I should buy it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....cat76200050010
Old 12-12-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I listened to the album and thought it was awful. Heavy NIN influences-which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't work here.
Old 12-12-05, 02:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I downloaded it when it leaked, and listened to it a few times. At first, I didn't really think it was that great (even though they're one of my top three favourite bands), but it grew on me. I still don't like it as much as their older stuff, though. Issues and their Self-Titled Debut are my favourite koRn albums.
Old 12-12-05, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked it up the other night. I really enjoyed the first single, and have liked all the korn lp's to date. However with this release, I have to agree with the general consensus here. Its a very marginal release. Most of the heavy guitar riffs have been replaced with generic chords. Also it seems like alot of the energy has slipped. Alot of the anger and agression seemed to have left the songs. It just felt kind of un-inspired. Maybe it will grow on me with repeated listens but its already lost rotation in my car's cd player.
Old 12-15-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Twisted Transistor" is pretty damn good
Old 12-19-05, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Finally gave this a good, one-sitting listen today and I really like it. When I heard that the Matrix was going to produce some of the album, I didn't know what to expect. Seems like this album has their most hook-filled songs (for lack of a better term), which I would think would be the Matrix's influence. A different sound, not Korn's best work, but enjoyable, IMO.

Good to hear a lot of bagpipes, even if it is just on the interludes.
Old 12-22-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got the Deluxe Version. Good Album

3 Favorites:
Twisted Transistor
Hypocrites
Liar
Old 03-13-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Korn Enjoying 'Addition By Subtraction'

"Addition by subtraction" is how James "Munky" Shaffer characterizes the sudden departure of former Korn guitarist Brian "Head" Welch for spiritual reasons over a year ago. "It was unfortunate what happened to him but if he didn't leave, I don't think we would have pushed ourselves to come up with the great new sound and give ourselves another 10 years possibly," Shaffer tells Billboard.com.

Nearing double-platinum status, Korn's latest album, "See You on the Other Side" marks a new beginning for the hard rock act. The 14-track set, the debut release as part of Korn's unique creative partnership with EMI/Virgin Records, found band visionary Jonathan Davis sharing producer duties with the Matrix and Atticus Ross.

"We wanted to see if a combination of a pop producer and a rock band would work," Shaffer says. "And it did. We really just wanted to experiment."

Apparently the experimentation hasn't stopped. Korn has been unearthing lost gems ("Divine" from 1994's "Korn" and "Dirty" from 1999's "Issues") and reworking a few hits ("Freak on a Leash" from 1998's "Follow the Leader") during its latest run of live dates. A European tour is expected in the summer before another Stateside jaunt, to possibly be followed by South American dates.

In addition, Shaffer says he and Davis have already written five new tracks for the band's next album. While he wouldn't divulge song titles, he did say the material is in the vein of "See You on the Other Side" tracks "Love Song" and "Coming Undone." Recording isn't expected to get underway until late 2006 or early 2007.

Shaffer also has a solo instrumental project is on the horizon. "It's strictly for guitar nerds like myself who love to tinker and tweak guitar sounds," Shaffer says, adding that it's full of "trippy noises and ambient stuff. I'm now really just working on the first two tracks and it won't be for another year or a year and a half before I can give it to the people. It's not something I'm going to go tour or anything like that. It's just something that I want to do for myself."

The guitarist says another Korn DVD release is imminent, featuring a concert recorded last November at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom. No release date has been confirmed.

"There's some more footage of us doing a very expansive press tour," Shaffer says, "but we're still trying to come up with enough material because we need cool stuff to put in there so people will be drawn in to watch more than five minutes of us picking our noses in Germany."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 03-13-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Double plat for the latest Korn album!?! I actually forgot about this album, I have to pick it up.
Old 03-17-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw them last night in Long Beach, Ca. They sounded great, kinda different without Head on guitar. They played like 7-9 songs from their new album, a medley of alot of songs and their hits [duh!].... My neck hurts
Old 03-17-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Saw them last night in Long Beach, Ca. They sounded great, kinda different without Head on guitar. They played like 7-9 songs from their new album, a medley of alot of songs and their hits [duh!].... My neck hurts

My buddy went to this show.

I swear, every friggin show I wanna see this year is scheduled on a night that I have to work.
Old 03-19-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
My buddy went to this show.

I swear, every friggin show I wanna see this year is scheduled on a night that I have to work.
Concerts are about the only thing I use vacation time for.

Girlfriend: What are we doing for my birthday?
Me: I have to work.
Girlfriend: You took the night off to see Children of Bodom, but not for me.
Me: