Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Dark Angel movie: could it get greenlit?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-01-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I figured since a few DVD sales was enough to greenlight a movie that continues a little seen series, is it possible that this short lived series could get one.

Let's say that Jessica Alba agreed to star, James Cameron agreed to write and direct, but the catch would be that it continued the series of TV and might alienate some people. Could it get a greenlight, or would people figure since it didn't make it on TV it might be best to leave it at that?
Old 10-01-05, 10:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Let's say that Jessica Alba agreed to star, James Cameron agreed to write and direct, but the catch would be that it continued the series of TV and might alienate some people. Could it get a greenlight, or would people figure since it didn't make it on TV it might be best to leave it at that?

Well, Cameron could get anything greenlit.

But outside of him, no. Plus the potential failure of SERENITY this weekend at the box office (it opened horribly on Friday) will probably put the wet blanket on movies centered around cult TV shows for now.
Old 10-01-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt it. I know lots of fans who even felt the second season was a huge disappointment. Cameron certainly isn't jumping to put this onto his plate and without Cameron, I don't see it happening...plus, I've never seen very many vocal Dark Angel fans...whereas Firefly fans tend to never shut up (myself included)

MATT

Last edited by mdc3000; 10-01-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-01-05, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Scott: Where do you see Friday box office numbers...I see nothing yet...I know you've got some personal vendetta against Serenity, so back it up with figures.
"vendetta"

The numbers are out. 3.9mil on Friday. Check the box office thread.
Old 10-01-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wish, I loved Dark Angel, even the second season. I would go see it
Old 10-01-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

my apologies Scott....

MATT
Old 10-01-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by scott shelton
The numbers are out. 3.9mil on Friday. Check the box office thread.
Guess they didn't take into account the Yanks/Sox game.
Old 10-01-05, 01:15 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
If it were R and had tons of nude scenes with bicycles and animal people and barcodes and that Savage guy's grimace...

... what I am thinking.

Nope.

Old 10-01-05, 03:04 PM

Well, Cameron could get anything greenlit.

But outside of him, no. Plus the potential failure of SERENITY this weekend at the box office (it opened horribly on Friday) will probably put the wet blanket on movies centered around cult TV shows for now.
3.9 mil on Friday, 10+ for the weekend, all while playing on a limited number of screens in the early fall is not what I would call horrible. Granted, the prospect of a sequel is still up in the air, but you're making it sound like this movie bombed.
Old 10-01-05, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I read somewhere, possibly TVGuide.com, that Universal told Whedon it had to make back it's cost.

Or something like that..
Old 10-01-05, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doughboy
3.9 mil on Friday, 10+ for the weekend, all while playing on a limited number of screens in the early fall is not what I would call horrible. Granted, the prospect of a sequel is still up in the air, but you're making it sound like this movie bombed.
Limited number of screens? Are you joking?

Since when is 2000+ screens "limited?"

Also, what does this have to do with DARK ANGEL?
Old 10-01-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Limited number of screens? Are you joking?

Since when is 2000+ screens "limited?"

Also, what does this have to do with DARK ANGEL?
2100 screens isn't limited, but it's not a very wide release. Most wide releases get around 50% more screens.

The film isn't cleaning up, but it's not outright bombing. Nobody thought this would make 100 million, or even 75 million.

As for a Dark Angel movie...well, if Cameron was involved of course it'd get the greenlight. Of course, if Cameron wanted to make a movie about Bobcat Goldthwait's bathroom habits, he could probably get that greenlit too.
Old 10-01-05, 05:42 PM

2000+ is pretty wide release to me.
Old 10-01-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would hardly call it a failure. the expectations was around 12-16 million for the weekend.

I remember a certain someone who thought it wouldn't even pass 10 million. With friday's numbers, it will pass 10 million for the weekend. Maybe end up around 12 million. While it's not a huge success or something that would be nicer on paper, it's still a good take for a film of its nature.

You know, small cult following that has a series attached to it that would normally turn off folks from seeing a film.

Dark Angel on the other hand.. The series went on a decline and lost a lot of followers of it in the second season. I don't see it as having much film potential.
Old 10-02-05, 02:20 AM

1: I don't think 3 million or so counts as a success with that amount of screenings.

2: Firefly was a cult hit. Part of that cult appeal was the fact it didn't last long and if you notice, it's not like Serenity TIES itself with Firefly by the trailers. Yes, it has enough for those Firefly fans to have geek-gasms, but it also could be taken as just another sci-fi film for those who have no clue about Firefly.
Old 10-02-05, 10:00 AM

didnt have a huge decline for a second season, figure it moved to friday (worst day of the week) it was usually winning its hour or coming in second