Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Extended / Unrated / Director's Cuts: The Lists

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-29-05, 02:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of doing an article on "Extended / Unrated / Director's Cuts," and I could use some help slapping some lists together.

Break 'em down into four categories:

Unrated Versions (aka Shameless Marketing Gimmicks)

Dodgeball, Not Another Teen Movie, Scary Movie 3, Don't Be a Menace..., Coyote Ugly, etc.

"Director's Cuts" that the director probably wasn't even involved in:

Gone in 60 Seconds, Tears of the Sun, etc.

"Director's Cuts" that are actually worthwhile or interesting in some way, or are clearly endorsed by the filmmaker:

Alien, LOTR, Gladiator, Star Wars, etc.

Plain old "extended" versions that aren't "director's cuts," but actually contain some interesting footage for the fans:

Stripes, Mallrats, The Blues Brothers, etc.

Also, do feel free to share your own opinions on the various "non-theatrical" versions (which ones are best, which are worst, etc.), and your opinions on these kinds of releases in general.
Old 09-29-05, 08:55 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
hey! I already started a list...

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ate+director+s
Old 09-29-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott Weinberg
"Director's Cuts" that are actually worthwhile or interesting in some way, or are clearly endorsed by the filmmaker:

Alien, LOTR, Gladiator, Star Wars, etc.

Plain old "extended" versions that aren't "director's cuts," but actually contain some interesting footage for the fans:

Stripes, Mallrats, The Blues Brothers, etc.
On the 'Alien' disc, Ridley Scott makes it clear that the term "Director's Cut" is just a marketing gimmick, and that his preferred cut is the original ... so I think that should maybe be in extended versions. And 'Lord of the Rings' is definitely marked "extended" (as is 'Gladiator', I believe). The director was involved in re-cutting them, but, hell, Kevin Smith re-cut 'Mallrats' himself, but it's not a director's cut either.

On the other hand, I don't have the disc, but I was under the impression that the extended 'Blues Brothers' was John Landis's preferred cut, and the shorter version was released only because the studio insisted. The extended version is the one which has always been available, the theatrical is new to this release.

What about unrated cuts where there's actually a reason? I'm sure there's a better example I'm not thinking of, but 'Bad Santa' had a whole extra (small) chunk towards the beginning; I felt like that one had a little more merit than many of the others (maybe just because it was released at the same time and not as a double-dip).

If you mention 'Star Wars', you should also point out that 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' is unavailable in its original version. [As, for that matter, are 'The Wild Bunch' and 'A Streetcar Named Desire'; I believe there are a few other genuine classics which are only available in re-cut versions.]

Oh, and this article should probably mention the 'Dawn of the Dead' Ultimate Edition.
Old 09-29-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1941: Fully Restored Version with Bonus Footage--Collector's Edition
Abyss, The--Special Edition
Alien--2003 Director's Cut
Aliens--1991 Special Edition
Alien 3--2003 Special Edition
Alien Resurrection--2003 Special Edition
Apocalypse Now Redux
Apollo 13--IMAX Version
Armageddon: Exclusive Director's Cut--The Criterion Collection
Big Red One, The: The Reconstruction
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut
Blues Brothers, The: Expanded Version w/Bonus Footage--Collector's Edition/25th Anniversary Edition
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle--Unrated Widescreen Special Edition
Close Encounters of the Third Kind--The Collector's Edition
Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut
Duel--Collector's Edition
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial--2002 Release
Exorcist, William Peter Blatty's The: The Version You've Never Seen
Ghosts of the Abyss
Gladiator [2000]--Extended Edition
Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The--Special Edition Collector's Set
Halloween, John Carpenter's: Television Version
Independence Day: Special Edition [2000]
It, Stephen King's (Movie-Edit Version)
Kalifornia (Unrated Version)
Leon (a.k.a. The Professional)--Uncut International Deluxe Edition
Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 2: Director's Cut
Lethal Weapon 3: Director's Cut
Lord of the Rings, The: The Fellowship of the Ring--Special Extended Edition
Lord of the Rings, The: The Two Towers--Special Extended Edition
Lord of the Rings, The: The Return of the King--Special Extended Edition
Mallrats--10th Anniversary Extended Edition
Pearl Harbor: The Director's Cut--Vista Series
Ring Two, The--Unrated Edition
Sling Blade: Exclusive Director's Cut--Collector's Series
Spartacus: Uncut and Fully Restored--The Criterion Collection
Star Trek: The Motion Picture--The Director's Edition
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan--The Director's Edition
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country--Special Collector's Edition
Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope--2004 Director's Cut
Star Wars, Ep. V: The Empire Strikes Back--2004 Executive Producer's Cut
Star Wars, Ep. VI: Return of the Jedi--2004 Executive Producer's Cut
Stargate: Special Edition [1996]
Strangers on a Train, Alfred Hitchcock's--Preview Version
Superman [1978]--Expanded Edition
Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Special Edition [1993]
Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Extended Spec. Ed. [2000] (easter egg)
There's Something About Mary--There's Something More About Mary Collector's Edition
THX-1138--The George Lucas Director's Cut
X-Files, The: Fight the Future--Extended Home Video Version

Sort them as you see fit; frankly, I find the category for "Director's Cuts" that the director probably wasn't even involved in" to be silly and presumptuous--who are any of us to say?
Old 09-29-05, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Sort them as you see fit; frankly, I find the category for "Director's Cuts" that the director probably wasn't even involved in" to be silly and presumptuous--who are any of us to say?
I can see the point of showing how the line can be blurred as far as marketing gimmicks go ... like, for a while, "Director's Cut" was the thing to claim, whether it was or not ... but in some cases, "Unrated Edition" becomes the selling point ...

Furthering your point, though ... We can certainly say that David Fincher was not connected with the re-cut of "Alien 3" ... yet doesn't that cut have merit because they were trying to restore his ideas? What about stuff done after the director's were dead? [Peckinpah certainly, or that final Donald Cammell movie, the one with Walken whose name I forget.]

For that matter, we know that 'Empire Strikes Back' and "Return of the Jedi' were re-cut by somebody other than the director... more/less merit?

Also, a list as long as yours ought to have 'Brazil' on it. Not that I'm criticizing -- you definitely have ones that aren't on the other master list that Giles put up. (And I always forget about Duel.)

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 09-29-05 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-29-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Die Hard had an "extended edition" on the 5-Star Collection. Rocky Horror Picture Show...is that a Director's Cut, or just an extended version? And what about Clerks...would the "Sundance Cut" count for anything? It's not quite a director's cut, but it is an extended edition....

There are some very blurry lines here.
Old 09-29-05, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Die Hard had an "extended edition" on the 5-Star Collection. Rocky Horror Picture Show...is that a Director's Cut, or just an extended version? And what about Clerks...would the "Sundance Cut" count for anything? It's not quite a director's cut, but it is an extended edition....

There are some very blurry lines here.
In regards to Die Hard - the first film? I know that each film have extended/deleted scenes as a supplement - but an expanded cut???

For 'Rocky Horror': (from IMDB):

The US cut: this cut doesn't include "Superheroes" but adds the song "Once in a While" as an outtake
The UK cut: this cut features "Superheroes."
A 'Conceptual Version', which is an easter egg on the DVD: it has everything up to "The Time Warp" in black and white.
Old 09-29-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
In regards to Die Hard - the first film? I know that each film have extended/deleted scenes as a supplement - but an expanded cut???

For 'Rocky Horror': (from IMDB):

The US cut: this cut doesn't include "Superheroes" but adds the song "Once in a While" as an outtake
The UK cut: this cut features "Superheroes."
A 'Conceptual Version', which is an easter egg on the DVD: it has everything up to "The Time Warp" in black and white.
Yes, the first film is set up so that you can watch the "Power Grid" scene (or whatever it was called) integrated back into the movie. It's somewhat unnecessary, but an interesting supplement.

And as for Rocky Horror, I know that it has the three different versions. My question was more about whether or not the "UK Version" was considered a "Director's Cut," or if it's merely an "Extended Edition." That is, does the director prefer one or the other?
Old 09-29-05, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Yes, the first film is set up so that you can watch the "Power Grid" scene (or whatever it was called) integrated back into the movie. It's somewhat unnecessary, but an interesting supplement.

And as for Rocky Horror, I know that it has the three different versions. My question was more about whether or not the "UK Version" was considered a "Director's Cut," or if it's merely an "Extended Edition." That is, does the director prefer one or the other?
as to Rocky Horror - I'd call it a flat out "alternate" version - the US producers for reason's unknown just decided to loop out the 'Superheroes' song.
Old 09-29-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't forget "Untiled: The Almost Famous Bootleg Edition"
Old 09-29-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
as to Rocky Horror - I'd call it a flat out "alternate" version - the US producers for reason's unknown just decided to loop out the 'Superheroes' song.
IIRC, Rocky Horror is an American movie funded by American dollars and produced by American producers.

I wasn't born yet, but I always thought "Superheroes" was in the original US theatrical prints (because I've seen midnight prints of the film with the song intact). I always thought it was deleted from the video versions of the film, especially since when I bought the soundtrack at like age eight and that song was included with it.

The only difference between the US and UK version of the film is "Superheroes" (which IMO doesn't end the film so abruptly). "Once in a While" is only featured on disc two in the bonus material.
Old 09-29-05, 10:45 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Also, a list as long as yours ought to have 'Brazil' on it.
The lsit I provided came from my own personal library; I don't own BRAZIL.

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Not that I'm criticizing -- you definitely have ones that aren't on the other master list that Giles put up. (And I always forget about Duel.)
Then I shall post it there, as well, for whatever help it may provide.
Old 09-29-05, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
IIRC, Rocky Horror is an American movie funded by American dollars and produced by American producers.
oops, you're right, my bad...