Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FarCry: Instincts

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FarCry: Instincts

FarCry comes out this week for the X-Box. Looks fantastic, 16 player X-Box Live, a map editor, I can't wait.

IGN gave it a 9.0, said it was one of the best FPS's on the Box.

Thoughts? Anyone else jumping on this release day?

= J
Old 09-28-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tarantino
FarCry comes out this week for the X-Box. Looks fantastic, 16 player X-Box Live, a map editor, I can't wait.

IGN gave it a 9.0, said it was one of the best FPS's on the Box.

Thoughts? Anyone else jumping on this release day?

= J
I have this for the PC, but still haven't played past the first level, I did some things out of sequence and the game won't recognize it when I steal the vehicle I am supposed to steal.

Anyways, this is supposed to have a bunch of extras right? I don't think it is worth rebuying for me, especially without mouse and keyboard.
Old 09-28-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I understand it, it's totally different than the PC version...

= J
Old 09-28-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
I loved Far cry for the PC. In fact, it's still installed on mine. But I'll wait for a price drop or sale for this one.
Old 09-28-05, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have it pre-ordered at GameRush...I'll pick it up later today.
Old 09-28-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
How different is it from the PC - and will I be able to get into the X-box version after playing the PC version with all the graphic and resolution settings at their highest, while running butter-smooth?

Though I know that I'd much prefer playing it with the Xbox controler - yeah, sure it's easier to aim with a mouse - but it's always a pain in the ass to move around using a keyboard - and I move much more than I aim.
Old 09-28-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm also interested in knowing how this compares to the PC version, which I've played.

I'd like to know in particular if the draw distance is as far as it was on the PC. This alone blew me away when I first played it.
Old 09-28-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played the XBOX demo and I thought it was pretty good. I never played the PC, so I cannot compare. However, the XBOX version was fun. A nice FPS/stealth game. I just know the Map Editor and LIVE play should really make this game fun.
Old 09-28-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
It is a thing of friggin' beauty on the PC -- the first game I bought after picking up a new computer and card in July. Too bad I keep getting my ass handed to me every time I try that damn hang glider. I never thought I would become nostalic for the glider in Ratchet & Clank : Going Commando until I tried this puppy.
Old 09-28-05, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
It is a thing of friggin' beauty on the PC -- the first game I bought after picking up a new computer and card in July. Too bad I keep getting my ass handed to me every time I try that damn hang glider. I never thought I would become nostalic for the glider in Ratchet & Clank : Going Commando until I tried this puppy.
Have you tried the hang glider in 3rd-person?
The graphics are sooo sweet!
Old 09-28-05, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion
Have you tried the hang glider in 3rd-person?
The graphics are sooo sweet!
Dude, I've seen myself die from EVERY angle and perspective. It's pretty, but still frustrating.
Old 09-28-05, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Dude, I've seen myself die from EVERY angle and perspective. It's pretty, but still frustrating.
LOL!
Not laughing at your frustration, but rather, your response. Nothing like watching the death animation from evey angle.

Anyway, what difficulty level are you playing and which hang glider scenario are you constantly getting killed?

I remember about four scenes where I used the hang glider but each one was actually fun.
Old 09-29-05, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I picked up my Far Crry yesterday....the game is pretty good. I'm enjoying the single player, I like how it's either stealthy or run-n-gun. The graphics seem pretty good...a great looking XBOX game. I played on LIVE and that was pretty good also....not sure if it's HAlo2 good, but it's good. I didn't even look at the map editor yet, but so far, this game will hold me over until XBOX360.
Old 09-29-05, 08:36 AM

Another thing I'd like to add, the voice acting in the game was horrendous. LOL! I mean, the main characters voice sounded like Duke but a little more whiny. The humor in his dialogue also seemed like a reference to Duke. Thank goodness the gameplay was good so the bad voice acting didn't take away from the game. [referring to the PC version]
Old 09-29-05, 04:32 PM

Stephen Dorff does the voice for Carver in Instincts. As far as I know, it's completely different from the PC game, hence the subtitle.
Old 09-29-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I really enjoy the game. Great VA work, Great graphics, design, solid story.

It's basically a whole different game than the PC rendition - similar Island and setup. Different story and, well, powers.

Plus you get to stealth a bit more. (UBI Montreal did a great job on it)

EDIT: So far, the reviews haven't been too bad: 86% on Gamerankings, 9.0 on IGN, 9.2 on Gamespot. Glad to know the game doesn't go south after the halfway point heh.
Old 09-29-05, 07:28 PM

For those that have this on Xbox...

Can someone tell me if the back of the box lists this game at a resolution of 480P, 720P, 1080I?

Thank you.
Old 09-30-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's HDTV 480p.

So I got the game last night and wow...it's fantastic. The graphics are AWESOME. Live is a blast, I'm getting my ass handed to me most of the time, but it's still fun. I'm playing with the Live map editor and it's NUTS. It's taking me forever to perfect my ideal island (which will be setup solely for sniper matchups), but there are infinite possibilities and the maps are huge.

I'll be playing this game for a long time. It's great.

= J
Old 09-30-05, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, the game is damn good...I have to play it more, didn't really get a chance yesterday. Hopefully some of my friends also get it
Old 10-02-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I've had the game for a few days, so here are my final impressions.

The X-Box Live is fantastic...being able to play against other people on their own maps is outstanding.

The single player is weak. The enemy AI is horrid. Two people standing right next to one another with me hiding in a bush...I shoot one guard in the face and he bloodily falls in front of the other, but...he doesn't notice. Another time, I shot a guy in the stomach and instead of falling, he runs around saying "I think I heard something". Ugh.

The multiplayer is awesome.

= J
Old 10-05-05, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone else had issues on Live where the other players disapear and then reapear a second later? Like some kind of lagging issue. Also, it seems like I have to completely fill someone with lead before they go down, where it just takes a couple of hits for me.
Old 10-24-05, 02:34 AM

This game is $28.88 at Target this week. Great deal.
Old 10-24-05, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, that sucks. I just bought it from Toys R US with the buy 2 get 1 free sale. Btw, I hate this game. AI is one of the dumbest I've encountered in a while. After playing BIA: Earned in blood, I can't accept this type of AI. Oh yeah, I also get dizzy playing this game for some reason and I mostly play fps. This is the most overhyped game of the year. I'm wondering whether all these review sites are getting "paid" by Ubisoft. Gonna trade it in at Gamerush along with the Thing so I can preorder Zelda
Old 10-24-05, 07:43 PM
MSA

Originally Posted by Leechboy
This game is $28.88 at Target this week. Great deal.
Thats a great deal on this. Target in my area has a grand opening so I saw coupons in the Sunday paper for 5.00 off a 25.00+ purchase. I used it with the 28.88 sale.

Sweeeeet!!
Old 10-24-05, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Damn, that sucks. I just bought it from Toys R US with the buy 2 get 1 free sale. Btw, I hate this game. AI is one of the dumbest I've encountered in a while. After playing BIA: Earned in blood, I can't accept this type of AI. Oh yeah, I also get dizzy playing this game for some reason and I mostly play fps. This is the most overhyped game of the year. I'm wondering whether all these review sites are getting "paid" by Ubisoft. Gonna trade it in at Gamerush along with the Thing so I can preorder Zelda
Hmm, it must have a different AI than the PC version, on the PC if you use your shoot a guy, everyone in that area comes after you. Sometimes it is too good, the enemies seem to spot me from a mile away when I am sneaking through the brush.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.