TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bones - "A Boy in a Tree" - 9/27

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bones - "A Boy in a Tree" - 9/27

Spoiler:
When the decaying corpse of the Venezuelan Ambassador's son is found hanging from a tree on the campus of an exclusive private school, a simple suicide case quickly turns into a web of lies, sex and scandal, involving the school's staff and students.
Old 09-28-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this episode was a big improvement over the 1st 2. I really enjoy the dialogue between the docs and Booth. I also really like the little side story of the young doc and his lady friend. This episode was actually good TV IMO. This + House = Fox rules on Tuesday. No new eps of the show until Novemeber.
Old 09-28-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That figures. I dropped the show after the last episode.

So many new shows and this one was a chore to watch so I cut my losses. I figured it wouldn't be around much longer due to the ratings.
Old 09-28-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I have to agree with Daniel in that I didn't enjoy the last 2 that much, but this one was more tolerable. I did enjoy some of the interactions, but the worst character is still Bones. David B. is good in his role, and the scientists were fun. But Booooooones, die Booooooooones.
Old 09-28-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And now it's off the air until November.
Old 09-28-05, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This week was going to be Bones' last chance for me, and it was much improved over the first two eps. So, I will probably watch if it doesn't get axed during its hiatus and continues to match up to this last episode.
Old 09-28-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
And now it's off the air until November.
Where did you hear that it'll be off the air? And why?
Old 09-28-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by mookiemeister
Where did you hear that it'll be off the air? And why?
The show is being bumped for baseball playoffs in October.
Old 09-28-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I guess viewers are like Fox - if it isn't gold the first time, you dump it, and not give it a chance to grow and improve.
Old 09-28-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn'y put that against anyone. With so many new shows to wade through not everyone can spend time checking them all. But if you were to watch one episode of Bones, this was the one to judge the show by. The 1st 2 were rather flat.
Old 09-28-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I guess viewers are like Fox - if it isn't gold the first time, you dump it, and not give it a chance to grow and improve.

I'm all for hoping that Fox (and all networks) keep good shows.

If something is a struggle to get through, and if the first couple eps don't grab me, I'm gone. Unless you're a nightly TV watcher (which I'm not) there are just too many other choices (DVD, real life or otherwise) for me to feel I need to allow a show to grow and improve so I'll maybe like it at some point down the road.

That's a very different argument than, say, something like Wonderfalls, which (IMHO) was a great show from the start, but never found an appreciative audience, in no small part because Fox moved the show around a few times.

If Wonderfalls hadn't hooked me, I'd have been gone right away, too. But that show was well done. I didn't get the same feel from Bones.

And I was so looking forward to Bones being something above bar.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-28-05 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-28-05, 02:55 PM

This was the best ep yet. If this show keeps improving it may turn out be really good.
Old 09-28-05, 03:12 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
As far as Fox abusing good shows goes, let's not forget Firefly...
Old 09-28-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I watched this for the first time last night and was pretty meh about it...I do have to say that I think Boreanaz (sp?) was pretty good in it, but the rest of the show was pretty run of the mill. Ill keep checking in with it though because there really isnt anything else to watch at that time imo.
Old 09-28-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I rather like the show myself, but having a story about a socially-impaired brilliant doctor right before "House" seems a bit redundant. They should move Bones to another slot away from House.
Old 09-28-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great episode last night. Definitely the best of the bunch. I really feel sorry for people who only gave this 1 or 2 chances, this looks like it's going to be a very solid show.
Old 09-28-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by valkyrie
I rather like the show myself, but having a story about a socially-impaired brilliant doctor right before "House" seems a bit redundant. They should move Bones to another slot away from House.
Pretty easy way to get ratings, IMO. The shows are good together, having similar leads in different genres of shows. I think it is rather intelligent having them aside eachother.
Old 09-29-05, 12:26 AM

Like others have said, a lot of improvement in this episode. I like the interplay between Booth and Bones and hope that keeps going. The little story with Zack and his love life was also hilarious. I was almost ready to give up after the first two episodes as I thought they were not only bad, but terrible (especially last week's with the bombing), but was glad that I gave it another chance.

My only hope is that the character of Bones continues to develop a personality as the show goes on. Right now her character is just too annoying to take. Kinda of sad when the title character of a show is the worst one. It's not necessarily the actress' mistake either. I'm sure she's playing her as intended, but the character is just written as annoying. But she seems to be melting somewhat and maybe will retain some of those characteristics but in a way where it's easier to warm to her character.

Then again, they will probably axe this before it comes back Nov. 1, so what the hell do I care? I've started to learn to not get too attached to shows because the ones I really love (and this one, while improving, is still far away from that level. It's no Karen Sisco or Eyes) get cancelled.
Old 09-29-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by badger1997
Then again, they will probably axe this before it comes back Nov. 1, so what the hell do I care? I've started to learn to not get too attached to shows because the ones I really love (and this one, while improving, is still far away from that level. It's no Karen Sisco or Eyes) get cancelled.
Eyes.
Old 09-29-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by N2DVD
As far as Fox abusing good shows goes, let's not forget Firefly...

And that's just to name one among many. Did anyone ever catch the first returning episode of Family Guy, (after Fox had canceled, and brought it back) - where basically, the opening scene has Peter running off a laundry list of all the shows Fox has screwed over in some way, shape or form.
Old 09-29-05, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by badger1997
My only hope is that the character of Bones continues to develop a personality as the show goes on. Right now her character is just too annoying to take. Kinda of sad when the title character of a show is the worst one. It's not necessarily the actress' mistake either. I'm sure she's playing her as intended, but the character is just written as annoying. But she seems to be melting somewhat and maybe will retain some of those characteristics but in a way where it's easier to warm to her character.
And that, as it seems from most who have watched the show thus far, is thing eveyone is missing. I believe a big part of what this show is supposed to be about, IS the fact that you have a character who starts out as one thing, but evolves into another. You basically start with this person who is fantastic at what she does for work, but other than that, has absoultely zero social skills. It's the journey of how that's going to change, especially via her relationship with Booth, that is the driving force of this show. The other CSI type stuff is just to make it more interesting.
Old 09-29-05, 11:52 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I can't see this show being axed so soon, its getting pretty good ratings.
Old 09-30-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I can't see this show being axed so soon, its getting pretty good ratings.
Yeah, I checked out EW while I was at Borders and it was in the top 15 or so. So like it or not, watch it or not, it looks like it is staying for the time being.

Last edited by Daniel-A; 09-30-05 at 12:38 AM.