Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Yet another Hitchcock DVD thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another Hitchcock DVD thread

Since October seems to be Hitchcock month, I've got some questions.

When the hell is The Paradine Case going to be re-released? How much does the original DVD of this usually go for?

So assuming I have the Criterion box set, the Warner Bros. box set, and the big universal set that's being re-released, plus the Delta "early years" box, and To Catch a Thief....am I missing anything else? Not counting the TV series. Thanks!
Old 09-27-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't forget Lifeboat. That's coming out pretty quick too.
Old 09-27-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Neuman
....am I missing anything else? Not counting the TV series. Thanks!
A few things missing:

A couple of early public domain films that Delta didn't release (Juno & the Paycock, Champagne)
Under Capricorn (available via Image Entertainment)
Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache (OOP, also by Image)
Lifeboat (coming from Fox in October)
Old 09-27-05, 02:32 PM

I meant to include Lifeboat. I'm going to pick up everything Hitchcock related that comes out in October.
Old 09-27-05, 02:53 PM

And how is the quality of Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache? Thanks
Old 09-27-05, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your missing a few things

check out

Alfred Hitchcock: Champagne on dvd...but not from Warner.

Aventure Malgache/bon voyage can still be had on amazon for a little over twenty bucks. Paradine case goes for 25-150 bucks most of the time. I got mine from an estate sale. Be careful as this is heavily bootlegged.

browse my collection...i'm proud to say i own all things hitch that have been released on dvd so far....just missing a few silents now

Last edited by Cameron; 09-27-05 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Neuman
And how is the quality of Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache? Thanks
Merely OK. The prints used were restored by the BFI. The restoration was sorely needed, but the restorers could only do so much. It's certainly watchable, but it's not going to knock your socks off or anything.

The Milestone DVD was a very early one from '98. Thus it has its own shortcomings: burned-in, non-removable English subtitles (because these are actually French-language short films), absolutely no extras (except for some liner notes), relatively low bitrate even though the two films together total only 58 minutes, etc.

Still, if you're a completist or a big fan of Hitchcock, these are must-owns. They definitely reward multiple viewings and offer interesting glimpses about what was to come in Hitchcock's career.
Old 09-29-05, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're saying the Von Voyage and Aventure Malgache are pretty entertaining films?

I taped it once of off TCM and was shocked that they were in french...I couldn't get beyond it. Was just surprised.
Old 10-02-05, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Kube
You're saying the Von Voyage and Aventure Malgache are pretty entertaining films?

I taped it once of off TCM and was shocked that they were in french...I couldn't get beyond it. Was just surprised.
Oh, yeah, these are definitely entertaining and interesting films. (My earlier post was commenting mainly on Milestone's release.) Like I said, viewers who are already big fans of Hitchcock will enjoy these films -- probably far more than casual viewers. But if you know and like your Hitchcock, don't let the French language and English subtitles become a barrier. "Bon Voyage" is an interestingly structured film. (Basically, you see all the events twice -- from two very different points of view.) And the climax anticipates a similar scene in Hitchcock's later "Topaz." At first, I didn't care much for "Aventure Malgache," but it's low-key humor (especially the character who gets to play a dual role) grows on you.

By the way, TCM will be showcasing lots of Hitchcock's films towards the end of October, and I believe they'll be showing both of these again. So I'd recommend you set your VCR for them and watch them all the way through, rather than blind-buying them.

BTW, sorry for the late response. I was away from my computer over the weekend.