Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Born To Run Deluxe Edition 11/15/05

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-05, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From USA Today...

Springsteen classic is 'Born' again
Bruce Springsteen's breakthrough album, Born to Run, will mark its 30th anniversary with a deluxe three-disc box set due Nov. 15. The set includes a full-length concert film, Hammersmith Odeon, London '75, the earliest live footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band yet released. There's also a new documentary, Wings for Wheels: The Making of Born to Run, plus a 48-page booklet with unpublished photographs and, finally, the remastered original CD (sorry, no bonus tracks).
Old 09-27-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 discs with no bonus tracks?? is the 3rd one just a blank cd-r for everyone's enjoyment?
Old 09-27-05, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
...and you STILL couldn't release it in Hybrid SACD?

Even though this is my favorite album of all time, I think I'll pass on this release...
Old 09-27-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More info from Billboard.com...

In celebration of the 30th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen's breakthrough 1975 album "Born To Run," Columbia is prepping a box set that will include two DVDs along with a version of the album newly remastered by Bob Ludwig. One DVD will feature a performance at London's Hammersmith Odeon during a tour in support of the album, while the other will house a 90-minute documentary, "Wings For Wheels: The Making of 'Born To Run.'"

Due Nov. 15, the package will be rounded out by a 48-page book with previously unpublished photographs and an introduction by Springsteen.

The Nov. 18, 1975, Hammersmith show spans 16 songs over more than two hours, with Springsteen backed by his faithful E Street Band. The concert is presented in its entirety, with "Born To Run" represented by six of its eight songs: "Thunder Road," "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out," "Jungleland," "She's the One," "Backstreets" and the title track.

The original film was restored by Thom Zimny (who has worked on the live Springsteen videos "Live in New York," "Live in Barcelona" and "VH1 Storytellers"), with the audio remastered and remixed by Bob Clearmountain in stereo and 5.1 surround sound.

The documentary "Wings for Wheels" is rife with never-before-publicly released archival footage of Springsteen and his band in the studio and on stage. Among the clips are Springsteen's solo piano and guitar versions of "Born To Run" and performances of "Spirit in the Night," "Wild Billy's Circus Story" and "Thundercrack" captured during a 1973 concert at Los Angeles' Ahmanson Theater.

Newly conducted interviews with Springsteen and past and present E Street Band members Roy Bittan, Ernest "Boom" Carter, Clarence Clemons, Danny Federici, Nils Lofgren, David Sancious, Patti Scialfa, Garry Tallent, Steven Van Zandt and Max Weinberg reflect on the legendary album. Springsteen's longtime manager/"Born To Run" co-producer Jon Landau is also interviewed, as are former manager Mike Appel, "Born To Run" engineer/future Interscope president Jimmy Iovine and photographer Eric Meola, who took the album's memorable cover shot of Springsteen and saxophonist Clemons.

"I believe that the combination of the great 1975 concert footage, the brilliant documentary of the making of the album and the dazzling remastering of 'Born to Run' add up to a nearly perfect storm of Bruce's music," says Landau.

In other news, Springsteen is likely to appear at the sixth Light of Day concerts benefiting Parkinson's Disease Foundation. Although never an announced participant, the Boss has performed at each of the previous events, which are organized by artist manager and former Billboard staffer Bob Benjamin, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1996.

This year's concerts will begin Nov. 4 at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, N.J., with Soozie Tyrell, Cindy Bullens and Teddy Geiger confirmed. The event will continue Nov. 5-6 at the Starland Ballroom, located about 30 miles north in Sayreville, with Joe Grushecky, Pete Yorn and Jessie Malin set to play both nights.

The first Starland show will also include Garland Jeffreys and Willie Nile, while the second will feature Jeffrey Gaines and John Eddie. Tickets are already on sale via Ticketmaster and venue box offices for all three shows.

Springsteen will play Tampa, Fla., on Nov. 4, in the midst of the latest leg of his Devils & Dust tour, which opens Oct. 6 in Rochester, N.Y. He will not only be free for the other two, but back at home, as the tour's next shows take place Nov. 8-9 in Philadelphia.

Here is the "Hammersmith Odeon, London '75" track list:

"Thunder Road"
"Tenth Avenue Freeze Out"
"Spirit In the Night"
"Lost In the Flood"
"She's the One"
"Born To Run"
"The E Street Shuffle/Having a Party"
"It's Hard To Be a Saint in the City"
"Backstreets"
"Kitty's Back"
"Jungleland"
"Rosalita"
"4th of July Asbury Park (Sandy)"
"Detroit Medley"
"For You"
"Quarter to Three"
Old 09-29-05, 01:05 AM

As of now, Amazon is listing this collection for a measly $49.99. Ouch!
Old 09-29-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
As of now, Amazon is listing this collection for a measly $49.99. Ouch!
yuck. is that list?!
Old 09-29-05, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, that's list...
I would expect to see it at around $30 upon release.
Old 10-18-05, 02:03 AM

OK, it's up at Amazon. List $39.99, priced $29.99
The set looks nice

And the page (including a kick-ass full video clip of the title track live, 1975) is here.

I just love that performance -- Bruce is so amped up, he can't even finish the most-famous countdown in rock history. Also dig The Big Man's fly outfit.

I'm sold now.
Old 10-18-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
OK, it's up at Amazon. List $39.99, priced $29.99
The set looks nice

And the page (including a kick-ass full video clip of the title track live, 1975) is here.

I just love that performance -- Bruce is so amped up, he can't even finish the most-famous countdown in rock history. Also dig The Big Man's fly outfit.

I'm sold now.
Ah yes. The E-street Band dressing like Harvey Keitel's pimp in Taxi Driver. The good old days.
Old 10-18-05, 06:16 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
is that max weinberg drumming? if so, its the funniest thing i'll see today.
Old 11-17-05, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Worth it?

Anyone got this yet? If so:

1) is the sound much improved from earlier CD iterations?
2) the extra DVD's worth the price?
Old 11-17-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I got it. I do not have a previous version so I can't tell. I scanned thru the performance DVD and it is fun to watch with the pimp clothing and all. My only complaint is the area that holds the cd and dvd's in the packaging. It is hard to remove the carboard holders without damaging them. For only $24 at Target, it was well worth it.
Old 11-17-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Laertes

Picked this up yesterday at Target for $23.96.

1) I can't tell a huge leap in sound quality but it does sound very nice. The CD is packaged as an exact replica of the vinyl album. Right down to raised grooves and the old Columbia logo showing a track listing on the CD itself.

2) ok, this set is REALLY about the DVD's. The first DVD is a complete 2+ hr show from Nov '75. I wasn't really expecting much from this, but it is the centerpiece of the package. I've always heard about his legendary early shows & this really nails it. The video isn't in perfect shape, but it is 16x9 enhanced & very watchable. But the sound.... I didn't listen to the stereo track, only the 5.1. This is an incredible mix, all the audience noise comes from the rear speakers while the band is spread across the front 3. Which really gives you a feeling of being there. And the fidelity is surprisingly rich and full. I'd intended to pop this in & watch a couple of my favorite songs until I had time to watch the whole thing. But I sat there mesmerized for 2 hours. It's that good.

The 2nd DVD is a very well done 90 minute documentary on the creation of the album. New interviews with all involved etc. Also includes 3 songs from a '73 concert. Again, with very nice 5.1 audio & 16x9 enhancement.

All in all, this would be worth it at twice the price. I would have paid $24 for the concert DVD alone.

Last edited by Eddie W; 11-17-05 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-17-05, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the reivew, Eddie. Waiting for mine to ship from Amazon. Can you comment further on the packaging? I'm not sure I understand what people are complaining about. Are the discs in individual cardboard sleeves?

Too bad they didn't remaster the CD into 5.1 in a hybrid SACD. Seems like Sony is beginning to push that format again and this could have been their centerpiece.

And I HOPE the CD is computer-safe to copy so I can have a version in my car. I didn't see the item on the dreaded list.
Old 11-17-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Yeah, each disc is housed in it's own gatefold sleeve. The CD one is kind of nice, as it's a glossy reproduction of the original album. But the two DVD ones are thicker dull cardboard. All three are packed pretty tightly into a tray holder in the longbox. The picture booklet gets it's own tray below. Not a real big fan of the cardboard making contact with the disc surface as it slides out but packaging is not a deal breaker for me.

I haven't tried to copy the CD yet, but one oddity...this is the first time I've seen an audio CD where the playing surface is black instead of silver. I've seen that on PS2 games etc, but not yet on a CD.
Old 11-17-05, 02:20 PM

Ordered mine from Amazon and can't wait. Fiancee will SCREAM though, she can't stand Bruce.

Old 11-17-05, 04:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
The concert is amazing. The band's version of It's so hard to be a Saint in the City was jawdropping for me. The breakdown, back and forth singing, guitar solo war made me believe in how powerful a live show can be. And the tempo was so fast. Just floored.
Old 11-17-05, 05:05 PM

WooHoo! Mine has shipped but it's gonna take 11 days to get here!!! Damn Amazon Free shipping!
Old 11-17-05, 08:47 PM

There were also a lot of televised performances from 1978 and 1984. I hope some of them get cleaned up and released on DVD at some point.
Old 11-17-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I'm not a big bruce fan, but this looks great. A good concert DVD is always hard to pass up, and the making of program sounds interesting too.
Old 11-17-05, 11:46 PM
Banned

Picked this one up at Circuit City for $24.99. This set is a STEAL. Like Eddie W. said, the concert alone is worth that much.

The box itself is beautiful, and I love the sleeve the musical CD comes in. But I'd like to put the two DVDs into a keepcase. Any enterprising Bruce fans up for taking a stab at a custom cover? Wonder if it's technically possible to just resize the box art itself into keepcase dimensions. That would be awesome.
Old 11-18-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wish they would release it in SACD. Blows!
Old 11-18-05, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Laertes

1. YES, it is improved. it's way better than the previous cds, and even the lp. this was one bruce album i never listened to because i thought the sound was so shoddy.

2. i probably wouldn't pay the ~$35.00 for this set, but right now it's at a few places for $24.00 or less, and that's well worth it. this is how "deluxe" reissues should all be.
Old 11-18-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone picked it up from Best Buy? It seems they have a bonus disc of the single inside, but I just wanted to make sure it was in there and I didn't leave it behind on a shelf there. It's a Christmas gift, so I don't want to open it obviously.
Old 11-19-05, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
there should be a sticker on the package that says "Best Buy Exclusive." The bonus disc is a replica of the 45 of the Born to Run single (even reproduces the b-side). It comes sealed and is under the three discs. Very cool bonus! Only thing cooler would have been a few alternate or early takes. Oh well...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.