Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help with progressive DVD on LCD HDTV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony DVP-NS725P (a couple years old but able to play DVDs in progresive scan) hooked up to a Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV that I just got (LC-37D4U) via componet cables.

I play a DVD in progressive scan mode and the tv confirms that the signal is 480p. The picture looks good but sometimes there is a horizontal line that runs across the screen usually somewhere in the bottom half of the picture that looks like some of the image is getting lost.

Does anyone know if this is the fault of the DVD player or of the TV? Has anyone encountered this? Is there something i am doing wrong? A setting that i may have wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
is it a whitish line running across the bottom of the screen because i have the same problem. It usually happens when I use my philips dvd player but when I use my panny I dont see it
Old 09-26-05, 01:33 PM

No i am not seeing a whitish line. It is more like a horizontal line of data has been lost and the rest of the image below it has been moved up. I am hoping this is a fault of my DVD player and not the new TV i just bought.
Old 09-27-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are running the DVDp in progressive mode, it is most likely the player. Test by switching to interlaced mode to see if it goes away. I would think that a reason for repair/replacement if it happens often enough.

Even if you don't see it with any other input, it could still be the TV if it has a problem with just 480p input signals, though. To test that, you'd probably have to get another progressive source to test with, also. (maybe somewhere with a good return policy )
Old 09-27-05, 03:24 PM

I have figured out what was wrong ... thanks all for helping. Here's what it was (in case someone encounters the same problem).

There was a setting on my DVD player for 4:3 televisions and 16:9 television. The problem is that i was setting the display for 4:3 televisions. As a result the TV was altering the image for every frame and couldnt quite handle the load. Setting the output on the DVD player for 16:9 televisions gets rid of the problem as the TV doesnt have to do as much work to show the image.

The customer support at Sharpusa put me on the right track. Surprisingly helpful they are.
Old 09-27-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sucks that we are surprised every time a company has decent service/support. Good job!