Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Thin Flat CRT? How's the progress?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-05, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the news on this type now? Apparently it's not very successful, is it? any other manufacturer besides Samsung who build this thin CRT?
Old 09-26-05, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I never heard anything like that. But I think CRT is going obsolete sooner or later, especially with the improvement of the quality and price on flat panel

EDIT: Well after a quick search it seems that this thin CRT looks quite promising.

From http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000180020920/:

LG.Philips have joined Samsung in the race to bring slim CRT televisions to market. Created to compete with flat screen plasma and LCD televisions, the new televisions are slated to be available sometime in 2005. While they won’t be as slim and wall-mountable as their flatscreen brethren, the new thin CRTs will come in at around 16-inches deep. It looks like the LG.Philips model will appear before Samsung’s. Expect prices to be fit nicely in that niche: more than standard CRTs, but less than plasmas and LCDs.
If that is true, then I'm all over it. CRT still beats LCD on quality and price, and I don't think I'm ready to spend an arm and a leg for a plasma.

Last edited by eedoon; 09-26-05 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-26-05, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I've got the Samsung Slim Fit CRT HDTV. I'm generally happy with it although it could use some "tweaking". Do a search for my "CRT callibation thread". For a starter($1,000 or less) HDTV it's not bad and it has it's own HD tuner. The OTA HD channels I get look amazing.

The slim fit really made difference in terms of fitting into my current "home theater room" situation. I see other 30 inch HD sets and they're friggin HUGE and they would never fit into my set up unless I shell out money on a new tv stand. But even with that, a non-slim tv would require more space from back to front.
Old 09-26-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What si the difference between these slim-fit CRT and the LCD Rear-Projection that Sony puts out...any major quality differences?
Old 09-26-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You mean aside from the fact that they're completely different technologies? You'll see the same advantages you'd find in any comparison of LCD vs. CRT. A LCD isn't going to beat the CRT for viewing quality, however, these slim CRT's are just coming out to market here, and the biggest I've seen thus far are those in the 30 inch range.
Old 09-26-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, what is the difference between normal LCD and the RP-LCD.....I know the RP-LCD are larger, but aren't they different technologies also?
Old 09-26-05, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
link to said product? i heard about this back when it was announced, but haven't seen anything.

did they just chop off some of the back? are they considerably lighter (perhas by 20-30 pounds?). i'm not expecting 100 less or anything.
Old 09-26-05, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Superman07
link to said product? i heard about this back when it was announced, but haven't seen anything.

did they just chop off some of the back? are they considerably lighter (perhas by 20-30 pounds?). i'm not expecting 100 less or anything.

Samsung fit the case over the inner workings. Depth from the Screen to the Rear of the unit is less of an issue. It's still a relatively heavy unit and it still took me and one guy to get it up my stairs while in the box. However, with less bulk from the rear casing it made it easier to get a good grip and lift it on my own once it was in my house.

Side view of Samsung 30 inch Slim Fit Approx 120 lbs

Side view of SONY 30 inch HDTV Approx 150 lbs

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-26-05 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-27-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, what is the difference between normal LCD and the RP-LCD.....I know the RP-LCD are larger, but aren't they different technologies also?
I assume by "normal" you mean a large flat panel LCD. There isn't much difference. Pixels are much smaller on the projection, obviously. They operate pretty much the same, light is shined through the LCD panel. In a projector it is shined onto a screen instead of direct to your eyes. It's much easier to make a light source that shines through a <1" panel than a 32" panel. I think that is one of the things that has kept the LCD flat panel cost up. But it's coming down.

One difference is that the panel has the 3 colors placed together so they are one panel. The projectors have 3 separate panels for the 3 colors and the light is split, goes through all of them separately and then all are shone on the screen. Convergence is an issue, therefore, just like for CRT projection.

Personally, I typically like direct-view technologies better (assuming no basic problems), but that's mostly a lighting issue. With proper lighting the projection stuff is just fine. Which is why I have a projector. But if I could have gotten a 100" plasma for $2500, I would have taken that instead.
Old 10-02-05, 05:50 PM

Lots of information here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=samsung+slim

That (long) thread tracks the response from the beginning of these units showing up in stores. There is a lot of discussion about geometry issues in the earlier tx-r3079wh models, but there is a lot of speculation that these issues (to a large degree) have been corrected. I am waiting for the tx-r3080wh models to become more readily available (same model with speakers on the bottom rather than on the sides to cut down on the width) as that model was released after the initial tx-r3079wh run and many suspect will have the geometry issues corrected.
Old 10-03-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by exparr0t
Lots of information here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=samsung+slim

That (long) thread tracks the response from the beginning of these units showing up in stores. There is a lot of discussion about geometry issues in the earlier tx-r3079wh models, but there is a lot of speculation that these issues (to a large degree) have been corrected. I am waiting for the tx-r3080wh models to become more readily available (same model with speakers on the bottom rather than on the sides to cut down on the width) as that model was released after the initial tx-r3079wh run and many suspect will have the geometry issues corrected.

cool post. There were some great tips on correcting the "Geometry issue". Frankly, the slight distortion doesn't really bother me. I guess it's not as bad on my TV as on others.