Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Francis Ford Coppola film: Youth Without Youth

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coppola to return to directing after eight-year break

LOS ANGELES (AFP) - The Oscar-winning maker of films such as "Apocalypse Now," Francis Ford Coppola, is to return to directing after an eight-year break in a big-screen adaptation of a Romanian short story.

Coppola, 66, is set to begin production in Bucharest on October 3 on the low-budget "Youth Without Youth," based on the novella by Romanian author and intellectual Mircea Eliade, according to entertainment bible Daily Variety.

The director, also famed for films such as "The Godfather Part II," will self-finance the film, that will star actors Tim Roth, Alexandra Maria Lara, Switzerland's Bruno Ganz and Marcel Iures.

The films tells the story of a professor whose life changes after a dramatic incident during in the run-up to World War II that forced him to flee his home as he is pursued through Romania, Switzerland, Malta and India.

"I was excited to discover, in this tale by Eliade, the key themes that I most hope to understand better: time, consciousness and the dreamlike basis of reality," Coppola said in a statement.

"For me, it is indeed a return to the ambitions I had for work in cinema as a student," he said of the film that his Zoetrope production company described as Coppola's "return to personal filmmaking."

The film will be Coppola's first directorial effort since 1997's "The Rainmaker," as he has focused in recent years on producing and running his hotel and wine estate in California, complaining that Hollywood only offered him gangster pictures, according to Variety.

Seems like a step in the right direction for the director of The Godfather and Jack.
Old 09-23-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Great news! Seems like a smart move for him, as he's currently being "rediscovered" as a maker of indie-style movies with Outsiders and Rumblefish back in the spotlight.
Old 09-23-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Glad to see him back with hopefully a quality story.
Old 09-23-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"the dreamlike basis of reality" Why do Hollywood people talk like this? I mean I can see someone like Wong Kar Wai or Ingmar Bergman but come on.
Old 09-24-05, 01:17 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does he still have it in him? I'm still shocked he directed Jack.

On a side note, from IMDB, these may be the oddest back to back producing entries I've seen:
# Lost in Translation (2003) (executive producer)
# Jeepers Creepers II (2003) (executive producer)
Old 09-24-05, 01:29 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
"the dreamlike basis of reality" Why do Hollywood people talk like this? I mean I can see someone like Wong Kar Wai or Ingmar Bergman but come on.
In my experience, Hollywood doesn't talk like that. They talk in terms of what's safe, familar, cliche and rarely venture beyond the scope of broad appeal. an artist, like IB or WKW or even the FFC that made The Conversation, Rumblefish and Apocalypse Now, talks like this.
Old 05-23-07, 10:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I just went to a documentary called CODA (about the filming of Youth Without Youth). Coppola was in attendance and participated in a Q&A session afterwards which was kind of neat. Really looking forward to this movie coming out...

When it was over, I went around to the back of the building and waited by an idling black Lincoln Town Car (hmm, who could that be for?). Coppola eventually came out and autographed 2 posters for me: The Outsiders & Apocalypse Now. All in all, a cool guy.