Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Which version of night of the living dead should i buy?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been wanting for a while to pick up night of the living dead and it seems as if theres quite a few versions. Which one will give me a bang for my buck?
Old 09-22-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Elite Millennium edition is the unadulterated original version with the best audio and video and the largest set of extras. The original Elite Special Edition is a good second choice, but it has less extras and a transfer that isn't completely up to modern DVD standards.

DJ
Old 09-22-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by djtoell
The Elite Millennium edition is the unadulterated original version with the best audio and video and the largest set of extras. The original Elite Special Edition is a good second choice, but it has less extras and a transfer that isn't completely up to modern DVD standards.

DJ

Could not have said it better. The original elite is a good bargain if you want to stay inexpensive. The Millennium disc is great (That's what I have - much better than those bargain bin versions - got rid of one of those)
Old 09-22-05, 09:28 PM

Oh, yeah, I don't think I made it clear enough: avoid every other release of the film, especially the so-called "30th Anniversary" version from Anchor Bay, which contains a horrible new score and even worse new footage.

DJ
Old 09-22-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hands down the Elite's Millenium Ed.
Old 09-22-05, 09:55 PM

I was under the impression that the original Elite LE and the Elite Millienum Edition had the same transfer. Am I mistaken?
Old 09-22-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, yeah, I don't think I made it clear enough: avoid every other release of the film
If one is a tad on the frugal side and doesn't obsess over a few extras, the release below would more than suffice:

I was under the impression that the original Elite LE and the Elite Millienum Edition had the same transfer. Am I mistaken?
No, unless I too am mistaken. I remember reading that the differences between the two releases were basically nil in terms of transfer quality.

Besides, the cheaper release provides a very humorous intro... one that is initally not so humorous!

Last edited by DrGerbil; 09-22-05 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-22-05, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil
If one is a tad on the frugal side and doesn't obsess over a few extras, the release below would more than suffice:
Right. When I said "every other," I meant every other one than the two I mentioned. That release is one of the two I mentioned.

No, unless I too am mistaken. I remember reading that the differences between the two releases were basically nil in terms of transfer quality.
The newer disc takes advantage of improvements in mpeg encoding in the years since the original release. It also fixes some frame dropouts.

Like I said originally, that older Elite SE is a good second choice.

DJ
Old 09-22-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
...especially the so-called "30th Anniversary" version from Anchor Bay, which contains a horrible new score and even worse new footage.

DJ
I was going to get rid of that but I now cherish it as an oddity.
Old 09-22-05, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by DrGerbil

Besides, the cheaper release provides a very humorous intro... one that is initally not so humorous!
Yeah I know exactly what you mean. When that first came on, I almost threw my cat at the TV in disgust. Then I realized I had been had and I felt dumb, and slightly guilty.
Old 09-22-05, 10:20 PM

Yeah, I have been looking for the Millennium edition at a cheap price for years. I keep hoping it will go on sale one of these Halloweens. Hopefully this year!
Old 09-22-05, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I was going to get rid of that but I now cherish it as an oddity.
Hey, I own the limited numbered 2-disc version with the soundtrack CD myself. I've even gotten John Russo, Russ Streiner, and Debbie Rochon to autograph it. I could just never recommend it to anyone else in good conscience.

DJ
Old 09-23-05, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by basaro
Yeah, I have been looking for the Millennium edition at a cheap price for years. I keep hoping it will go on sale one of these Halloweens. Hopefully this year!
DigitalEyes.net has it in stock for $14.98 right now. If you just order that, shipping is $1.00 more. If you order some other items to bring the total over $25, shipping is free. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to go for it at that price.

DJ
Old 09-25-05, 04:28 PM

thanks for the help guys i guess ill pick up the millenium edition.
Old 09-25-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought my copy at Walmart in the $1 Bin, and the video/audio is acceptable... you can't beat that for a dollar