DVD Talk
Why is an external harddrive is more expensive than a bare one + enclosure? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Why is an external harddrive is more expensive than a bare one + enclosure?

kvrdave
09-22-05, 10:05 AM
Am I missing something? I need a good backup and want an external one, but it seems that if you buy an enclosure and a regular internal drive, you save a bunch of money. Am I missing something here?

bill_n_opus
09-22-05, 10:16 AM
Am I missing something? I need a good backup and want an external one, but it seems that if you buy an enclosure and a regular internal drive, you save a bunch of money. Am I missing something here?

Nahhh, you're not missing anything ... much. There is one important advantage about a "dedicated external" drive like a Maxtor.

The big difference is that these dedicated external drives are configured to have some capabilities that an enclosure+hdd do not offer.

Stuff like:

- dedicated buttons and operations. Stuff like a one-button backup (I believe incrementally) since the last time you backed up.
- works right out of the box. Enclosure+hdd needs some install and such. Not hard if you are into comps ... but the average layperson not interested in comps but interested in backing up and safety will be interested in these products. They would be scared off with the DIY idea.

Average laypeople have no idea where to plug the power cord, how to install the IDE ribbon properly (red line anyone?), set the jumpers correctly or even finding out how to find out where the jumper configuration info is or where you can get it.

When I got my enclosures I couldn't remember what the config was for master/slave/cable select. I obviously went to the website(s) and found out. The average person would have no clue.

The other advantage is that you can buy this stuff at Costco/wherever and if anything goes wrong you can take the whole thing back and return/exchange/get satisfaction.

It's more iffy if you go piecemeal depending on where you bought your stuff.

Of course, going enclosure+hdd offers more bang for the buck.

BigPete
09-22-05, 11:16 AM
Also, the prices are converging rapidly for smaller disk sizes. I'm actually starting to see indications that the all in ones are cheaper in the 80-120 gig range if you pay attention to sales and rebates.

Decent 3.5" and 5.25" enclosures (48bit LBA, etc) are still holding around $27 after many, many months for no good reason.

Shazam
09-22-05, 11:21 AM
All in ones usually come with some software as well.

HN
09-22-05, 12:28 PM
i think it's along the same lines as buying computer parts separate and putting it together yourself vs. buying a pre-built machine; or pack of hotdogs and pack of buns vs., say, 6 hotdogs at 7-11.

Josh H
09-22-05, 12:49 PM
1. Convenience for people not into tech stuff enough to be comfortable putting a drive in an enclosure

2. The software and one-button back up functions etc. as outlined above.

sfsdfd
09-22-05, 01:50 PM
There's a very strong indication that future HDDs will use USB- or firewire-like connections for both external and internal connection. This would be awesome, as I've wasted far too many hours of my life mucking with jumpers. I reached a point about two years ago where I stopped buying internal drives for any reason; I just have an array of externals.

- David Stein

kvrdave
09-22-05, 05:08 PM
Thanks much to you....and you...and you...all of you.

That's what I thought.

4KRG
09-22-05, 06:43 PM
Be warned that not all external cases are created equal. So if you buy an external case by itself, search this forum first, many of us have made comments (especially X and his wonderful experience with bytec :) )

but if you live with the drive first... ;)

bill_n_opus
09-22-05, 10:13 PM
I've got three external enclosures. 2xADS 2.0 (no firewire though) 3.5/5.25 inch enclosures with integrated fan. Great looking, very functional, a little large because of the dual 3.5/5.25 form factor. Great company.

Got these 2 from Tigerdirect.ca for 16 bucks CAD each including shipping and all taxes. That translates to ~ 12 bucks US each. Incredible deal.

The other one is a Hotway SmartDrive in brushed aluminum and it's more streamlined being only a 3.5 inch form factor. Works well, can be mounted vertically. No problems. Got it for ~ 36 bucks CAD or ~ 28 US or so.

Thank goodness I never got into Bytecc or Plumax, especially the latter which i've heard some bad stories about.

DVD Polizei
09-23-05, 04:01 AM
I prefer macally enclosures myself.

kvrdave
09-23-05, 11:39 AM
Picked one up from Geeks. A Creative one, I believe

BaconPie
09-23-05, 01:49 PM
If you're tired of jumpers, try SATA, there are no jumpers, the cable is small and neat, and it's really fast, too.