DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is 5% a good raise?

Save Ferris
09-22-05, 09:27 AM
We just had our yearly reviews/raises around here. Management kept harping on how bad everything is and kept expectations low to cover themselves because everyones raise would vary.

I remember when 5% a year was pretty much expected (average) to cover inflation and whatever, Is it still? Im probably going to blow it all on gas anyway.

bigsoos
09-22-05, 09:28 AM
I got a 5% raise this past year, I consider it good :)

Pointyskull
09-22-05, 09:29 AM
it sure beats a poke in the eye
(especially based on the nonexistant raises where I'm at)

taa455
09-22-05, 09:30 AM
5% is very good in my world. I usually get 3 or 4% tops on an annual raise.

talemyn
09-22-05, 09:30 AM
it sure beats a poke in the eye
(especially based on the nonexistant raises where I'm at)Or a -7% "raise" (everyone got one of those at my last company back when the recession hit). :(

cultshock
09-22-05, 09:32 AM
5% is very good in my world. I usually get 3 or 4% tops on an annual raise.

Yeah, me too. I'd be happy with 5%.

ShagMan
09-22-05, 09:32 AM
COLA (inflation measured by increase to SS benefits every year) is 2.5-3%, so 5% is a decent raise.

Quatermass
09-22-05, 09:35 AM
5% is very good these days.
Mine for the last 5 years: 0.7%, 1%, 0.9%, 2%, 4%
of course our insurance premiums go up every year too so some of those years yielded a net loss in the take-home department. I can't complain too much because they laid off about 70% of our office in that time.

j123vt_99
09-22-05, 09:37 AM
mine for the past five years 0%, 0%, .5%, 0% and 0%.... i hate my job

Nesbit
09-22-05, 09:47 AM
Last 3 years... 5%, 5%, 0%. Out of the 5-6 different departments/job types in my work place only my department and one other didn't receive a raise or a bonus. When I asked the head of to come to a team meeting to explain it to us. All we got was "You can't value yourself by how much you make," and "We'll be re-evaluating everyone's pay rate in the fall." Well it's the first day of fall. Looks like I'll be writing a letter this afternoon.

4KRG
09-22-05, 09:55 AM
It is good if you are a typical worker bee and you did nothing to out perform or go over and above your required duties.

5% means you did as expected and no one hates you :)

Bandoman
09-22-05, 09:56 AM
It's 1% better than 4%, so that's good. :up: :banana:

LiquidSky
09-22-05, 09:56 AM
I got a 5% raise as well and consider it good. Last year, no one got raises....so I was very pleased this year.

Deftones
09-22-05, 09:57 AM
If I got a 5% raise every year, I'd be happy.

Shagrath
09-22-05, 10:00 AM
Since my promotion, I'm now in the "middle" of the company, and am at a 5% raise annually. When I got my promotion, I went up about 22%, I think, as well as a free education thrown in, so I'm happy overall.

Save Ferris
09-22-05, 10:04 AM
It is good if you are a typical worker bee and you did nothing to out perform or go over and above your required duties.

5% means you did as expected and no one hates you :)

Thats how Ive always seen it. But I dont know if its the same nowadays. Management says times are tough etc. but they always want to lower everyones expectations.

wendersfan
09-22-05, 10:06 AM
It's not bad. I think I got 6.5% this year.

Michael T Hudson
09-22-05, 10:07 AM
My wife is a Teacher and Austin and she did not get a raise this year at all. I think you should be happy with 5%.

ChiTownAbs, Inc
09-22-05, 10:07 AM
If you're a private company, and you're "just a worker bee" (no access to financials) then you have no idea what the company is making.

Are you doing more work today than a year ago? Are your billings up (have you picked up more clients or projects)

If you've been losing clients, then I could see that 'times are tough', but everything I've seen shows that the economy has been improving.

Bushdog
09-22-05, 10:08 AM
It depends on the company and industry. Management loves to say something like, "The average raise was 3% but we worked hard to get you 5%." In my industry I've seen companies average 3% often enough, but there are always exceptions. "Covering inflation" is going to be relative to how high inflation is, also.

bigsoos
09-22-05, 10:09 AM
Mine's been like 0%, 0%, 3%, 5% the past 4 years. I'd kill for a 5% raise each year.

Mine favorite management line:
While bustin our butts working 50-70 hr work weeks, "You know when this is all over, we'll take care of you guys."

kvrdave
09-22-05, 10:10 AM
Or a -7% "raise" (everyone got one of those at my last company back when the recession hit). :(

We had a recession? :eek:

gimmepilotwings
09-22-05, 10:11 AM
I got a 7% raise this year. I know that I am lucky, and I dont expect to receive it every year.

Bushdog
09-22-05, 10:15 AM
Mine's been like 0%, 0%, 3%, 5% the past 4 years. I'd kill for a 5% raise each year.

Mine favorite management line:
While bustin our butts working 50-70 hr work weeks, "You know when this is all over, we'll take care of you guys."
Screw that. I trust management as much as they trust me. If they say they'll reward you later, tell them that you'll work 30 hours now, and 100 after they give you what you deserve.

Static_Rainbow
09-22-05, 10:24 AM
Is 5% a good raise?

It is to me!
Money is money no matter what!
Man! I need a job.

grrrah
09-22-05, 10:32 AM
Its good if you don't have an increase in responsibility and are doing the same thing.If you are in a position that you are supposed to grow out of and gain more responsibility, it is probably average.

Bushdog
09-22-05, 10:34 AM
I got a 7% raise this year. I know that I am lucky, and I dont expect to receive it every year.It depends on your viewpoint. I think that people should get paid what they are worth, not a set percentage that is a function of the company budget. What I mean is, the percentage game is so that companies can manage their personnel budgets -- what does that have to do with you? You should get paid something close to your market value.

I just calculated that I've averaged something in the range of 40% a year for the past 5 years. That is a lewd number if you get into the "5% is what I deserve based on everyone else" theory. Companies generally do not like it when you refuse to accept that theory.

Save Ferris
09-22-05, 10:56 AM
I have a history of rarely staying in a job more than a few years. You always get a much bigger raise when you job hop. It doesnt look bad on paper either because you got paid more in your newer position. The company hiring you sees you on an upward spiral.

Lateralus
09-22-05, 11:40 AM
5% is better than average but not exceptional, the only reason why I got more last year is because I got a merit increase and I went up a step; otherwise I would have gotten 2.5%

Cygnet74
09-22-05, 12:26 PM
5%? i must be doing something right. my last five pay increases have been much higher. most of these coincided with a promotion of sorts at the company i worked for. although, the last one (42%) was given to myself, i suppose, when i became a freelance editor.

30% increase
23% increase
16% increase
18% increase
42% increase

ANDREMIKE
09-22-05, 01:29 PM
Why would you continue to work for a company if they didn't give you a raise for the last 5 years? The company is just begging for you to leave....

Big Dave
09-22-05, 01:53 PM
I have gotten 6% the each of the last 2 years and at my company that is considered higher-end, so I would say 5% would be above-average.

grrrah
09-22-05, 02:03 PM
Why would you continue to work for a company if they didn't give you a raise for the last 5 years? The company is just begging for you to leave....

what if he is currently and has been overpaid for the past 5 years.

a lot of people around here deserved 30k, but got 80k/year jobs back in the dot com era, and the ones that still have jobs are greatfull they didn't get laid off. assuming they still arent qualified to make 80k/year.

eightiesguy
09-22-05, 02:44 PM
My last contract (I'm a teacher) had a 12% raise over the course of 3 years. the one before that was 10% over 3 years. so it works out to 3-4% a year. Now that is on the base pay rate for starting teachers.... I also get a small raise for each year I work here..... not sure of the percentage offhand

DVD Polizei
09-22-05, 03:04 PM
We just had our yearly reviews/raises around here. Management kept harping on how bad everything is and kept expectations low to cover themselves because everyones raise would vary.

I remember when 5% a year was pretty much expected (average) to cover inflation and whatever, Is it still? Im probably going to blow it all on gas anyway.

If you make $250,000 a year, it's a good amount. But for the average person, it don't do shit.

shoppingbear
09-22-05, 09:23 PM
It's not bad. I think I got 6.5% this year.
5%? i must be doing something right. my last five pay increases have been much higher....
30% increase
23% increase
16% increase
18% increase
42% increase
:mad: I hate you both. :mad:

I work for the state, and like most state workers, I think this year I got about 2%... but that was our first raise in like three years! :( 5% would make me pass out with shock... :fart:

jadasion
09-22-05, 09:57 PM
I just received 9% this year with a 4% bonus :D

strife
09-22-05, 10:18 PM
I have a history of rarely staying in a job more than a few years. You always get a much bigger raise when you job hop. It doesnt look bad on paper either because you got paid more in your newer position. The company hiring you sees you on an upward spiral.

Not completely true in all industries. If you change to often can also look bad like you can not keep a job.

FiveO
09-23-05, 07:27 AM
We got 1.5 and 1% for the last two years...so yeah...5% is good.

Nothing like working for county government... :rolleyes:

Michael Corvin
09-23-05, 08:26 AM
A friend of mine(whole company) recently got a $10 raise... per pay period. They get paid every other week. I'm sure she would take 5% anyday.

twikoff
09-23-05, 08:28 AM
A friend of mine(whole company) recently got a $10 raise... per pay period. They get paid every other week. I'm sure she would take 5% anyday.

well now.. lets not jump the gun

is that $10 net or gross???

Save Ferris
09-23-05, 10:45 AM
Not completely true in all industries. If you change to often can also look bad like you can not keep a job.

I dont think so--Getting fired or laid off makes you look like you cant keep a job.

Nowadays theres no company loyalty anymore, if you arent being treated/paid right you jump. You're taking your future in your own hands, and people respect it. It says you wont put up with crappy managers or corporate mistakes.

Being proactive about switching jobs is always better than waiting until you're out of a job either by firing or 'lay offs'. I guarantee you a hiring manager would rather 'steal' an employee from another company (especially a competitor) than someone from the unemployed list--unless theres a huge difference in skill/experience.

Heres how you do it: You dont slam your company, not at all. Your reason to jump ship is to grow. You want to do more and be part of an exciting new team. Then you can get a nice NICE raise. Ive done it many times. Damn. I should have seminars. :p

Michael Corvin
09-23-05, 11:09 AM
well now.. lets not jump the gun

is that $10 net or gross???

:lol: Sadly it is gross.

mndtrp
09-26-05, 07:58 AM
5% is cool, I know a lot of people that would be happy with that.