Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What defines a good person?

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 12:08 PM
Recently I began to wonder what exactly defines a good person. I have plenty of friends that I consider to be great people but not everyone agrees. I try myself to be a good person but I know that I’m not all the time. I’m interested in seeing others definitions of the term “good person”.

I would think someone who’s a dedicated friend is a better person than someone who tries to make everyone happy. Then again if someone cares for everyone doesn’t that mean they are really a good person.

Is it caring for the environment? Is it a person with a dedicated passion about something? Is it some who rushes off to places in need? Is it a people pleaser? Is it a brutally honest person?

Can anyone really be a “good person” all the time?

scottall
09-20-05, 12:10 PM
As long as you're honest and keep the rape and murder to a minimum, then you're okay in my book.

Supermallet
09-20-05, 12:12 PM
It's all fluid. I think I'm the second best person there is. Many wouldn't agree.

NotThatGuy
09-20-05, 12:12 PM
I think overall i'm a good person....but no one is perfect. I am very loyal to my close group of friends (which is 4-5 people), but then things become more subjective after that.

-p

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 12:14 PM
It's all fluid. I think I'm the second best person there is. Many wouldn't agree.

Who's the first?

Numanoid
Flavor.

La Bella Rose
As long as you're honest and keep the rape and murder to a minimum, then you're okay in my book.

:lol:

Save Ferris
09-20-05, 12:15 PM
theres a difference between 'polite' and 'good'

devilshalo
09-20-05, 12:15 PM
Lamarr: Qualifications?
Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
Lamarr: You said rape twice.
Applicant: I like rape.
Lamarr: Charming. Sign right here.

Supermallet
09-20-05, 12:16 PM
Who's the first?

<s>joltaddict</s>
<s>Bandoman</s>
<s>Gandhi</s>

I'll get back to you...

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 12:18 PM
theres a difference between 'polite' and 'good'

So is it always good to be polite? I don't really think so.

DAC
09-20-05, 12:24 PM
It's better to look good than to be good.

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 12:26 PM
It's better to look good than to be good.

Crap then I'm out.....:lol:

Bronkster
09-20-05, 12:35 PM
In general terms: Be responsible for yourself and be considerate of those around you.

quote: Can anyone really be a “good person” all the time?

I think so, yes. But whether the actions of said person are interpreted as such is entirely subjective.

NotThatGuy
09-20-05, 12:37 PM
Can anyone really be a “good person” all the time?

Sure...but they'd be boring as shit. Think "Ned Flanders" without his break from religion, combined with Al Gore's Personality (or lack there of)

4KRG
09-20-05, 12:52 PM
Don't fool yourself, there are no 'good people'. There are only people that put on a show for you ;)

Groucho
09-20-05, 12:58 PM
Flavor.He is a more than a good person. He's a GREAT person, yeah BOYEEEEEEE

Save Ferris
09-20-05, 12:59 PM
So is it always good to be polite? I don't really think so.

No, meaning 'politeness' and 'goodness' can be mutually exclusive.

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 01:01 PM
A good person is someone who puts everyone before themselves. They serve others, are honest and faithful. They would sacrifice their lives to save others.

Chris

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 01:08 PM
A good person is someone who puts everyone before themselves. They serve others, are honest and faithful. They would sacrifice their lives to save others.

Chris

No one can always serve everyone or they would become a door mat. I think there is to much bad in this world to have any good people by that definition.

Big Quasimodo
09-20-05, 01:26 PM

Chris

That's a saint.

A good person is one who sincerely tries to be kind to themselves and others.

talemyn
09-20-05, 01:37 PM
I do. http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/images/Smilies/BatThreat.gif

happycamper
09-20-05, 01:43 PM
I think most people try to be a 'good person', but not everyone is going to agree with that. I think its all a matter of opinion and what YOU consider to be a good person in YOUR eyes.

General Zod
09-20-05, 01:43 PM
A good person is when you're fighting some nasty Deadwind Ogre Mage's and you've just about got them killed but then one spawns right on top of you, feign death is resisted and your pet dies, so while trying to run away you see your health slowly slipping away when all of a sudden a mage appears out of nowhere and turns the Ogre into a sheep. That's a good person.

Rockmjd23
09-20-05, 01:44 PM
A good person is someone who gives head to random strangers.

Deftones
09-20-05, 01:45 PM
I would say that letting go of something is a good start....

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 01:47 PM
A good person is when you're fighting some nasty Deadwind Ogre Mage's and you've just about got them killed but then one spawns right on top of you, feign death is resisted and your pet dies, so while trying to run away you see your health slowly slipping away when all of a sudden a mage appears out of nowhere and turns the Ogre into a sheep. That's a good person.
I’m not embarrassed to say I googled that to get it...:lol:

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 01:48 PM
A good person is someone who gives head to random strangers.

Crap I'm out again...:lol:

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 01:49 PM
I would say that letting go of something is a good start....

Agreed... :thumbsup:

talemyn
09-20-05, 01:51 PM
Who's the first?Wil Wheaton!! :banana:

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/04.07.04/gifs/lit-wheaton-0415.jpg

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 01:52 PM
Dreamy...:lol:

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 02:58 PM

Too many videogames! -ohbfrank-

Chris

twikoff
09-20-05, 03:00 PM
The sports teams they cheer for

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 03:01 PM
Dreamy...:lol:

Not these days!

http://www.myside-yourside.net/disneyland/constipation.jpeg

Chris

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 03:02 PM

Goooooooooo Lakers!

Chris

twikoff
09-20-05, 03:07 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
not a good person

uberjoe
09-20-05, 03:08 PM

Go Braves!

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 03:12 PM
Not these days!

http://www.myside-yourside.net/disneyland/constipation.jpeg

Chris

eew...:lol:

talemyn
09-20-05, 03:14 PM
Goooooooooo Lakers!

Chris-ohbfrank-

Here . . . watch how it's done . . .

WAR EAGLE!!!

Save Ferris
09-20-05, 03:14 PM
I think most people try to be a 'good person', but not everyone is going to agree with that. I think its all a matter of opinion and what YOU consider to be a good person in YOUR eyes.

Thats a little too subjective. Im sure lots of serial killers (BTK?) consider themselves a good person, or at the most a little bad but better now.

Lots of people can do horrible things with a clear conscience, so clearly thats not a good measuring stick either.

If we're asking for an external measure of 'goodness' it looks like it has to stem from the tenets of law or religion.

Bandoman
09-20-05, 03:19 PM
Who's the first?

Exactly. :D

Bandoman
09-20-05, 03:20 PM
<s>joltaddict</s>
<s>Bandoman</s>
<s>Gandhi</s>

I'll get back to you...

I don't know whether it's better to be considered and then crossed off, or not considered at all... :sad:

At least I'm better than Ghandi, but not quite as good as joltaddict (who is one sexy hot Asian babe).

La Bella Rose
09-20-05, 03:21 PM
Exactly. :D

That's what I thought he'd say...:lol:

talemyn
09-20-05, 03:24 PM
I don't know whether it's better to be considered and then crossed off, or not considered at all... :sad:

At least I'm better than Ghandi, but not quite as good as joltaddict (who is one sexy hot Asian babe).Unless he was just marking off the obvious "no"'s first and then started into the possible "yes"'s with Ghandi . . .

mersaulte
09-20-05, 03:46 PM
The sports team they cheer for: GO LEAFS GO!!
Will Wheaton: looks like a bitter old queen now

I used to be very jaded and agree with 4KRG that there are no good people, just people who put on a good show. That can be true, though.. I know a couple of people who constantly have that good citizen smile plastered to their face, beaming with that love of Christ expression, who go home and beat their kids, cheat on their wife, etc.

Don't forget to be sure not to slip into only seeing black and white. Grey is beautiful, and we're all shades of grey. The best person will have a few faults, and the worst person has a couple or so good qualities. Usually.

That said, your question reminded me of this thing I have taped to a kitchen cabinet where I see it every day. It's yellowed with age, and can be found all over the web. Some of it is sickeningly sweet and other parts are really annoying, but the basic message is awesome.

"Desiderata"
go placidly amid the noise and haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.
as far as possible without surrender
be on good terms with all persons.
speak your truth quietly and clearly;
and listen to others,
even the dull and the ignorant;
they too have their story.
avoid loud and aggressive persons,
the are vexations to the spirit.
if you compare yourself with others,
you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greather and less persons than yourself.
enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
keep interested in your own career, however humble;
it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
exercise caution in your business affairs;
for the world is full of trickery.
but let this not blind you to what virtue there is;
many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.
be yourself.
especially, do not feign affection.
neither be cynical about love;
for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment
it is as perennial as the grass.
take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune.
but do not distress yourself with dark imaginings.
many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
beyond a wholesome discipline,
be gentle with yourself.
you are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
and whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
with all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
be cheerful.
strive to be happy.

-- max ehrmann, 1927

That little thingy found its way to me at a very low point in my life, and ever since I have tried to keep it in mind; it's very gentle and comforting.

eXcentris
09-20-05, 03:51 PM
Who's the first?

Atticus Finch

Kittydreamer
09-20-05, 03:51 PM
A good person will help you out, no matter how deep you need the grave to be. :up:

twikoff
09-20-05, 04:17 PM
-ohbfrank-

Here . . . watch how it's done . . .

WAR EAGLE!!!

^^^^^^^^^^
If you look up good person in the dictionary, this is the person you will find

WhoGirl
09-20-05, 05:42 PM
Thats a little too subjective. Im sure lots of serial killers (BTK?) consider themselves a good person, or at the most a little bad but better now.

Lots of people can do horrible things with a clear conscience, so clearly thats not a good measuring stick either.

If we're asking for an external measure of 'goodness' it looks like it has to stem from the tenets of law or religion.
Well put. Sociopaths think that what they're doing is good and "right" and it's the rest of the world that's fucked up.

Without making it too complicated and getting into Psychology: A good person is someone who does right by their family and friends. I don't care if they do things for other people or donate money to charity or whatever, as long as they take care of things close to home.

Supermallet
09-20-05, 06:02 PM

At least I'm better than Ghandi, but not quite as good as joltaddict (who is one sexy hot Asian babe).

Hey, just because you're not the first best person in the world doesn't mean you're a bad person, just not the best person.

LurkerDan
09-20-05, 06:02 PM
WhoGirl, I couldn't disagree more. The true measure of someone's quality is how they deal with those they don't know, not with those that they do.

talemyn
09-20-05, 06:16 PM
WhoGirl, I couldn't disagree more. The true measure of someone's quality is how they deal with those they don't know, not with those that they do.I was thinking along the same lines. Taking care of friends and family is kind of in your own best interest . . . taking care of people outside of that group is more altruistic.

Of course, if Who meant taking care of friends and family in the "living up to your responsibilities" way, then I agree with her from that perspective.

Supermallet
09-20-05, 06:25 PM
This is why it's so subjective. A great family man would be considered a great man by his family. If he's a jerk outside of his family, that won't change their opinion of him. And the way he is with his family won't change outside people's opinion of him. So which is he? Good or bad?

WhoGirl
09-20-05, 06:26 PM
Of course, if Who meant taking care of friends and family in the "living up to your responsibilities" way, then I agree with her from that perspective.
That's exactly what I meant. I should have added this, but I didn't feel like over-explaining things like I tend to do. But, donating money, helping strangers, and all that is beyond the call of duty as far as goodness goes. But first you should start at home and take care of the ones you love. Then move on from there.

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 06:42 PM
This is why it's so subjective. A great family man would be considered a great man by his family. If he's a jerk outside of his family, that won't change their opinion of him. And the way he is with his family won't change outside people's opinion of him. So which is he? Good or bad?

Not really good!

Chris

Supermallet
09-20-05, 06:47 PM
Ah, but how is your view weighed against the view of the family?

Of course, I know your answer is that there is a higher power that actually judges all the person's deeds.

Putting religion aside, though, people's "goodness" or "badness" are determined by who is evaluating the person. We can't ever take every single action and thought into account, so we go by what we've seen of the person.

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 06:54 PM
Ah, but how is your view weighed against the view of the family?

Of course, I know your answer is that there is a higher power that actually judges all the person's deeds.

Putting religion aside, though, people's "goodness" or "badness" are determined by who is evaluating the person. We can't ever take every single action and thought into account, so we go by what we've seen of the person.

And believe me, I'm trying to keep religion out of it! ;)

But ;) , a famous person once said that it is real easy to do good for the people that you love, but to the people that you do not love, it is easy to NOT do good things.

Chris

Supermallet
09-20-05, 07:00 PM
Eh, I just think, like everything else, it's subjective.

Let's take an example:

Suppose Adolf Hitler helps out a little old lady decorate her house (don't ask me why, this is hypothetical). The little old lady thinks that Hitler is just the nicest young man. Later she's told that he was responsible for the Holocaust. Her personal experience is that he was very nice. She might not believe that he is capable of doing what people say he did. To her, he's a good person.

It's an extreme and almost absurd example, I know, but it makes the point.

NCMojo
09-20-05, 07:17 PM
Also known as the "Kobe Bryant" standard...

mrpayroll
09-20-05, 11:34 PM
Eh, I just think, like everything else, it's subjective.

Let's take an example:

Suppose Adolf Hitler helps out a little old lady decorate her house (don't ask me why, this is hypothetical). The little old lady thinks that Hitler is just the nicest young man. Later she's told that he was responsible for the Holocaust. Her personal experience is that he was very nice. She might not believe that he is capable of doing what people say he did. To her, he's a good person.

It's an extreme and almost absurd example, I know, but it makes the point.

The Truth reveals that he was a bad person in the end.

Chris

Supermallet
09-20-05, 11:50 PM
Well, you're a person who looks at the world in definitives. Everything is black and white, with no grays in the middle. And that's easy for you, but I have a harder time erasing the shades of gray.

However, I do agree that Hitler was a bad person. But taking any ordinary, everyday person, I'm sure I would accept several sets of behavior from people that you would consider bad. So who is right, you or me?

mrpayroll
09-21-05, 12:18 AM
Well, you're a person who looks at the world in definitives. Everything is black and white, with no grays in the middle. And that's easy for you, but I have a harder time erasing the shades of gray.

However, I do agree that Hitler was a bad person. But taking any ordinary, everyday person, I'm sure I would accept several sets of behavior from people that you would consider bad. So who is right, you or me?

Hey, I'm not supposed to judge people. Something about the plank in my eye, while the other has a speck! ;)

But sometimes it is hard. I know the things that I have done in my life and when I think of those things, then it is not too hard to not judge other people, if that makes sense.

Chris

Supermallet
09-21-05, 01:06 AM
I didn't mean to come off as criticizing you. I was just highlighting the differences in our viewpoints, and the dilemma of answering a question like the one posed.

Big Quasimodo
09-21-05, 01:18 AM
I didn't mean to come off as criticizing you. I was just highlighting the differences in our viewpoints, and the dilemma of answering a question like the one posed.

Naw, your position that goodness is strictly subjective and relative to the viewpoint of the individual making the value judgement seems weak and argumentative.

While I don't think that there is a universal standard of "what makes a good person", certainly there is a manner of assessing a person's behavior over the course of their lives, rather than just in an isolated instant or relationship.

IE, if a guy is a saint to his wife and a prick to everyone else, he is a bad person (to most) and a good person (to one) which means that overall, he is a bad person. Just because one person thinks he is good does not obviate the preponderance of the evidence. It just means that one person thinks he is good and everyone else doesn't. That's a pretty light gray.

Is anyone totally bad? Probably not. Is anyone totally good? Doubtful. Can we come up with a reasonable standard for a good person? Yeah.

To answer one of your (black and white ;) ) questions: Who's right, you or me?

Well, where we agree on the standard of what makes a good person, that's more likely to be a good yardstick than where we disagree. Kindness to strangers, charity, humility, love, generosity, acceptance, you know.....

Supermallet
09-21-05, 01:42 AM
I was using extreme examples because it would take too long to type out a truly gray situation. However, I do feel it is subjective, and just because the masses feel something is correct, does not mean that it is so.

mrpayroll
09-21-05, 01:50 AM

Don't worry, I didn't take it that way! :)

Chris

talemyn
09-21-05, 09:35 AM
So who is right, you or me?If you are going to have any chance at a successful marraige, you'd better already know that the answer to this question is WhoGirl . . . ;)

Supermallet
09-21-05, 02:37 PM
:lol: :up: :up:

Bacon
09-21-05, 09:06 PM
[quote=twikoff]The sports teams they cheer for[/'quote] Roll tide!!!!!!!!!!!

ew I feel dirty even saying that jokingly :yack:

SCREW BAMA!!!!! now that's better :D

talemyn
09-21-05, 11:46 PM
Roll tide!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/images/Smilies/Elephant.gif &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://www.mindspring.com/~boycekb/images/Smilies/Sniper.gif

La Bella Rose
09-21-05, 11:47 PM

MJKTool
09-22-05, 12:48 AM
Also known as the "Kobe Bryant" standard...

haha you so funny whippy

AudioWizard
09-22-05, 02:51 AM
I think the rule is the bigger the DVD collection the better a person you are.

Superboy
09-22-05, 03:05 AM
A bad person will stab you in the back. A good person will stab you in the front.