Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie with the Most Dubious Political Agenda...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which movie do you think has the most dubious political agenda? At the top of my personnal list is any comparitively recent movie directed by Mel Gibson in the last decade or so; Braveheart and more recently The Patriot were rabidly anti-English and were far too political for me to stomach properly.

Even more recently, The Passion of Christ kicked up another Mel Gibson related storm and with good reason; Mel is a devout Catholic and his father is a rabid anti-semite and Holocaust denyer, so people had a good reason to be wary of Mel's religous views that were on display in The Passion of the Christ. I have not seen the movie itself and I've got mixed reports that it mixes graphic violence and depicts Hebrew priests in the same manner modern Jews were depicted in Nazi propaganda.

Also I heard that Birth of a Nation held politically dubious views about the Deep South and black slavery too, even though the movie may just seem to be only pompous, silly and quaint by today's standards.

Which movie has the worst political views?

Last edited by Cancer Man; 09-20-05 at 02:17 AM.
Old 09-20-05, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jfk
Old 09-20-05, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have to say that Triumph of the Will wins this one with ease.
Old 09-20-05, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cancer Man
Which movie do you think has the most dubious political agenda? At the top of my personnal list is any comparitively recent movie directed by Mel Gibson in the last decade or so; Braveheart and more recently The Patriot were rabidly anti-English and were far too political for me to stomach properly.

Even more recently, The Passion of Christ kicked up another Mel Gibson related storm and with good reason; Mel is a devout Catholic and his father is a rabid anti-semite and Holocaust denyer, so people had a good reason to be wary of Mel's religous views that were on display in The Passion of the Christ. I have not seen the movie itself and I've got mixed reports that it mixes graphic violence and depicts Hebrew priests in the same manner modern Jews were depicted in Nazi propaganda.

Also I heard that Birth of a Nation held politically dubious views about the Deep South and black slavery too, even though the movie may just seem to be only pompous, silly and quaint by today's standards.

Which movie has the worst political views?
OK, a few things. Mel Gibson did not direct The Patriot; Roland Emmerich did. And to be fair, the movie was about the American Revolutionary War, told from the American side, so yes, it would be largely anti-British. The same could go for Braveheart: another war story with a bias already set against the British, having been told from the Scottish side of the story. I wouldn't call these films politically biased necessarily; they weren't completely over-stepping the realms of reality. The British did fight the Americans and they fought the Scottish as well. Sure, the films did fabricate some things to make the story more dramatic/resonant/bloody, but there didn't seem to be a political agenda set against the English, at least to me.

I would have to say that you should probably see POTC and Birth of a Nation before you comment on their specific political (or any other) views.

Honestly, I don't see how any of these examples are harshly political in nature; they all certainly raised some controversy, but not because of a specific political stance, unless I completely missed the point of those movies. I'm not trying to rag on your thread topic, I just don't understand how those examples fit with a dubious or worst political agenda thread.
Old 09-20-05, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
forrest gump
Old 09-20-05, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The Life of David Gale" is the main film that sticks out in my memory for shamelessly pushing a political agenda.

-JP
Old 09-20-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Runaway Jury
Old 09-20-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Green Berets
Old 09-20-05, 09:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Any of Michael Moore's movies definitely win for dubious political agenda, not to mention being highly politically manipulative like perhaps the most infamous propaganda film of all time, Der Ewige Jude (The Eternal Jew).
Old 09-20-05, 09:34 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Runaway Jury
Totally disagree. This film is not actually about guns or the 2nd Amendment. The case is only important in that it creates a situation where the jury verdict will rule. The plot points to me just seemed to be geared toward the thriller angle.
Old 09-20-05, 09:41 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by sherm42
Totally disagree. This film is not actually about guns or the 2nd Amendment. The case is only important in that it creates a situation where the jury verdict will rule. The plot points to me just seemed to be geared toward the thriller angle.
Then why not keep Big Tobacco as the villian from the book? It made alot more sense than going after gun companies.
Old 09-20-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sauce07
forrest gump
What agenda was Forrest pushing?

and to the OP, maybe you should see the Passion before you start throwing out these claims of anti-semitism.
Old 09-20-05, 10:52 AM

The Contender and The American President come to mind. Good movies, but almost offensive in the way they promote their agendas without even offering a counterargument.
Old 09-20-05, 10:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
So, based on the posts in this thread the definition of "Dubious" = "Doesn't agree with me"?
Old 09-20-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Star Wars Episode III:Revenge of the Sith.
Old 09-20-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Day After Tomorrow
Old 09-20-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Schindler's List. Anti-Nazi in almost every way.
Old 09-20-05, 11:51 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Doughboy
but almost offensive in the way they promote their agendas without even offering a counterargument.
Yikes, if every film was saddled with that requirement, cinema would've died out decades ago.
Old 09-20-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
I've seen a lot of marxist movies from Europe made in the 1960s. Swept Away comes to mind. I can't think of any of the really bad ones offhand, but the action always stops so the main characters can make long speeches.
Old 09-20-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the second of Cancer Man's thread that seems to me to be deliberately meaningless. WTF does "dubious political agenda" mean? What kind of a question is "why did Alien Ressurection suck"? Cancer Man's on his way to being the Cottington of the movie forum.
Old 09-20-05, 12:57 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Flay
Then why not keep Big Tobacco as the villian from the book? It made alot more sense than going after gun companies.
Because by the time the movie was ready to be made, Big Tobacco was not a good fit. They needed a case where there was a huge amount at stake. Big Tobacco had been beaten already by the legal system. It would not have been as interesting to watch. It makes sense to me that guns are the closest parallel.
Old 09-20-05, 01:00 PM

Iron Eagle

Those Billy Jack movies
Old 09-20-05, 01:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
The most obvious to me would be the 2nd phase of movies made in the Spaghetti Western genre. Nearly all were Marxist in nature and self-acknowledged in their anti-establishment themes. Some were great movies though.
Old 09-20-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RayChuang
Any of Michael Moore's movies definitely win for dubious political agenda,
Only if you don't know what the word "dubious" means.
Old 09-20-05, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Liberty Stands Still - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280870/ I'm pissed off at the gun industry so I'm going to start sniping people*

* no pun intended

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.