Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

So what is DLP technology?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I keep seeing these commercials on TV for the new Texas Insturments DLP technology for televisions (think it's only for high def but I'm not sure).

So does anyone know what it is? The set looks like a regular CRT monitor.
Old 09-18-05, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The DLP website has some good demo's explaining the technology.
Old 09-18-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Rival11
I keep seeing these commercials on TV for the new Texas Insturments DLP technology for televisions (think it's only for high def but I'm not sure).

So does anyone know what it is? The set looks like a regular CRT monitor.
I'm not sure where you got the latter impression. At all.

DLP is fairly "old" technology. Been out for around three years.

Essentially, it uses a chip with thousands of tiny mirrors to project light onto a lcd projection screen. It combines the benefits of CRT RP with LCD (at some expenses).

Read up on them on the site.
Old 09-18-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Essentially, it uses a chip with thousands of tiny mirrors to project light onto a lcd projection screen. It combines the benefits of CRT RP with LCD (at some expenses).
Edited due to lack of reading skills on my part: Josh is correct.

Been out for around three years.
Actually, DLP has been in use in the home electronics market for nine years, since 1996.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 09-19-05 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-18-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No, it doesn't. DLP and LCD are distinctly different technologies. DLP uses a chip with thousands of tiny mirrors to project light through a lens onto a screen, either front projection or rear projection. LCD has nothing to do with it.
DVD Josh didn't say that DLP combined the technology of CRT RP and LCD, he said it combined the benefits. One of the benefits of LCD technology is that the end result is a television that takes up less physical space than a CRT. A DLP television has the same benefit.
Old 09-18-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, it doesn't. DLP and LCD are distinctly different technologies. DLP uses a chip with thousands of tiny mirrors to project light through a lens onto a screen, either front projection or rear projection. LCD has nothing to do with it.
Wow, just wow Salty. Way to parse what I said into something completely different to essentially repeat what I just said and claim it as your own contribution.
Old 09-18-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Regardless of how old DLP technology is, TI seems on the cusp of making DLP a common technology based on the fact they are actually advertising DLP on TV now.
Old 09-18-05, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by clemente
Regardless of how old DLP technology is, TI seems on the cusp of making DLP a common technology based on the fact they are actually advertising DLP on TV now.
True. I've personally never been impressed with DLP. They do a very poor job of reproducing blacks and do only an okay job with color saturation. I prefer plasma and LCD personally. JVC's HD-ILA does a much better job with these aspects if you are looking for a projection type TV.

It's cool that alternate forms of HD Displays are catching on though.
Old 09-18-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting, as I've personally had the opposite impression. I prefer plasma or DLP, particularly the latest Samsung models, for reproducing betters blacks than most LCD units. I like what I've seen from JVC's line of HD-ILA's, but have read of a few reliability issues which I'm sure will be ironed out eventually. Like anything, these technologies each have their list of advantages and disadvantages. When you're in the market for one, see each in a proper setup, do your research, and make an informed decision.
Old 09-18-05, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by meritocracy
Interesting, as I've personally had the opposite impression. I prefer plasma or DLP, particularly the latest Samsung models, for reproducing betters blacks than most LCD units. I like what I've seen from JVC's line of HD-ILA's, but have read of a few reliability issues which I'm sure will be ironed out eventually. Like anything, these technologies each have their list of advantages and disadvantages. When you're in the market for one, see each in a proper setup, do your research, and make an informed decision.
Same here. Well actually the new Mits LCD models come pretty close to producing the black levels of DLP.
Old 09-18-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whoa easy kids.....I'm just starting to become a nerd. Keep this at "rival 11" speed for now Thanks to Premise for the link, that explained pretty much all my questions.

Very interesting technology and ugh...shit 9 years??? I guess I really have a lot of catching up to do!!!
Old 09-18-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, just wow Salty. Way to parse what I said into something completely different to essentially repeat what I just said and claim it as your own contribution.
Hey Salty, here's where your sig comes in handy

Last edited by Rival11; 09-18-05 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-18-05, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way to parse what I said into something completely different to essentially repeat what I just said and claim it as your own contribution.
Or, instead of it being a plot to steal your thunder, it could be that I just misread what you wrote. My apologies.
Old 09-19-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
...shit 9 years??? I guess I really have a lot of catching up to do!!!
I think there was some coming and going with DLP. It seemed to be "the next big thing" when it was first introduced, then you didn't see it around much for a couple of years. Now it seems to be making a big comeback.
Old 09-19-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Better DLP tech will do that. So will dropped manufacturing costs.

In order to get better black on my DLP projector, I use a filter. This works for LCD, too. They are about even on black level, and are both getting better. Plasma and other CRT tech is easily the king of black level, and always will be. It trumps film in a theater, too. Which is supposedly the reference point.
Old 09-20-05, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JVC's HD-ILA does a much better job with these aspects if you are looking for a projection type TV.
Yeah, but insanely expensive.

True. I've personally never been impressed with DLP. They do a very poor job of reproducing blacks and do only an okay job with color saturation. I prefer plasma and LCD personally.
For home theater, I'd have to disagree. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. But LCD has a tendency to have the screendoor effect when compared to DLP, especially for video. LCD also isn't great for video when it comes to black levels and contrast. In my experience DLP to present a smoother, more film-like image. As for blacks, with the advent of the six-segment color wheels, black level has been improved upon. Some even have seven and eight segments, which increases not only color accuracy, but saturation as well. Both have made strides, but I'd always advise DLP for video and LCD for spreadsheet type presentation.
Old 09-21-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, DLP has been in use in the home electronics market for nine years, since 1996.
And Texas Instruments first publically demo'd it in late '93 or early '94 if I remember correctly. One of my high school teachers went to a tech demo in Dallas where they projected Jurassic Park through a DLP.
Old 09-25-05, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 412 Likes on 357 Posts
Ummm...I would never enter the technical discussion, but the OP mentioned "it looks just like a regular CRT". I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but the DLP (and LCD) Rear Projector TV's have the advantage of similar size screens of the CRT RP, but the entire unit is much smaller and lighter. Most of these are "table top" meaning you put them in an entertainment center. They are much narrower so don't take up near the room.

I think it is fairly safe to say the DLP (and LCD) RP's revitalized the HT industry. Many folks wanted and could afford a 55" CRT RP TV, but simply did not want to take up the real estate in their living room/family room whatever. Now you can get the same size screen and stick in an entertainment center.
Old 09-28-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
Ummm...I would never enter the technical discussion, but the OP mentioned "it looks just like a regular CRT".
Correct, that's what it looked like to me in the commercial. Keep in mind that I had absoultely no idea what it was when I originally asked the question as well - Ha, I didn't even post it in the correct forum originally!!!