Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Has Bjork totally lost it?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-05, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 'Drawing Restraint 9', Bjorks new album and was so disappointed. Granted its a soundtrack to her new film, but still, after 'Medulla' things have been looking increasingly bad for her. The only good thing she did in the last five years was 'Dancer in the Dark'. Any comments?
Old 09-16-05, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to respond to one of your posts... finally. I don't like it either. Maybe I need to give it more time, but it's a far cry from "Post".
Old 09-16-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I would take "lost it" Bjork over any "good" music by Alyssa Milano or Emma Bunton any day of the week.

Bjork transcends cool, and for me, never disappoints.
Old 09-16-05, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's an experimental soundtrack. It isn't supposed to be taken as a full fledged Bjork lp.

That being said, I think it will grow on me over time. Just as all Bjork albums have.
Old 09-16-05, 09:24 AM
Banned

But "Medulla" is still a very very bad album no matter which way you cut it. Bjork is cool, but this new pretentious cool does not work. She supposedly turns into a mutant whale in this new movie, which doesn't sound too promising. I liked her best during her Gling Glo days. Now THAT was an album.

But I do think that Bjork (who actually reminds me of Barbra Streisand - always has) can make a good comeback, the same way Jewel did with 'Intuition'. She just needs a great single and video.
Old 09-16-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cottington
But I do think that Bjork (who actually reminds me of Barbra Streisand - always has) can make a good comeback, the same way Jewel did with 'Intuition'.
Sorry, but I doubt we'll hear Bjork's music in Gillette commercials anytime soon.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 09-16-05 at 10:35 AM.
Old 09-16-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But "Medulla" is still a very very bad album no matter which way you cut it. Bjork is cool, but this new pretentious cool does not work. She supposedly turns into a mutant whale in this new movie, which doesn't sound too promising. I liked her best during her Gling Glo days. Now THAT was an album.

But I do think that Bjork (who actually reminds me of Barbra Streisand - always has) can make a good comeback, the same way Jewel did with 'Intuition'. She just needs a great single and video.
You are wrong just like you are in just about every single one of your threads. It's painful to read your posts.
Old 09-16-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
But "Medulla" is still a very very bad album no matter which way you cut it.
Wrooooooong.

WTF? Again, Wrooooong.
Old 09-16-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I haven't heard the new album but I do remember not liking Medulla when I first heard it. But it soon grew on me. Bjork's music isn't simple, and it isn't cookie cutter Pop that always fits on the 1st try. You can't just skip through the cuts and at a Music Store listening station and get the full power of her music. You must sit down and listen with your brain on and your mind on Open. Now that I think of it Selma's Songs was another one I didn't like at 1st. But like Medulla, it grew on me.

Will this new one grow on me? I don't know. But given her track record chances are it will.
Old 09-16-05, 10:50 AM
Banned

I seriously think she needs to work with the Neptunes or Kanye West. Now it may seem a strange idea but it will pay off. Barbra has done it, and it worked.
Old 09-16-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aaaaggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!11111111111!!!!111!!!!11!!
Old 09-16-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't someone find a forum rule this guy is breaking and ban him? The sheer nonsense of his posts have to quallify.
Old 09-16-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by automator
You are wrong just like you are in just about every single one of your threads. It's painful to read your posts.
Old 09-16-05, 11:40 AM
Banned

Can someone tell me what was wrong with that? I am only interested in seeing Bjork taking feedback and doing what she does best - making good music. I am so glad you guys feel the same. Meanwhile, Barbras new CD drops soon.

Anyone know if Bjorks 1st album is availa ble anywhere? The kiddie one?
Old 09-16-05, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Maybe she doesn't feel like "making good music". She's an artist who makes music she wants to make, and she obviously has a fan base. Even though I don't listen to her, I've always respected her for that. I respect any artist who is true to themselves and ignores following trends and catering to what the industry wants them to do. I'm sure Bjork's attitude is "Don't like my album? Fair enough, step aside and let someone through who does."

Your contention that Medulla is a "very very bad album no matter which way you cut it" is your sole opinion, and there's no need restating it. Stating your opinion one time is one thing...numerous times makes it seem like you're trying to convince everyone your opinion is the right one.
Old 09-16-05, 12:06 PM

I think this is more Matthew Barney's album than it is Bjork, I mean Bjork is the performer yes, but it's about catering to her husband's art which is kinda of non-attainable and becoming more abstract than she normally is, not really supposed to be this listenable mainstream soundtrack. I think it watched in context with the movie, it would make more of a positive impression.
Old 09-16-05, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Can't someone find a forum rule this guy is breaking and ban him? The sheer nonsense of his posts have to quallify.
I just went in and read most of his/her posts. He/she has to be a very sarcastic person.
Old 09-16-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cottington is a doppelganger... does anyone remember a couple years back? Think deep...
Old 09-16-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
Cottington is a doppelganger... does anyone remember a couple years back? Think deep...
Remembering the Greats: Old Cottington Threads
Old 09-16-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought Medulla was fantastic. Like Vespertine, though, it took awhile to grab me.

The samples I heard from Drawing Restraint 9 were very much ambient soundtrack music. Pretty unremarkable stuff on first reaction. I hope to god this isn't the album we get from her promise to record albums back-to-back. If so, that's cheating - her boyfriend's experiment movie should not count.
Old 09-17-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Vespertine dvd-audio is what got my attention at first(the 5.1 is AMAZING) and her other work made me a fan. Medulla a true dvd-audio in quality and 5.1 mix has some great stuff on it , but its no Vespertine. I have since bought 4 or 5 of her dvds, the video collection is down right amazing.

She really to me is the female version of Prince. Both great talents whos work I've come to love.
Old 09-18-05, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hdtv00

She really to me is the female version of Prince. Both great talents whos work I've come to love.
A perfect comparison.

Bjork, much like Prince, is an artist who's filled with creative juices and sometimes it goes a bit beyond the scope of the average listener. Hell, even hardcore fans must sometimes work at liking their new stuff. But when you give it the chance it deserves you'll find you're suddenly in love with something that's more than a simple Pop-tune.

I'll say that David Bowie is another artist who's gone far beyond normal creative forces.
Old 09-18-05, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
While I disliked Medulla as well,

I seriously think she needs to work with the Neptunes or Kanye West. Now it may seem a strange idea but it will pay off. Barbra has done it, and it worked.
is probably one of the worst things I have ever heard. Especially considering Bjork.

I'm not going to begin to pretend by saying I have liked all of her music, but she is definately doing her own thing. It usually works, and I have a lot of respect for her.
Old 09-19-05, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Medulla is far from a bad ablum. It's not her best, but its still very good. Its refreshing to hear some beautiful and original music. Maybe everyone who dislikes this album is afraid of it since it sounds nothing like the recycled shit you hear on MTV and top 40 radio. whatever!
Old 09-19-05, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bjorn Borg is pretty cool.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.