Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cat Power: The Greatest - January 2006 + Tour Dates

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tracklisting:

1. The Greatest
2. Living Proof
3. Lived In Bars
4. Could We
5. Empty Shell
6. Willie
7. Where Is My Love
8. The Moon
9. Islands
10. After It All
11. Hate
12. Love And Communication

Cat Power to Tour in Anticipation of New Album

Jessica Suarez reports:
A Cat Power tour announcement means a couple of things: one, the shy, elusive performer is ready to improve her appearance- to-performance ratio, and two, Chan Marshall has completed work on her seventh album. The LP, entitled The Greatest, will be released on Matador Records in January. As Pitchfork reported back in June, the album was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Tennessee, with a gaggle of veteran studio musicians, including members of the Hi Records house band as well as Steve Potts, drummer for Stax Records' legendary house band Booker T and the MGs. Both labels and bands were responsible for creating and defining the Memphis/Southern soul sound.

Marshall seems pleased with the results of her recording sessions: She told Rolling Stone recently, "Playing with these guys makes it a more joyful, country kind of thing." No complete track listing yet, but in addition to the title track, "The Greatest," the album also includes "Could We," "Love and Communication," and "Willie," a reworked version of the song "Willie Dead Wilder" from her Speaking for Trees CD/DVD. With the album complete, Marshall is now free to play some shows, or not to, depending on how she's feeling. Her fall schedule kicks off with a performance of The Covers Record in its entirety at the Barbican in London this Saturday, as part of All Tomorrow's Parties "Don't Look Back" concert series.

Please remember to use your indoor voices, and no flash photography, as it distracts the performer:

09-17 London, England - Barbican – All Tomorrow's Parties "Don't Look Back" concert series*
10-12 Oberlin, OH - Dionysus
10-13 Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
10-14 Charlottesville, VA - Satellite Ballroom
10-16 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel
10-17 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
10-18 Memphis, TN - Hi-Tone
10-20 Springfield, MO - Randy Bacon Gallery
10-21 Columbia, MO - Mojo's
10-22 Urbana, IL - Canopy Club
10-23 Chicago, IL - Park West
10-25 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center for the Arts
10-26 Louisville, KY - Bromhard Theater
11-04 Paris, France - La Cigale
11-14 New York, NY - Tribeca Performing Art Center

* with Múm

Last edited by auto; 12-22-05 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-12-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Cool. I just wish the show wasn't in October. I've already got a lot of shows that month. It would have been nice if her and the Dirty Three would have toured together, since she appears on their upcoming album, but I guess I'll still get to see them both in the same week.
Old 09-12-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whew! I thought this was going to be another artist just releasing a rehash of old material. Glad to know "The Greatest" is all new stuff and not a 'hits' collection. I look forward to it.
Old 09-13-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda odd that the album is titled "The Greatest". The greatest thing Chan's done? The Greatest buncha musicians all working on one project? I'm Chan Marshall and I'm The Greatest? I really like Cat Power but that title just leaves me cold somehow though I'm pretty guaranteed to pick it up when it comes out.

-Gunshy
Old 12-22-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
updated first post with cover art and tracklisting.

This is due January 22, 2005.
Old 12-22-05, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a pretty big fan -- have all her stuff and have seen her live -- and do in fact find this to be her best album.