Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KORN signs with Virgin

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KORN signs with Virgin

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
KORN signs with Virgin

Korn Signs With Virgin

Rock act Korn has signed a new deal with Virgin that covers not only a recording deal but also a partnership with parent company EMI Music for touring, music publishing, merchandising and sponsorship. The former Epic group's first album for Virgin, which is as-yet-untitled, is expected before the end of the year.

EMI says the new deal is modeled on its arrangement with U.K. superstar Robbie Williams, in which both parties benefit from the revenue generated by non-album activities.

"I always felt like I was working for a record company," says Korn frontman Jonathan Davis. "Now I feel like we have a true partner. I'm looking forward to this new chapter in our career."

Korn has racked up U.S. album sales of nearly 15 million copies since 1994, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The new album will be the follow-up to 2003's "Take a Look in the Mirror," and also the band's first since the February departure of guitarist Brian "Head" Welch.

The group is in the midst of a European tour that concludes Sept. 22 in Moscow. A North American outing is in the planning stages.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 09-13-05, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not trying to threadcrap here, so please don't take it as such, but I think that this was a bad move on Virgin's part (they also advanced Korn $15,000,000 on this deal). I saw Korn on a tour with Rob Zombie a few years ago, when both were in their heyday. I thought Rob was great; Korn was pretty much a letdown (though, to be fair, I think the kids reacted much better to Korn).
I'll be shocked if Korn is still around in 3 years, and if their records/tours continue to take in the money Virgin is looking for (if they are around, I foresee the small hall circuit looming in their future). I think they are rapidly becoming passe.
Old 09-13-05, 12:50 PM
Retired

Korn's last cd was pretty good and sold well.

I saw them a little over a year ago and though they were very good live and I'm not a big fan. The crowd went nuts for them.

I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 09-13-05, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard a rumor that Korn is set to ink a deal to do a Reality show(similar to INXS) to find the new bassist? After he became a Christian.
Old 09-13-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought it was the guitar player who found god?
Old 09-14-05, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
It was definitely the guitarist Head who who found Jesus hence the 'Korn gave Head to Jesus" t-shirts....
Old 09-14-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i thought it was the guitar player who found god?
What made you think otherwise?

also the band's first since the February departure of guitarist Brian "Head" Welch.
Old 09-14-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
I'm not trying to threadcrap here, so please don't take it as such, but I think that this was a bad move on Virgin's part (they also advanced Korn $15,000,000 on this deal). I saw Korn on a tour with Rob Zombie a few years ago, when both were in their heyday. I thought Rob was great; Korn was pretty much a letdown (though, to be fair, I think the kids reacted much better to Korn).
I'll be shocked if Korn is still around in 3 years, and if their records/tours continue to take in the money Virgin is looking for (if they are around, I foresee the small hall circuit looming in their future). I think they are rapidly becoming passe.
Don't under estimate the power of the money given to MTV and radio stations and also the zombie like fashion that the kids follow MTV with.
Old 09-14-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdrlv
What made you think otherwise?

I'm assuming it was the thread right above his, where Dalvin mistakenly mentions the bassist leaving.
Old 09-14-05, 02:48 PM
Banned

Joeboo835:

Mtv still has great influence, I'll agree, but they're too mired in the "urban" look/style to play something heavy like Korn, except during genre-specific programming, I'd imagine. And they play FAR fewer videos than ever these days. It's become more of a "youth lifestyles" channel.
Old 09-18-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Korn is usually pretty enjoyable to see live. I won't agree with all of their choices in albums (Issues), but they've got some fun songs.

They'll stick around.
Old 09-18-05, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Joeboo835:

Mtv still has great influence, I'll agree, but they're too mired in the "urban" look/style to play something heavy like Korn, except during genre-specific programming, I'd imagine. And they play FAR fewer videos than ever these days. It's become more of a "youth lifestyles" channel.
True but they still find time to play My Chemical Romance non-stop. Ugg.
Old 09-19-05, 03:05 PM
Banned

Yeah, but at least MCR doesn't have a fucking DJ in the band....a turntable IS NOT, and NEVER WILL BE a musical instrument, the new generations' opinions be damned.