Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Die Hard Trilogy bootleg question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Die Hard Trilogy bootleg question...

I was at "Movie Exchange" in Houston, Texas (the Westheimer location, if there's more than one). I have no problem posting that information here, given the altercation I had with the employee that was working at the time.

While I was browsing around, I saw a Die Hard trilogy priced at $19.99. Since I don't own the films, I figured it'd be worth picking up. I'd never seen this particular set, so I asked the cashier if he had any information on the set (if it was out of print, etc). He said that he couldn't find any information on it, so he guessed it was OOP.

I purchased it. When I got out to my car and looked more closely, I noticed that on the inside, there was a typo. The sentence was something to the effect of, "It's one man against everyone. Just the way he likes it." The word "against," however, was spelled "againts." This set off my bullshit detector...but not enough to go in and make the return right away.

I went on shopping. I got to a store a bit further down Westheimer called "Movie Trading Company." I brought it in and asked the clerk to scan the barcode to see if it came up in their system. It didn't. So, I asked if he had internet access. He said he did, and he let me check DVDAF. Their database is rather extensive, and I didn't see my particular set. That was enough evidence for me, so I went back to the store.

When I got there, I told the guy I had a return. He asked why. I told him it wasn't an authorized release. He then used the following reasoning to try to convince me that it is...

(Referring to the digipak) "It would cost tens of thousands of dollars to produce a line of bootleg discs with packaging like this."

"It says THX right here. Why would somebody include a THX track on a bootleg?"

"It has a region-specific tag (R1). I've never seen a bootleg that does."

"It has a barcode. No bootlegs have barcodes."

"I found a set with a similar name on Amazon and on eBay."
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Die-Hard-the-ult...QQcmdZViewItem

Yes, this guy actually tried to use E-FUCKING-BAY as proof that this was an authorized release...an auction from a seller with (1) feedback, nonetheless. He also thought that Amazon listing with no image was sufficient. I then asked him to check DVDAficionado, DeepDiscountDVD, Overstock, Half.com, and DVDPlanet. None of them returned any similar sets.

He offered me store credit. I told him that their prices were too high (which they are, used Criterion titles range from $27 on up), and that I wanted my money back. Customers came and went. Finally, there were three people waiting, and I told him frankly, "You can go ahead and wait on them, because I'll be here until I get my money back or until y'all close, whichever comes first." He took my credit card and refunded it and I left.

Realize that this is the short version of the story. I was there for nearly 20 minutes. He called his boss twice, he searched all over the internet, he tried to school me on bootlegs (which backfired, as I politely showed him that I knew as much if not more about the DVD market than he), and so on and so forth.

Now for my question...can somebody post pictures of all of the authorized R1 Die Hard Trilogies (and if anybody can, photos of some of the R1 bootlegs)? The set I owned for a half an hour had these features:

Digipak. The cover had a photo of Bruce Willis (this photo: http://www.cinemamontreal.com/images...rd_with_a_.jpg) that was similar to the Ultimate Collection (it was a smaller square in the middle of the front cover). Some of the photo, as well as most of the text, was embossed. The text was gold, and said something to the effect of "Die Hard Ultimate Trilogy," with text both above and below the image. The spine had the full titles of all three films. There were three images on the back (each taking up 1/3 of the back cover), and no text. The logos (THX, Fox, R1, and a couple others), barcode, and so forth was on the bottom of the digipak cover. There was a large image under the spot for each disc, one "Die Hard" image, one "Die Hard 2" image, and one "Die Hard 3" image...as well as some text and whatnot. The DVD's had "DVD 9" printed on them, as well as plenty of other information.

It was a really nice looking set in all honesty. I'd just never seen it, and saw no evidence that it was authentic. So, point of the post: can anybody find an image for me, with some information about the set I was holding? I have to go back to Houston next weekend to pick up my dog, and I'd absolutely LOVE to be able to go by with something proving that the release is a bootleg...just because I'm vindictive like that and I'd love to make this guy apologize and admit he was wrong.

-JP
Old 09-11-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it said DVD 9, that's generally an indication that it's a bootleg. Plus, if it's the Die Hard Ultimate Collection, it should have come in 3 Double-Wide Alpha cases with a slipcover to hold them in, not a digipak.

There is an older release of the Die Hard Trilogy, and I'm not sure exactly what it looks like, but I'm pretty sure it didn't come in a digipak.
Old 09-11-05, 10:39 PM
Banned

These are the 2 Die Hard Trilogies that I believe have been released on R1:

Ultimate Collection:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

and Regular Edition:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 09-11-05, 10:47 PM

Yep, they even had the regular edition there. When I told him that they didn't have anything I wanted to exchange the set for, he told me I could exchange it for that one. I politely declined, explaining that I didn't want to spend an extra $18 (it was priced $37.99 used). Thanks for the responses confirming my thoughts (I was a very, very little bit worried that somebody would be like, "Oh, you mean this official Fox release from 1997," and I'd look like a complete jackass). I'd still like some irrefutible evidence that I can print out and hand this guy next weekend, though, if anybody can come up with something.

-JP
Old 09-11-05, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bootlegs rock!
Old 09-11-05, 11:46 PM

Bootlegs rock!
Dumb?
Old 09-12-05, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cannot stand that Movie Exchange on Westheimer. They do have the worst customer service ever on top of their ridiculous prices. No wonder there is only one in all of Houston!
Old 09-12-05, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I cannot stand that Movie Exchange on Westheimer. They do have the worst customer service ever on top of their ridiculous prices. No wonder there is only one in all of Houston!
Yup. I don't even pay attention to the used Criterions there anymore...I just browse around for potential deals on used titles that carry a $14.99 retail price ($6-9 on a Best Picture winner, a film from a certain director, or some other small, cheapie title that I need to complete one of my sub-collections). When it comes to used Criterion, OOP, and Boxed Set prices...they charge as much as some online retailers do for new copies. Hell, while I was there today I saw a used copy of the OOP release of David Lynch's "Dune" for $39.99 (a good $10 more than it'll cost you on Amazon's marketplace). It's definitely not the place to go to if you've grown fond of the phrase "good used deal."

-JP
Old 09-12-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

That jackass actually believed what he was saying? He thinks that just because it said "THX" and had a barcode, that it absolutely had to be legit?!? Doesn't he understand the concept of bootlegging? They're trying to make their packaging look legit! Therefore, it pretty much behooves them to put whatever they have to on them to pass them off!

Too bad I don't live closer. I could take a dump in a case, slap a barcode and "THX" on it, call it Citizen Kane*, and see if he'll give me a few bucks for it.

* (No offense to Mr. Welles and his classic example of cinematic fare.)

Last edited by The_Infidel; 09-12-05 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 07:48 PM

Yes, the guy was quite a site to behold...and was rather condescending about it at the same time (in that, "god you think this is a bootleg, you don't know anything about THX and bootlegs then" kind of way). Which is why I'm bumping this, hoping somebody will give me SOMETHING that I can print out to prove to this jackass how wrong he was.

-JP