Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cry_Wolf

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-05, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cry_Wolf

I couldnt find a thread for this movie, sorry if there already is one.

Anyone think this movie looks good? I think im gonna see it this friday i like the idea but usually PG-13 horror isnt very good. Did anyone here see a test screening?
Old 09-11-05, 08:27 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe this will be screened early for press or WOM.

So good luck this weekend, horror fans!

Last edited by scott shelton; 09-15-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-11-05, 08:35 PM

The word on IMDB is venom is absolutely horrid.
Old 09-12-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cry_Wolf has some interest to me, but little publicity and (sorry to say) PG-13.
Old 09-13-05, 09:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'd probably check out Venom before Cry_Wolf, though I don't have high hopes for either.
Old 09-16-05, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Caught a matinee of Cry_Wolf this afternoon. I had low expectations going in since there's only two critic reviews and they're both awful, but I have a soft spot for slasher movies.

My main problem with the movie is, despite the trailers and everything I've read about Cry_Wolf, I wouldn't really call it a slasher movie. It's more of a teen thriller with slasher elements as
Spoiler:
apart from the first scene, there is no killing or even chase scenes until the last 15-20 minutes.

For everyone who is complaining about the movie being rated PG-13, I honestly can't see this movie being rated anything other than that. I can't say why without revealing spoilers, but for those of you don't care:
Spoiler:
Since all but two deaths are fake and part of the game, for the most part they occur offscreen or through quick editing so the audience and main character can't tell whether its real or not.

Apart from that, I was entertained for 90 minutes. I was never really sure what was going on for the majority of the movie, and the end did provide a couple of nice surprises. However, Fangoria's review put it best when it said
Spoiler:
most scenes feel like their purpose is to "serve only to drop clues that can be flashed back to later when all is revealed."

It's worth a matinee if you're bored, or a rental when it comes to DVD. I'd rate it a C
Old 09-16-05, 07:22 PM

Just came from seeing this and I really enjoyed it. Another fun flick in vain of House of Wax. It just entertained me. Now, what House of Wax lacks, Cry_Wolf is strong in. Storywise, I give major points for creativity. I went in thinking one thing,
Spoiler:
okay, there's a killer...one of the friends is the killer...find out the killer. Basic...
Half-way through I was on too another,
Spoiler:
Okkkaaaayyyy, no actual killing going on, quick clips of imagined deaths. Pretty nifty. I thought this was horror/slasher....
Came out with a new perspective. MAJOR SPOILER-
Spoiler:
It was all a joke! A sick cruel joke....that Dodger planned out. Ohhh, another crafty female out for revenge. I like.
"Who would believe you?"

It made me smile that I was involved in the movie the whole time...playing the game right along with the rest. I'm guessing thats what they wanted to bring forth. Audience interaction.

In the end suspense, acting(bad actors? Sure, but I enjoyed the male lead - Owen - and the female lead - Dodger - ) , and charisma were its strong points. Proven.

Grade: B+
Old 09-17-05, 03:08 PM

I just saw it and thought it was very average, nothing special.
Old 09-17-05, 03:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The horrors...of instant messaging!

How did this guy, Julian Morris, get the lead role? He's awful...in, well, a terrible film.
Old 09-18-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie made back it's budget on opening night. It had a budget of 1 million dollars, from what I was reading.
Old 09-19-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
The movie made back it's budget on opening night. It had a budget of 1 million dollars, from what I was reading.
Not bad. Though I can't imagine it was under $10-$15mil with advertising and distribution.

I was hoping to find some good reviews here. The movie looks pretty lame. After I sat through Lost Souls, I don't think I"d ever watch a crappy, low-budget, ill-reviewed horror movie in theaters again.
Old 09-23-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This movie was tolerable. Barely. The lead was almost the worst thing about it. Second only to Gary Cole's british accent.

I thought that the female lead was really good, but the story was SO predictable. From the first trust game, it was pretty clear what had happened and what was going to happen. Still, it was kind of fun for a low budget release. I saw it at it's premiere, so maybe some of the excitement of that rubbed off on my opinion.

Definately a rental.