Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD rental websites for the UK, what's the best one?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 09-10-05, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!
I'm looking to try out DVD rental online. Are there any recommendations from other folk in the UK?

Mark
Old 09-10-05, 02:29 PM
Cool New Member

I use www.screenselect.co.uk and have not had any problems. Generally, they seem to have all UK R2 releases and they run an efficient service. If there are any rental sites that offer 'foreign' releases (ie Criterions and whatever) I would be pleased to know about them.
Old 09-10-05, 02:39 PM

Thanks DennyL. Screenselect and Amazon.co.uk have caught my eye so far. I was wondering, do they send out the rental version of DVDs which tend to be stripped of extra features, or are they the same as the retail DVDs? Also, how fast are they with sending out your next choice after you send one back?
Old 09-11-05, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

do they send out the rental version of DVDs which tend to be stripped of extra features, or are they the same as the retail DVDs?
I can't really say that I've done a direct comparison between a retail version and a DVD I've received from ScreenSelect, but the DVDs I receive from ScreenSelect have extras, such as commentaries, and 'Making Of's, etc. I actually thing they are like the retail versions. When a DVD consists of more than one disc, they seem to arrive in the right order, and not too far apart. I got BBC's 'A Perfect Spy' (3 disks) all within a week or so. I had 'In The Mood For Love' a couple of months ago, now the Extras disk has just turned up.

I was wondering about the Amazon deal because it can get you discounts when you purchase a DVD. Now that I use ScreenSelect, I try to discipline myself only to buying non-R2 UK discs. Why buy when you can rent? I have to say that when I'm tempted to buy a DVD (often) I think as much of the storage space requirement as the cost. When I buy a DVD I'll probably be storing it for quite a few years, and how many times will I actually watch it? I'm still trying to work out what it is that gives a movie bags of re-watch value

Last edited by DennyL; 09-11-05 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

Hi*

I've been with Amazon.co.uk's rental scheme since Augast 2004. Havn't tried the others as I'm quite happy with their quick dispatch delivery rate. You get the dvds next morning.

If there are any websites out there who have a more wider variety of dvds than Amazon (U.K) then do let me know.

Right now I'm on their £9:00 for six dvds per month plan.
But you can also rent out additional dvds for an extra charge.

What these guys really want to do is start renting out games also - can't believe no one does this as I'm sure its a bigger and more profitable market than movies.
Old 09-17-05, 03:11 PM
Cool New Member

It just seems incredible to me that if we were obedient citizens in the UK, and did things the way the industry wants us to do them, we wouldn't have access to Criterions, and so many of the other incredible releases that are out there in the world. Imagine if the entertainment industry distributed wine, and we could only buy English wine!
Old 09-17-05, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Slightly off topic. Is there anyone here that lives in York? I'm going to be staying there for awhile and want to know if there are any good DVD rental stores in the area. I've been there several times already but haven't seen one. Thanks in advance.