Reload this Page >

Have Commentaries Become passe?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-10-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about many people, but I know that for me and my friends Commentaires are our favorite special features. But looking at the specs for the 3 biggest DVD's from the Summer Blockbuster season ("War of the Worlds," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and "Batman Begins") and none of them have commentaries! And they are not all from the same productoin company, so it canot be a company trend. While I like the idea of having the special edition coming out the same day as the regular edition, I just wish we could get commentaries... and all three films would have brought very intersting comments from the creators (I could just imagine Tom Cruise & Dakota Flanning talking about running from tripods, or Christian Bale talking about becoming the 4th batman in the last decade).... IM rambling, but has anyone else noticed this trend or is it just a conwincidence....
Old 09-10-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the problem is that alot of people don't know how to do a *GOOD* commentary.

Alot of the times i feel some people do a commentary just to "do" one and they don't really put anything into it.

I'd rather have no commentary instead of a shitty and boring one.
Old 09-10-05, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
As far as War of the Worlds goes, i don't think Spielberg even does commentaries....
Old 09-10-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
To take the Spielberg thing further, he also doesn't allow commentaries at all on his DVDs. It wouldn't matter if Cruise and Fanning wanted to do one or not.

I read somewhere that Burton said that he doesn't think he's good at commentaries, so that could be why he isn't doing one for CATCF.

BTW, of your examples, you said those were the 3 biggest DVDs. You left out the biggest of all, which will have a commentary: Revenge of the Sith.
Old 09-10-05, 02:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Burton's done a lot of commentaries before, including the upcoming Batman/Batman Returns special editions. However, he is one of the worst commentators I've heard.
Old 09-10-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, in some cases it may be that the concept of commentaries has matured, and it no longer is an automatic feature. I'm perfectly happy if they don't waste my time (and yes, I consider commentaries to be just about the most important extra) and only do a commentary when there is something to say, and someone who knows how to say it.
Old 09-10-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Actually, in some cases it may be that the concept of commentaries has matured, and it no longer is an automatic feature. I'm perfectly happy if they don't waste my time (and yes, I consider commentaries to be just about the most important extra) and only do a commentary when there is something to say, and someone who knows how to say it.
Agreed. I'd rather have a commentary from someone who wants to do a commentary than someone who was forced to do one, or isn't good at them. And again, War of the Worlds isn't a good example because of Spielberg, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory's DVD might even benefit from not having a Burton commentary (though I'm hoping against hope for great commentaries on the Batman films), and I heard that Nolan's commentary on Memento was underwhelming. Besides, as someone else pointed out, you're forgetting about Star Wars Episode III, Fantastic Four, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Longest Yard, Cinderella Man...just to name a few summer movies (and, of course, without even getting into the numerous catalog special editions coming out that will have commentaries, like the Batman set, Titanic, Ran, etc.).

So in answer to your question: no.
Old 09-10-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think there are more and more commentaries on dvds then there have ever been. Even though there are alot of dull ones.

One thing i always thought they should do with commentaries is have the voices (directors, Actors etc) come out of the back speakers instead of the front. Make it sound like they are sitting behind you watching the movie. that would be pretty cool

Last edited by maingon; 09-10-05 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-10-05, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by maingon
One thing i always thought they should do with commentaries is have the voices (directors, Actors etc) come out of the back speakers instead of the front. Make it sound like they are sitting behind you watching the movie. that would be pretty cool
Really? That sounds like it'd be pretty annoying.
Old 09-10-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

most of the time i think commentaries are a waste of space on the disk. Gimme DTS or a decent documentary anyday.
Old 09-10-05, 11:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

As we all know, a lot of DVDs are completed at the same time the film is being finalized. From what I understand, many filmmakers are so burnt on their own films that the last thing they want to do is sit for a commentary, which might explain the lack of one for BATMAN at the very least.
Old 09-11-05, 10:07 AM
Cool New Member

I agree with a lot of what is said here, but it is still pretty cool when you have the option of watching your fave films with commentary by the director and/ or cast. Wish the re-released Jaws set had a commentary for example...
Old 09-11-05, 11:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's not forget classic films that sometimes get great commentaries from film scholars. Most of those can be entertaining and very educational at the same time.
Old 09-11-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
most of the time i think commentaries are a waste of space on the disk. Gimme DTS or a decent documentary anyday.
Agreed. If they can't get the director and the principle actor from a the picture it isn't worth the trouble IMO.....and I'd MUCH rather they spent the time and money putting a DTS track on the disc instead...with so many video geeks out there who have setups capable of listening to a movie in DTS, that space would be much more beneficial to the consumer. OAR is important, and these days a good audio track is as well. Some of the newer doubledips actually leave the DTS track off so they can add a few outtakes to a movie!! I have no problems with a barebones disc with only a great picture and great sound to go with it.
Old 09-11-05, 11:53 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz
...and I heard that Nolan's commentary on Memento was underwhelming.
I really like Nolan's commentary on Memento, and just picked up Insomnia used specifically because it had his commentary. Anyway, I'm disappointed not to hear his thoughts on Batman Begins. A Nolan-Bale commentary would have made it a must-buy for me.
Old 09-11-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by marty888
Commentary is my favorite feature and I make it a point to listen to every track on every disc (which is, I guess, why I'm far behind on my list). Some are fantastic, and some are an absolute waste of time.
Old 09-11-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smirnoffski
Let's not forget classic films that sometimes get great commentaries from film scholars. Most of those can be entertaining and very educational at the same time.
I LOVE those!

A good commentary is my favorite extra feature.
Old 09-11-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can do without them, they’re just bloat. I buy a DVD for the movie, not to listen to people talk about the movie while I’m trying to watch and listen to the actors.

Maybe they should start releasing two versions of DVDs, one with the commentaries and one without for like $5 cheaper than a bloated version.
Old 09-11-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate commentaries on new films; everything's been covered online or in magazines.

I leave listening to commentaries for older films.
Old 09-11-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never like commentaries. I'd rather watch a new film (I have literally hundreds I want to watch but haven't) than re-watch one I like just listening to a commentary.
Old 09-11-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tazwolff
I can do without them, they’re just bloat.

I strongly disagree. Have you ever actually listened to a commentary track? Certainly not a good one.
Old 09-11-05, 11:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by critterdvd
But looking at the specs for the 3 biggest DVD's from the Summer Blockbuster season ("War of the Worlds," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," and "Batman Begins") and none of them have commentaries!
I only buy films with commentaries, so that's three "No Sales" for me.

Nice of them to make it so easy to not buy their products.
Old 09-12-05, 12:10 AM

The Onion's AV Club column Commentary Tracks of the Damned made me realize just how prevalent commentaries are. I still like 'em though.
Old 09-12-05, 01:18 AM

Commentaries used to be my favorite feature, but now I never listen to them. Favorite directors, favorite movies...it just doesn't matter. I've heard enough, I'd rather just watch the movie. When there is a group of funny people, it's usually entertaining, but I could live without it.

In fact, there aren't any special features that I check for anymore. I've seen enough making-of docs and cast interviews to last a lifetime, and deleted scenes are usually deleted for a good reason.

Actually I do enjoy watching outtakes with funny people, but that's about it.
Old 09-12-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UAIOE
I think the problem is that alot of people don't know how to do a *GOOD* commentary.

Alot of the times i feel some people do a commentary just to "do" one and they don't really put anything into it.

I'd rather have no commentary instead of a shitty and boring one.
Completely agree with you! I just finished watching The Dead Zone season one, and I'm dreading the commentaries (on ALL the episodes) for fear that they'll be uninteresting, especially by the end. I really like commentaries, but 90% of the time I just put them on while cleaning or doing something else and only half pay attention to them. I'd say a majority of them are fairly dull.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.