Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Rear Speaker Type/Placement Questions. (Please help...and be easy on me...)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id like to lay some background info, if i could.

1. Sorry the house is a mess.....

2. I have a 5.1 system, and a small square room (approx 12x12).

I attached 2 pictures of my seating area (sorry its a mess...theres lots of laundry in the hall). I need some advice from you guys here as to my surround options.

Should I go with direct speakers, since the couch is on the back wall, or some dipole speakers? I am unfortunately in a smaller room than I was, and have Paradigm Monitor 11 V.2 as my mains, and the CC-350. Should I go with the matching ADPs (dipoles)? Where would I put them? Side wall, back wall? When I am watching TV, the Rounders poster is obviously to my left, and the Gary Carter poster and unfortunate doorframe to the right.

So, direct, dipole....and where? Wiring is not a problem for me....easy to do.

Any ideas would be great....tell me what you guys would do.

Pictures...

Picture 1

Picture 2
Old 09-08-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I like monopoles. But many like dipoles, esp with a room like yours with a close back wall. Either way, the location of the posters is probably the ideal location for the speakers, as well. If I had that room, and wanted the posters right there, I'd probably try the speakers up above them angled down towards the couch a bit.

As for the mono/dipole preference, you'll have to listen to really decide which you like.

Matching speakers is always better than not, makes for smoother transitions in the sound.
Old 09-08-05, 11:11 AM

Nah, the posters will be moved.......

I just turned the room 90 degrees, basically.....the TV and stuff is on a different wall now.....light problems...

Yeah, I would either go with the Paradigm ADPs, or the new "On-wall" Mini Monitors for Surrounds---theyre pretty cool...meant for Plasma sets...
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-08-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like the sound from the paradigms and plan on upgrading to them from my Onkyos in the next year or so. It is hard to recommend a speaker because everyones taste preference is a little different. Ask the paradigm dealer if you could try one set and switch them if you don't like the sound. Most dealers are pretty good about this, or at least the dealer in my town is. I would however start with the dipoles in a room that size. For placement I agree with Spiky, put them where the posters are (or very close).