Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The cave

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cave

I didn't find a thread on this already when I searched, and I can't believe I'm the only sucker who went and saw this movie.. Then again, maybe people are smarter then me and avoided this stinker.

Just curious of thoughts on this movie, and better yet I had a questionI needed some insight into:

Spoiler:

What were the letters on the beasts suppose to stand for/represent? Unless I missed this when I went to the bathroom they didn't explain and it was focused on by the camera multiple times. I believe they were W.W.S.P. or something like that (was I imagining that?!?)

Overall I thought the movie was medicore at best, and had one of the worst endings I have seen in sometime. Also, the acting was really, really bad, but did find it somewhat enjoyable as a time waster, and being a fan for movies set in similiar setups such as Abyss etc.

I would say I would not see it again, and only saw it in the first place, because it was the only movie showing when I happened to walk by the theatre today.. Def a rental for those yet to see it.
Old 09-07-05, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
I didn't find a thread on this already when I searched, and I can't believe I'm the only sucker who went and saw this movie.. Then again, maybe people are smarter then me and avoided this stinker.

Just curious of thoughts on this movie, and better yet I had a questionI needed some insight into:

Spoiler:

What were the letters on the beasts suppose to stand for/represent? Unless I missed this when I went to the bathroom they didn't explain and it was focused on by the camera multiple times. I believe they were W.W.S.P. or something like that (was I imagining that?!?)

Overall I thought the movie was medicore at best, and had one of the worst endings I have seen in sometime. Also, the acting was really, really bad, but did find it somewhat enjoyable as a time waster, and being a fan for movies set in similiar setups such as Abyss etc.

I would say I would not see it again, and only saw it in the first place, because it was the only movie showing when I happened to walk by the theatre today.. Def a rental for those yet to see it.
Spoiler:
In the beginning of the movie, one of the original cave explorers had that same tattoo on his hand. Just a clue (rather obvious) that the humans had evolved into the creature

I did see this and for what it was, I enjoyed it. It was a straight up B monster movie. B-movies used to be shown Saturday afternoons on the low power station, but now thet're decently budgeted flicks that are released into theater. They aren't any better, the graphics and locations are just nicer.

I'll file this one next to Anacondas (yes, the sequal) as movies that delivered exactly what they were supposed to, no fills Saturday afternoon B-level entertainment.
Old 09-07-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
Spoiler:
In the beginning of the movie, one of the original cave explorers had that same tattoo on his hand. Just a clue (rather obvious) that the humans had evolved into the creature

I did see this and for what it was, I enjoyed it. It was a straight up B monster movie. B-movies used to be shown Saturday afternoons on the low power station, but now thet're decently budgeted flicks that are released into theater. They aren't any better, the graphics and locations are just nicer.

I'll file this one next to Anacondas (yes, the sequal) as movies that delivered exactly what they were supposed to, no fills Saturday afternoon B-level entertainment.
Spoiler:

Ah.. Thanks. I got to the movie late and didn't even catch the first group of explorers.

I agree. It's pretty entertaining for what it is..
Old 09-11-05, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought this was a pretty good movie. good is pushing it a bit really, but i thought it would suck hard. i'm just a sucker for that kind of "send in the second team to find out what happened to the first team" kinda thing, even though that isn't actually the case, the trailer is a bit misleading there. i expected Pitch Black in a cave, didn't help with the same actor guy and that scene in the trailer that isn't in the actual movie. the ending was really stupid, but atleast it wasn't a, "yah we made it!" cue credits.
also found the acting be pretty decent. offhand i can't think of any cringe inducing lines. the sets were cool and i like caves and am fascinated by underwater caves. so perhaps that allowed me to like the movie more.

i liked that there was a slow build up for the most part. other films of such nature might spend a two minute montage explaining the first group, instead there was a bit of a build up. not much, but it lasted a whole lot longer than i would of thought, so that was nice. i also liked that when the movie started there was a different life theatening situation for the group to deal with, and be motivated by, then walk in cave, monster attack! and stick around for the next 2 hours.

on a side note, i saw it tonight (saturday) at 9:30. including my date & i, the theater was packed with 5 people!
Old 07-07-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, I guess nobody saw this during release OR on DVD. It was okay, and I did like the fact that the creatures weren't just there, they had an actual origin. Cole Hauser is as wooden an actor as I've seen, but I guess he does make a credible action movie hero. The sets and diving scenes were well done too.
Old 07-07-06, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked this one. Granted, expectations were as low as they could be, but it was fairly entertaining.
Old 07-07-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I suggest you guys see The Descent; it totally blows this away. If your region free it's already available on DVD in R2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/
Old 07-07-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
I suggest you guys see The Descent; it totally blows this away. If your region free it's already available on DVD in R2.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/

I've got to agree. The Cave was a decent movie but The Descent is excellent.
Old 07-07-06, 09:20 PM
Cool New Member

The descent is a better movie to me too! Just download the movie off the internet.
Old 07-07-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Originally Posted by stc9357
Just download the movie off the internet.
You might want to avoid making such suggestions on these forums.
Old 07-07-06, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
The Descent had it's Canadian premiere yesterday at the Fantasia Film Fest in Montreal. It opens nationwide on August 4th. I assume it will be released in the US around that time as well.
Old 07-07-06, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yup, Due August 4th in the US as well. The full trailer has aired on NBC late night several times.
Old 07-08-06, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
I saw this a while back, but can't remember my reactions. I checked my Netflix rating, and gave it a 3/5. Judging from that, I didn't like it, and I didn't hate it.