Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lost and OAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost and OAR

Last night, I only watched a few minutes of the Lost pilot episode, because I knew I'd be exchanging my set due to a scratched disc. I knew it would be in an anamorphic widescreen format, and that doesn't really bother me any.

But, just as much as we have widescreen purists here - and I'm among them - we also have the original aspect ratio crowd - who say OAR is really even more important than widescreen.

The reviews of Lost seem to like the fact it's presented in widescreen on the DVD set. BUT, that's not the way it aired, so it's not the OAR as presented on TV.

So what happened? Was it filmed in the widescreen ratio, and blown up to fill the TV screen? Or was it filmed full-frame, and are we therefore missing some stuff on the DVD? Has anyone done any screen comparisons?

If it was shown full-frame on TV, shouldn't it be full-frame on the DVD?
Old 09-07-05, 03:17 PM

its shown widescreen in HD (1.78:1). the SD feeds are cropped WS versions AFAIK.
Old 09-07-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime

The reviews of Lost seem to like the fact it's presented in widescreen on the DVD set. BUT, that's not the way it aired, so it's not the OAR as presented on TV.
It is most certainly the way it aired. It was broadcast in anamorphic widescreen HD weekly since the pilot aired last September. It looked fantastic, BTW. You have to receive an HD signal & have an HD receiver to see it though.
Old 09-07-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts
Like most network primetime dramas, Lost aired simultaneously in 4:3 on the standard-definition feed and 16:9 on the network's HDTV channel. Shows like this are composed for both ratios, with the 4:3 version being a center-extraction from the middle of the 16:9 frame.

The show's producers favor the 16:9 framing, and that is what they've given us on DVD.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It was broadcast in anamorphic widescreen HD weekly since the pilot aired last September.
Just a nit-pick, but HDTV isn't "anamorphic". High-Definition is natively 16:9 and requires no enhancement for widescreen. DVDs, on the other hand, are natively 4:3, with widescreen discs enhanced for better resolution when played at 16:9.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-07-05 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the past 4 or 5 years now networks have been doing this... I believe "Alias" was one of the first to take advantage of the technology. HD has become extremly popular in the past couple of years, that is why some shows are only shown in letterbox (like "angel" was) to make people think its HD.
Old 09-07-05, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't think Angel was shown in WS to fool people into thinking it was HD...
Old 09-07-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,890 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
HD has become extremly popular in the past couple of years, that is why some shows are only shown in letterbox (like "angel" was) to make people think its HD.
Has nothing to do with pretending to be HD -- the letterboxing was an attempt to make Angel look more cinematic, and the fifth season actually did air in HD.
Old 09-07-05, 04:48 PM

Well, I guess since I don't have an HDTV, I never knew any of this. Thanks for the info all.
Old 09-07-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
acutually ER was the first mainstream show to air in widescreen, and tv guide ran an article that complained that the screen was too small.
Old 09-07-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive heard that Lost was shot with the intention of being shown in 16:9 for HD and SD, but ABC balked at the idea of having a show that didnt fill the screen, so it was basically "pan and scanned" rather than center-cropped like most 16:9->4:3 conversions.

On TvshowsonDVD.com, its really annoying when you see the list of alterations for a show and it has something like "not presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio"...geez, every scripted show except for maybe 2 or 3 on network TV is 16:9 HD now.

Last edited by ENDContra; 09-07-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ENDContra
Ive heard that Lost was shot with the intention of being shown in 16:9 for HD and SD, but ABC balked at the idea of having a show that didnt fill the screen, so it was basically "pan and scanned" rather than center-cropped like most 16:9->4:3 conversions.

On TvshowsonDVD.com, its really annoying when you see the list of alterations for a show and it has something like "not presented in its original 4:3 aspect ratio"...geez, every scripted show except for maybe 2 or 3 on network TV is 16:9 HD now.
To defend tvshowsondvd a little, they were letting any user post information, but there was so mych wrong they stopped that. Or at least that is what i vaguely remember from one of their news updates.

I also agree with what someone else said, if it is on in primetime, it is almost assuredly 16:9 HD at this point. A few reality shows are not, but pretty much any drama or sitcom is. The cartoon based stuff on Fox being the only real exception I can think of right now.
Old 09-07-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by speedyray
To defend tvshowsondvd a little, they were letting any user post information, but there was so mych wrong they stopped that. Or at least that is what i vaguely remember from one of their news updates.

I also agree with what someone else said, if it is on in primetime, it is almost assuredly 16:9 HD at this point. A few reality shows are not, but pretty much any drama or sitcom is. The cartoon based stuff on Fox being the only real exception I can think of right now.
Except for Scrubs. NBC bastards!
Old 09-08-05, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw "Lost" in HD first, then I started watching it on my family's 4:3 screen. After watching the 16x9 version, I always thought the cropping of "Lost" was awkward. I know, it's only me who probably notices. But, it's one of those shows where you can tell it's meant to be 16x9.

By the way, is there any show in the BIG 4 networks which are shown in letterbox for 4:3 screens, like how HBO does it with "The Sopranos?"
Old 09-08-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, is there any show in the BIG 4 networks which are shown in letterbox for 4:3 screens, like how HBO does it with "The Sopranos?"
The Office
Old 09-08-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For what it's worth, the DVD screeners of the "Lost" pilot episode that were sent to TV reviewers more than a year ago were widescreen, too. That shows that the creators intended it to be that way all along. Few shows, even the ones currently broadcast in dual WS/FS presentations, are presented widescreen to critics unless that is what the creators specifically want.
Old 09-08-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jarofclay73
ER, West Wing, probably a few others...
Old 09-08-05, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Isn't Conan letterboxed now too?
Old 09-08-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
they just started broadcasting in HD, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the standard signal is letterboxed.
Old 09-08-05, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
yeah Conan has been letterboxed on my TV for awhile now, and I don't have HDTV.
Old 09-08-05, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It only airs in 16x9 here in the UK.