Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Turning the ignition with the car already running?

Save Ferris
09-07-05, 10:51 AM
Ok say you let some rather clueless person drive your car and they turn the key with the engine running. What kind of damage does that do?

johnglass
09-07-05, 10:59 AM
I think it will damage the starter if you do it long enough.

And I've been that clueless person on more than one occasion. :(

Otto
09-07-05, 11:05 AM
It'll damage the starter motor if it happens too often.

Or, on most modern computer controlled cars, it'll do nothing at all, since the starter won't engage if the engine is already running.

Numanoid
09-07-05, 11:05 AM
What do you mean damage? How else do you check to see if the car is already running?

PrincessT
09-07-05, 11:27 AM
Try pressing the accelerator to see if the car is running. Duh :)

Unfortunately, I do that a couple times a year. Brain farts. What can I say? The car has been doing fine since 1999, so I'd say from experience, the rare slip-up won't kill the starter. Just try not to do it too often.

talemyn
09-07-05, 11:34 AM
And I've been that clueless person on more than one occasion. :(Pfc. Garlick, is that you???

Tori 1
09-07-05, 11:35 AM
I've done on more than one occassion.

Joe Molotov
09-07-05, 11:41 AM
I admit I've done it a few time too. My truck's still running though.

Save Ferris
09-07-05, 11:43 AM
thats a relief, thanks!

Green Jello
09-07-05, 12:05 PM
Pfc. Garlick, is that you???

It's a simple rule. If the engine's humming,.....it's already started.

Phil L.
09-07-05, 12:05 PM

:lol: First thing I thought of too.

Phil L.
09-07-05, 12:07 PM
How else do you check to see if the car is already running?

Check the tach. If it's on zero the car is not running.

victant
09-08-05, 05:15 AM
I did this for the first time since I've started driving almost 15 years ago. I totally felt like crap afterwards.... :(

kantonburg
09-08-05, 09:01 AM
Check the tach. If it's on zero the car is not running.

Not all cars have a tach.

twikoff
09-08-05, 10:08 AM
i do it on purpose, because i like the sound :up:

zekeburger1979
09-08-05, 10:37 AM
My friend who has a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville, can take his keys out of the ignition while the car is running and it won't shut off.

Otto
09-08-05, 01:14 PM
My friend who has a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville, can take his keys out of the ignition while the car is running and it won't shut off.
Two ways to do this:
1. Broken ignition lock. The keys aren't supposed to come out with the car in run, but the locking mechanism to hold the key in there can break and the key will then slide right out.
2. Some alarms or auto car starter systems have this as a feature. You actually shut off the ignition and pull the key out and the car can continue to run. Generally called "Quick Stop" mode. Usually you have to press a button on the remote before turning the ignition off, and usually this comes with an interlock to prevent the engine going above idle or to prevent the gear shifter from working without the key in the lock. It also usually has a timer to turn off the engine after some amount of time anyway, in case you get delayed.

twikoff
09-08-05, 02:29 PM

my sister's old old camry (late 80s) had this *feature* too ;)
should be be driving down the road.. take a sharp turn
and the keys would fall out onto the floor :lol:

BigPete
09-08-05, 07:46 PM
Two ways to do this:
1. Broken ignition lock. The keys aren't supposed to come out with the car in run, but the locking mechanism to hold the key in there can break and the key will then slide right out.
2. Some alarms or auto car starter systems have this as a feature. You actually shut off the ignition and pull the key out and the car can continue to run. Generally called "Quick Stop" mode. Usually you have to press a button on the remote before turning the ignition off, and usually this comes with an interlock to prevent the engine going above idle or to prevent the gear shifter from working without the key in the lock. It also usually has a timer to turn off the engine after some amount of time anyway, in case you get delayed.

3. Cars with aftermarket turbos usually have this feature to allow the turbo to cool down.

garolo
09-08-05, 07:49 PM
rotfl

I just did it today at the after filling up my brand new Accord. A $50 fill up. :mad:

I couldn't even feel the engine running like I could with my Taurus.

The Bus
09-08-05, 07:49 PM
No damage to the starter. Just an awful sound.

MJKTool
09-08-05, 07:52 PM
rotfl

I just did it today at the after filling up my brand new Accord. A $50 fill up. :mad:

I couldn't even feel the engine running like I could with my Taurus.

you fill your car with gas while its running?

garolo
09-08-05, 08:08 PM
you fill your car with gas while its running?

Nah, I started it up to listen to my new XM radio while waited for the guy to come back with the CC slip to sign. After signing it and putting my wallet back in my pocket I "started" it back up again.

Kumar J
09-08-05, 10:09 PM
New cars wont use keys to start the cars,just to open the doors.And you just push the on button to start the car.The buttons are iluminated so that you will know you have pushed it already.So cars are so damn silent these days you do make the mistake like that

devilshalo
09-09-05, 03:44 AM
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3751/good017rd.jpg

zekeburger1979
09-12-05, 01:43 AM
I should have clarified my post in saying that my friend can take his keys out of the ignition with the engine running and still be able to drive. Weird thing is, a girl we went to high school with, used to be able to do the same thing and she also had a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville.

mndtrp
09-12-05, 01:54 AM
I should have clarified my post in saying that my friend can take his keys out of the ignition with the engine running and still be able to drive. Weird thing is, a girl we went to high school with, used to be able to do the same thing and she also had a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville.
I could do that with my 1989 Thunderbird. I'm not sure why it did that, but my buddy said several cars used to. I thought it was great, because I could start my car in winter, and lock the car to go back inside.