Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Can you play psp movie discs on a regular dvd player

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-05, 09:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you play psp movie discs on a regular dvd player

Just wondering I was thinking of picking a couple of them up.
Old 09-06-05, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope. discs are too small, need a psp/.
Old 09-06-05, 10:11 PM

*scratchin head* No I heard that dvds can play on a psp tho with a converter
Old 09-06-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
If you rip it into a file small enough for the Memory Stick, then yes you can watch a DVD on the PSP.

A UMD will not play on a DVD player though.
Old 09-06-05, 11:07 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I believe in the future UMD standalone players will be available...
Old 09-07-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they would have to create a SMALL UMD player then. There is no way you could watch a UMD on a 55" HDTV. I think the quality would just suffer. That is why there is no video-out on the PSP.

As for now, UMD's ONLY play in PSP.
You can rip a DVD to a memory stick, to play on a PSP.
Old 09-07-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I think they would have to create a SMALL UMD player then. There is no way you could watch a UMD on a 55" HDTV. I think the quality would just suffer. That is why there is no video-out on the PSP.
Correct on all three points. The only things the UMDs and DVDs have in common is that they are both read by a laser. There couldn't be an "adapter" to play UMDs on a DVD player, it would have to involve a stand alone player. And yes, the quality would look terrible on a large TV. That's why Sony could squeeze a large movie on such a small disc, when you are only watching it on a very small screen, actual video quality doesn't have to be nearly as good. Sony knew this and that's why they didn't include a video out on the PSP.
Old 09-07-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would you want to?
Old 09-07-05, 09:08 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Most likely protable viewing? Imagine, a cheaper (than the PSP) UMD player... that way, UMD starts going out to more people than just those with PSPs. The UMDs are already selling well, just imagine...
Old 09-07-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It looks like you may be able to do something like this soon via an unofficial adapter, although I have to say those mockups don't instill me with confidence.

As for the question of quality, my understanding is that UMD movies are actually encoded at a much higher resolution than the PSP screen -- the PSP screen is 480x272, but UMD movies are 720x480, same as a DVD. Presumably the use of MPEG4 and the lack of special features on most UMDs allows them to fit the movies on a 1.8GB disc.
Old 09-08-05, 11:07 AM

Not being a gamer, I'll never own a PSP (I had no idea what PSP meant, I had to look it up) but the UMD spec is interesting for me. A little research reveals it won't be an alternative movie medium for me. Much higher compression and the same price as a DVD means that a theoretical player that outputs the full 720X480 cannot duplicate the quality I already have on my current system. It may have appeal for portable media, but I can't see duplicating my movies in two formats. If you could rip a UMD from a DVD you already own, for your own personal use of course, then there might be possiblities; but I don't see the media moguls allowing this any more than any other personal duplicating. My next upgrade will be to whichever HD format wins. No more early adopting for me. I've got two very nice HD capable tvs, neither of which are DVI or HDMI compatible...strictly component in. Oops, that's another discussion .

Phil
Old 09-08-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jrobinson
Most likely protable viewing? Imagine, a cheaper (than the PSP) UMD player... that way, UMD starts going out to more people than just those with PSPs. The UMDs are already selling well, just imagine...
Why? Portable DVD players can be had already more cheaply than the PSP. And you can just play the DVD you already have, and see it on a bigger screen. You don't have to buy a separate UMD just to have a portable movie.
Old 09-08-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I can still see them putting out like $100 player for UMD's that is the same size as a PSP. Do I thik it's smart...nope, but who knows.

Or, they can just say screw it...and if people want to watch UMD's, buy a PSP.

Yes, there is no REAL point in a UMD player though. Portable DVD players are cheaper and BIGGER. UMD's are just smaller (disc size).
Old 09-08-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to mention that UMDs are severly lacking in special features. Yeah, they'll put on 3 extra language tracks on for a movie, but no commentary. And they're twice the cost of a DVD.