Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Your results with MS Anti-Spyware program?

buffotoad
09-05-05, 03:23 PM
I have been comparing MS Anti-Spyware, Spybot, and Ad-Aware for over a month. All three are kept up to date. I don't delete the bad items each finds until after I run all three so that I can see what each one is finding. Here are my results for this week:

MS Anti-Spyware is run in real time mode and I also run a full system scan once a week. It has never detected anything on my system.

I run a SpyBot scan once a week. It usually finds things. This was a typical week and it found 14 tracking cookies and 3 registry changes.

I run an Ad-Aware scan once a week. It usually finds things. This week was a typical week and it found 37 tracking cookies.

I can understand that they would find different items, but MS Anti-Spyware doesn't ever find anything. It seems like I read a lot of positive comments about it, but I haven't seen it do anything yet. Am I wasting computer cycles running it in real time mode, and wasting my time running its scans?

Thanks for any comments.

Michael Corvin
09-05-05, 10:19 PM
I've read/heard nothing but good things about MS as well. It never finds anything on my system either while ad-aware always does.

JM
09-05-05, 10:39 PM
MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them. Rest assured, if you get a serious threat on your PC, MS Anti-Spyware will likely detect it. Ad-aware tends to find a lot of stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, such as tracking cookies. Almost every PC will have them unless cookies are turned off all together (which is not worth it IMO), and I don't consider such a PC to be infested. It makes Ad-aware look like it is doing something though (when in reality it has fallen behind in this game).

fumanstan
09-05-05, 10:52 PM
MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them. Rest assured, if you get a serious threat on your PC, MS Anti-Spyware will likely detect it. Ad-aware tends to find a lot of stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, such as tracking cookies. Almost every PC will have them unless cookies are turned off all together (which is not worth it IMO), and I don't consider such a PC to be infested. It makes Ad-aware look like it is doing something though (when in reality it has fallen behind in this game).

Strong agreement.

mndtrp
09-06-05, 12:57 AM
When I first used MS Anti-spyware, it found several things that Adaware and Spybot didn't. It never found anything again. Spybot and Adaware continually find things, and not always just cookies.

I think MS works in realtime, and that is pretty cool. The more defenses the better.

Groucho
09-06-05, 01:09 AM
I ran Ad Aware, it found a few things. I cleaned them.

I then ran Spy Bot, it found some more things. I cleaned them.

I then ran MS Spyware, and it found nothing? Obviously, it sucks.

Easy
09-06-05, 11:44 AM
MS Anti-Spyware has found alot of things on PCs I have cleaned for people that other programs did not. The things you are listing above (tracking cookies and registry changes) are not spyware to begin with, and it does not seem to target them.

Well, everyone thinks they're spyware except you and Microsoft. Just google "tracking cookie". http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/browse.aspx?cat=Tracking%20Cookie
I'll take your word they do great at other problems but I think they missed the boat here.

Otto
09-06-05, 12:05 PM
Well, everyone thinks they're spyware except you and Microsoft. Just google "tracking cookie". http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/browse.aspx?cat=Tracking%20Cookie
I'll take your word they do great at other problems but I think they missed the boat here.
A cookie isn't "spyware" because it isn't actually any kind of "-ware" at all. It doesn't contain executable code, it doesn't run anything. At best, it tells some advertiser that you visited a couple of different sites, but they already know that because they have to have an ad on those sites in the first place. The information they get from tracking you from one site to another isn't particularly useful to an advertiser. And anyway, unless you're uber-paranoid and imagining vast conspiracies, there's no real way that such info could be used against you.

Secondly, if you use Firefox, then set it to block "Third-party Cookies" and the problem disappears entirely. You can also do this in the latest IE, by setting the Privacy slider to Medium or higher (the default is medium). The cookie may get set, but it won't be sent back to the advertisers.

The point here is that modern browsers already block "tracking cookies" anyway, and calling them spyware was a stretch to begin with.

That said, MS anti-spyware works pretty well for me. It's caught a few things in real time, which is nice. Mostly Java stuff. Occassionally I run spybot, but it never picks up anything other than cookies, which are not a real concern.

zuffy
09-06-05, 12:33 PM
I have had good results with it.

BigDave
09-06-05, 12:52 PM
I've been using MS Anti-Spyware for quite some time and have been pleased with it.

The one thing I like about it is the scheduled system scan. Many of my users have Spybot & Ad-Aware, but always forget to scan. These are the users that are usually my problem children, so the scheduled scans works great for them.

I can't wait for MS Anti-Spyware to be centrally controlled in AD environment. I've been using Symantec Anti-Virus Corporate, but its spyware scanning isn't as good as the above mentioned apps.