Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pulp Fiction: Is Vincent Vega gay?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

The very first time we meet Vincent Vega, the entire scene shows only the right side of his face. I just noticed his right ear is pierced. His left ear, as I saw in later scenes, is not. Only his right. A guy who has only his right ear pierced often does so as a subtle hint that he's gay. Is he gay? I'm watching the movie, now (That's what got me going on this subject) and if I remember, we never really hear much about Vincent involved with any women. He takes Mia out but he seems really not interested.

So... what do you think? (I searched and found no thread on the topicl. I even searched Google to no avail)
Old 09-04-05, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very well may be, Quentin likes throwing things like that into his movies. Now TRAVOLTA on the other hand is a hands down answer
Old 09-04-05, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I think you're nuts.

That's the goofiest movie theory since "ghost boy" in Three Men & A Baby.
Old 09-04-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What about that whole speech to himself in the mirror at Mia's place? About going home and jerking off? That seems like a guy who is sexually frustrated by being with a hot woman he can't touch.
Old 09-04-05, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an interesting theory. Why did Marcellus chose Vincent to watch his wife and not Jules? After all, Vincent can dance really well.
Old 09-04-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FinkPish
What about that whole speech to himself in the mirror at Mia's place? About going home and jerking off? That seems like a guy who is sexually frustrated by being with a hot woman he can't touch.
Maybe he's thinking about Marcellus...
Old 09-05-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think art needs to join this conversation.

"I want to see more Vincent/Jules action in my Pulp Fiction"
Old 09-05-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I don't think Vincent's gay.

The scene in front of the mirror is the first indicator of hetero-frustration as posted above. Just b/c someone has their ear pierced in the right ear doesn't mean anything.

And John Travolta is not gay--- he has got one heck of a hot wife in fact.
Old 09-05-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When Vincent goes to Lance to buy the smack, he's asked if he wants to stay and party and is told that one of the chicks is single. He asks which one. That and the whole drink your drink, go home and jerk-off line, I seriously doubt that he's gay.
Old 09-05-05, 01:49 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Er, not to mention the hundreds of footmassages he's given to hundreds of women. Every one of those meant something to him.
Old 09-05-05, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone is looking too deeply into a film.
Old 09-05-05, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
A guy who has only his right ear pierced often does so as a subtle hint that he's gay.
Was that true for guys living in Amsterdam in the early 1990s?
Old 09-05-05, 06:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by shaun3000
A guy who has only his right ear pierced often does so as a subtle hint that he's gay.
Looks like someone took the "left is right, right is wrong" saying a little too far.

Couple of questions for you:

1) what does it matter?

2) how old are you?

3) where are you from?

oh wait...texas. Makes sense now.
Old 09-05-05, 09:38 AM

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,126 Posts
Whoah. I don't think shaun3000 is displaying homophobic tendencies, whatsoever. He noticed something and is trying to confirm if other people agree. I don't agree, but I don't think he's offensive for testing the theory. While I'm sure the GLBT community would appreciate people running to their rescue, I really don't think it necessary here.

As for "looking too deeply into a film," that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, given which film we're talking about, let alone the one thing we're supposed to do with films.
Old 09-05-05, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Whoah. I don't think shaun3000 is displaying homophobic tendencies, whatsoever. He noticed something and is trying to confirm if other people agree. I don't agree, but I don't think he's offensive for testing the theory. While I'm sure the GLBT community would appreciate people running to their rescue, I really don't think it necessary here.

are you talking about me?
Old 09-05-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

are you talking about me?
Did you just turn into into Travis Bickle, digi?
Old 09-05-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Uh, it's very simple kids; Mia belongs to Marcellus, Marcellus is Vincent's boss, Vincent wants to f*** Mia but he knows that if he does he's a dead man.

He stands in front of the mirror talking to himself (now, listen to the dialouge) to make sure he doesn't make his move so he walks out of the bathroom and immediately says "Mia, I'm leaving now"

Big spoiler: If you acutally watched the movie you would understand all of this as it happens - crazy I know.
Old 09-05-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Looks like someone took the "left is right, right is wrong" saying a little too far.

Couple of questions for you:

1) what does it matter?
It doesn't, just wondering. As glassdragon said, Quentin loves to throw in little things like that.
2) how old are you?
I hardly see how that matters, but 22...
3) where are you from?
Dallas, 2nd largest gay community in the US behind San Fran.

I could care less, I was just wondering if the ear thing meant anything. In Amsterdam in early 90s, it very well may have not meant anything. But, as has already been said, Quentin loves tiny details that don't matter to the plot or story and aren't really obvious unless you happen to notice them. But it looks like this one isn't. Unless he is really, really in the closet. (but... look at that big ol' warm hug he give Marcellus in the bar. Hrm... )
Old 09-05-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't care less...
Fixed.

But, as has already been said, Quentin loves tiny details that don't matter to the plot or story and aren't really obvious unless you happen to notice them. But it looks like this one isn't. Unless he is really, really in the closet. (but... look at that big ol' warm hug he give Marcellus in the bar. Hrm... )
Oh my god...you are nuts.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 09-05-05 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-05-05, 12:41 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think so, as he wanted to bang Mia
Old 09-05-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

No, I don't think he's gay.
Old 09-05-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts
Originally Posted by Flynn
I don't know if he is or isn't, but I wouldn't use a Hollywood actor/actresses spouse as an indicator of whether he/she is gay or not.

There are plenty of gay actors/actresses in Hollywood who are married to the opposite sex.
Old 09-05-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11
Uh, it's very simple kids; Mia belongs to Marcellus, Marcellus is Vincent's boss, Vincent wants to f*** Mia but he knows that if he does he's a dead man.

He stands in front of the mirror talking to himself (now, listen to the dialouge) to make sure he doesn't make his move so he walks out of the bathroom and immediately says "Mia, I'm leaving now"

Big spoiler: If you acutally watched the movie you would understand all of this as it happens - crazy I know.
No kidding. I'm not sure how anyone could have actually watched Pulp Fiction and think Vincent is gay. Did you miss the...well...entire Mia Wallace segment? That whole scene was dripping with tension between the two characters and Tarantino wasn't trying to hide what these two wanted to do with each other (right down to Vincent's not so subtle talk to himself in hte bathroom). I mean, Vincent wasn't interested in Mia Wallace? He was very interested...they clicked at dinner, and there's no doubt at all he wanted to fuck her rotten...and her him too I'd say.
Old 09-05-05, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11

Yeah, this guy either has never seen the movie, or hasn't seen it since opening day.
Old 09-06-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Flynn

was a joke man

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.