Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Problems Playing DVDs on PS2 with New LCD TV

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently upgraded my bedroom TV from a 13" TV/VCR combo to a 26" Sharp Aquos LCD. I plugged in my PS2 with component tables and found that there was some vertical "banding" in the images, like so:

However, PS2 games did NOT have this problem:

Here are the different troubleshooting steps I took:

• Checked using two different component cables, one from Sony, one from Monster
  • Used both inputs in the TV
  • Played around with the 4:3 / Full / 16:9 Settings on the PS2 and the set
  • Adjusted brightness / contrast / playback on the LCD
  • Upgraded the PS2's DVD firmware to whatever version came with the remote I got
  • Checked different DVDs, all had same issue

Now, I've done due dilligence by searching Google, Sony's website, and Sharp's website, and I'm coming up empty. What do you guys suggest for me to do or look at?

Eventually, this will be a non-issue, as I plan to buy DVD player for this TV, but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to see movies without being so distracted by this banding. Again, the games look excellent. The problem is with the DVD playback. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-05, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm... I have my PS2 plugged into my Sony 23" LCD using the PS2 Component Cables and am I having no issues with it - playing games or movies. Are you using progressive scan?
Old 09-05-05, 10:43 AM

I am having a simialr problem with my Sharp 32" Aquos. When I play my Xbox all the fonts on the games are really blurry. Does anyone have this problem? I am connected to the TV via the RCAs.
Old 09-05-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chip: My guess is in your case it is because you are connected with the RCAs. I know on my big screen TV the Xbox looks awful when not using component cables.

josh: Where is there a progressive scan option on the PS2? The Aquos says the image from the PS2 is 480p, so my guess is yes, but it seems odd to me that this is only in DVD playback.
Old 09-08-05, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
josh: Where is there a progressive scan option on the PS2? The Aquos says the image from the PS2 is 480p, so my guess is yes, but it seems odd to me that this is only in DVD playback.
Its in the options menu. It only can be done when the DVD is stopped (you will have to press the Stop button twice). But if the Sharp is saying you are outputting in 480p, it must already be in Progressive mode. Try taking it off progressive and see if that solves your problem.
Old 09-13-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

*bump*

Saw no option for progressive in the menu options. Just 4:3, 16:9 or Full...
Old 09-14-05, 03:24 AM

I believe only the newer PS2s had the progressive functions. It had to be a 5001-series PS2 or a Slim PS2. On mine the option is on the same menu as the one with screen resolution. I use my PS2 as my primary DVD player for now, and use Mad Catz component cables... no problems so far.
Old 09-14-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Switched to composite cables and the problem is gone. Will have to use those cables until it's time to get a standalone DVD player.