Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : WHY won't this cable work?

DVD Josh
09-03-05, 09:06 PM
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10235&cs_id=1023503&p_id=2174&seq=1&format=2&style=

The above cable looks like a VGA to Component. I'd like to be able to hook this up from my video card to my TV. But although the purposes listed seem to suggest this would work, the disclaimer written on the page also suggests the oppositie. If this won't work for what I want, what the heck would you use this for?

X
09-03-05, 09:13 PM
You can't just use a wire to convert VGA to component. You need a video card that can output component via its VGA port and then you can use that cable.

I suppose it replaces the "dongle" that ATI has for its cards. When ATI cards see the dongle they change their output signal from VGA to component. But I don't know if it would be recognized by ATI cards the same way the dongle is.

DVD Josh
09-03-05, 09:34 PM
You can't just use a wire to convert VGA to component. You need a video card that can output component via its VGA port and then you can use that cable.

I suppose it replaces the "dongle" that ATI has for its cards. When ATI cards see the dongle they change their output signal from VGA to component. But I don't know if it would be recognized by ATI cards the same way the dongle is.

Can you recommend a card that will do what I want to do?

X
09-03-05, 09:37 PM
I know the ATI 8500 and 9xxx lines do, but as far as I know you need the dongle. I haven't kept up on their newer ones. nVidia should as well but I don't know the model numbers.

You just want to look for cards that say they are capable of outputting component. I think newer nVidia cards don't need the stupid dongle, you can just specify what type of output you want.

DVD Josh
09-03-05, 09:42 PM
I know the ATI 8500 and 9xxx lines do, but as far as I know you need the dongle. I haven't kept up on their newer ones. nVidia should as well but I don't know the model numbers.

You just want to look for cards that say they are capable of outputting component. I think newer nVidia cards don't need the stupid dongle, you can just specify what type of output you want.

can I still output RGB to my monitor and component to my tv with a dual output card?

X
09-03-05, 09:46 PM
At the same time? I don't know about that. I would think probably.

DVD Josh
09-03-05, 10:09 PM
Alright, here's what I have in my computer right now:

ATI RADEON™ X300 PCI Express

It has an s-video out, which I just connected into my TV (Toshiba DLP). However, I don't see anything. How do I enable the output?