Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DirecTV DVR Question.....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-05, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I can get an 80 hour DirecTV DVR for free right now, I'm considering it. How exactly does it work? Do I still get to keep my regular HD receiver and just use this as a recorder? I want to be able to watch TV while recording something else. I will be able to do that right? I know I can't record HD with this, but that's OK. I just still want to be able to use my HD receiver while also using the DVR. Do I have to split the satelite signal? I'm new to the Tivo/DVR stuff, so I need some help. Thanks.
Old 09-02-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
You could keep both, but you'd have to pay extra for a second receiver (just tell them that it would be in another room or something).

You would need to run a second line from the satellite to the second receiver, or use a multiplexer. You can't just use a normal splitter.

You could also get the HDTivo for $199 (after $100 MIR). Then you coudl record HD and you wouldn't need your old HD receiver and you wouldn't need to run any new cables. Check out http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434483.
Old 09-02-05, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Dude, if you are gonna spend money on DVR from DirecTV and you are an existing customer, there's no reason not to jump on the deal posted in the link by Jeremy. Even if you can only get the receiver and MIR (not programming discounts) it's still worth the money and then some. That way you can ditch your old HD receiver, or keep it for when you have another HD set.
Old 09-02-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Also, depending on the brand of your old receiver, you can sell it for up to $100+ on eBay and lower the cost to you even further.
Old 09-03-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
The setup you've describes sounds awkward and would require at least 3 satellite runs to work properly. Not to mention two separate outputs to your TV. And I predict in less than two weeks you'll regret not being able to record HD. I found recently when trying to use my old SD DirecTivo with my new HD that watching live TV is a concept that's very hard to go back to. Even if it's just for HD programs.

So seconding, or thirding, the newly cheaper HD DirecTivo.
Old 09-04-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or you could just get both, install 4 sat runs and record LOTS of stuff.