Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's that time again! Help poor celebrities raise money for Katrina..

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure, there'll be a couple of celebs/musicians/million/billionaries that help out, but once again the celebrities will be imploring the public to give, give, give 'til it hurts while they go home and roll around in their rooms filled with $$$.

Jolie, De Niro in telethon for Katrina victims

Washington: Angelina Jolie, Robert De Niro and Matt Damon joined a host of other stars on Wednesday, in a telethon, aimed at encouraging donations for the victims of America's worst ever hurricane, Katrina.

According to Contact music, American TV network NBC in New York staged an hour-long telethon - a precursor to its official national fundraiser on Friday, where the three stars joined actress Ali Larter and Jazz musician Wynton Marsalis, to urge people to donate generously towards the unfortunate victims.

"It's like seeing something very sacry to you, violated and there's nothing you can do about it. It's very moving... New Orleans is like the soul of our country, so we have to help", Marsalis, who is a native of New Orleans, was quoted as saying.
ELLEN EYED FOR KATRINA TELETHON: On the heels of Thursday's news that NBC, MSNBC and CNBC will simultaneously broadcast a live, Matt Lauer-hosted fundraiser for victims of Hurricane Katrina on Friday at 8 pm/ET, comes word that all six broadcast networks are on board for a bigger telethon, to air as early as next week and perhaps be hosted by New Orleans native Ellen DeGeneres. Lest all this good will go unchecked by a bit of "controversy," the Peacock's rivals are said to be miffed by NBC Universal's unilateral decision to be first with an on-air fundraiser. But as one exec tells Variety, such grumblings will be set aside in order to "do what's best for the people impacted by this [tragedy]." Awww. [Sniffle] I... I seem to have something in my eye.