Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Indigo Prophecy

Old 08-30-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Indigo Prophecy

I noticed in the September Xbox thread no one except me seemed interested in Indigo Prophecy (aka "Fahrenheit" in the UK). Surely, I'm hoping, this is just because none of you have heard of the game, and not because you're just not interested. Because having played the demo, I can say that this looks like a very interesting game. It's still about three weeks before Indigo Prophecy hits store shelves, but it's never too early to drum up a little support.

IGN's Preview - http://xbox.ign.com/articles/638/638164p1.html
August 1, 2005 - Oftentimes adventure games carry the stigma of being too hands-off with not enough action to satisfy the minuscule attention spans of console gamers. While the genre established itself with some of the best games ever conceived on the PC, it has always had problems translating from the mouse and keyboard to a control pad. Quantic Dream set out to change the rules with the release of the murder mystery thriller Indigo Prophecy. The game has all the personality and high quality story elements of an adventure game with a heavy dose of interactivity and action events.

We witnessed an earlier build of this game prior to E3 and were intrigued by the twisted storyline and the ability to play as both a murderer and the investigators of a crime. The game opens as Lucas Kane brutally stabs a man to death in a New York City diner. During the crime the camera flashes between events in the real world and Kane's twisted mental state. His mind is manipulated by outside forces and when the brutal attack is completed, Kane has no idea why or how he ended the life of a random person. The good news for him is that there are no direct witnesses; the bad news is that a NYC patrol officer is enjoying a cup of jo just outside the door.

This is where players take over Kane's actions and begin to affect the plot. Movement is directly controlled from the third-person perspective and objects are manipulated through an interface called the Motion Physical Action Reaction (MPAR) system. This fancy term sounds complicated but is actually simple and intuitive. When Kane walks towards the sink and hand dryer in the bathroom icons pop up on the top of the screen showing each interactive object and a direction on the analog stick. Picking something off of the floor would be completed by hitting down, so there is connection between the motions. Players can interactive with a surprising number of objects, some which are critical to the plot, like the murder weapon, and others that simply add to the experience. For example Kane's apartment contains an electric guitar, a stereo that plays some kickin' tunes, and a working TV and radio.

Getting back to the bathroom where the game kicks off, players must press down to pick up the body, and then rapidly tap the shoulder buttons in succession to drag the body into a bathroom stall. As Kane completes tasks that cover up his crime he is awarded with mental health points that improve his condition from flat-out insane to anxious to stressed. This is measured with a small meter in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Small accomplishments like drinking a glass of water might give the player 5 points towards their mental condition while finding a major clue will boost moral by a much larger amount. In the opening scene if players move quickly to destroy evidence, pay their bill at the diner, and scurry out the back door they'll avoid ending the game with an arrest or going completely out of your mind.

Conversations are also linked to the MPAR system but as a timed event. When important dialogue is initiated players must choose one of four responses that appear at the top of the screen along with a steadily decreasing meter. If a choice is not made quickly the conversation ends and valuable information can be lost. This gives each confrontation a sense of urgency and forces the player to make snap decisions based on their prior exploration of the environment.

The timed events extend to a player's actions using a presentation style ripped from the popular television show 24. When Kane is struggling to clean up the mess in the bathroom a separate camera shows a cop approaching from near the cash register in a smaller window. This creates a sense of urgency without blatantly shoving a timer into the player's face.

The most interesting gameplay mechanic is revealed when players not only take on the role of a murderer, they also control a female detective and her partner as they investigate the crime committed at the beginning of the game. Lucas Kane's brother Marcus is also playable later in the story. In this way, players can actually leave clues for themselves as they attempt to make progress from conflicting points of view. The setup becomes more complicated when players are given the option to switch between the two detectives on the fly. Each cop notices separate clues in the environment and receives different reactions from suspects, so switching off is encouraged.

Another action event system is employed for tense situations like chase scenes. Two pads resembling the button layout from the game Simon appear on the screen and players have to quickly match directions with both analog sticks as they light up. The more matches a player achieves the better a character fairs in his goals. Later in the game, Kane wakes up in his apartment and has a premonition of the police barging in and finding evidence connecting him with the murder. Winning the matching event reveals exactly what Kane must accomplish to stop the cop from busting him.

The camera angles, voice acting, animation, and production value of the cut scenes all contribute to make Indigo Prophecy feel more like a highly interactive movie. Each character has personalized animations that enhance their personality. Detective Tyler Miles walks with a swagger that reveals his early years on the mean streets of NYC and Carla's facial expressions show her concern during an interrogation. The presentation is further bolstered by a musical score by Angelo Badalamenti. His resume includes Dark Water, Cabin Fever, and the theme from Twin Peaks.

Indigo Prophecy is more exciting than the average adventure title; more mature than the average action game, and has the presentation of a feature film. The plot shows huge amounts of promise and I'm already dying to see how the story plays out. Also, action events are eventually applied to clever situations like applying CPR and a game of hoops to keep the gameplay fresh. Indigo Prophecy could shape up to be a sleeper gem so keep stick around as we reveal more information.
EuroGamer's Review - http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60494
With that in mind we had to follow our hearts and award Fahrenheit the nine it deserves for being probably the most enjoyable, forward-looking and thoughtful piece of videogaming we've played in this or in any year. We never thought we'd say this, but it's a real step forward for the adventure game genre. Now try sticking that quote on the box.
TotalGames UK's Review - http://www.totalgames.net/pma/22124
Bringing a totally fresh game to an industry obsessed with Hollywood tie-ins, endless sequels, and reinvented classics is always going to be a risky business. Most prefer to stick to tried-and-tested formulas, making sure that their games end up being promoted by highly paid celebs and backed by a licensed soundtrack or a slew of washed-up voiceover actors to cover up the fact that they're often sheer mediocrity on DVD. Fahrenheit has none of these cheap promotional safety nets: it's a bold, fresh and utterly absorbing piece of gaming that deserves to outsell 99% of the titles currently hogging shelf space in stores across the land. Read on, and learn why this hidden gem could be the best Xbox game of 2005...
Download the Demo

With Zelda delayed until next year, this is my most wanted game of the year. Although I doubt it becomes anything more than a niche title, it would great if this was the game that finally put Adventure games back on the map and rejuvenated the genre.
Old 08-30-05, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're working for them, aren't you? ANSWER ME!!!

Seriously, though, the game looks freakin' sweet. I'll definitely be checking this out when it comes out.
Old 08-30-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Never even heard of it, but I may have to check it out now.
Old 08-31-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy shit.. could this be a mature game that's NOT aimed at twelve year olds?!

Thanks for the preview Joe. If I don't sell my Xbox I might have to check this out.
Old 08-31-05, 10:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Thanks for the preview Joe. If I don't sell my Xbox I might have to check this out.
It will be on PS2 and PC as well, not just Xbox. I am definitely looking forward to this game. I actually played the demo 4 times just to see the multiple pathways you can take. I have never played a demo more than twice before. This game looks to have a lot of replay value.
Old 08-31-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am actually REALLY looking forward to this one too
Old 09-01-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds really cool...but I'm not sure I like the sounds of the interface. Walk into a room and each item you can interact with pops up with an up, down, left, right arrow?

I don't really like the adventure games where you have to hunt for the exact pixel to click on, but I don't think items should be highlighted with a big flashing banner saying "Click here" either.
Old 09-01-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
Sounds really cool...but I'm not sure I like the sounds of the interface. Walk into a room and each item you can interact with pops up with an up, down, left, right arrow?

I don't really like the adventure games where you have to hunt for the exact pixel to click on, but I don't think items should be highlighted with a big flashing banner saying "Click here" either.
Well, it's not quite like every item in the room lights up when you enter room. Just items that your character is next to. Judging from the demo though, and from the preview/reviews I've read, it doesn't seem like there will be a traditional inventory system in this game. It appears the emphasis is not on finding X item and using it on Y item, but rather on deciding which actions to take in each situation. And instead of merely using trial and error to figure out which action is the right one, in each situaion there can multiple "right" solutions.

For example, in the scene from the demo, you've just killed a man in a diner bathroom (while in somekind of trance) and you have to try to get out of the diner without getting caught. You can try just running out the front door with blood still on your hands or you might try slipping out the window, or you can move the body into the a stall, wash your hands, use a mop and bucket to clean up the mess, casually walk out, pay for your meal, then leave the diner.

You don't have forever to make a decision, but instead of having an onscreen timer, when you're starting to take too long, a cop gets up to use the bathroom. When this happens, the game goes to split screen. On one split, you have your character still in the bathroom, and on the other split you see the cop slowly walking towards the bathroom door. If you leave without doing a good enough clean up job, you see the cop discover the body, and then you hear sirens in the distance and the game will tell you to get off the streets.
Old 09-01-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...3153137&page=0

Here's a Q&A which may or may not be with writer/director of Indigo Prophecy, David Cage. It sounds legit, but since it's posted on a GameFAQ forum, it's kinda hard to be 100% sure.
Old 09-14-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I finally got around to playing the Xbox demo this morning, and figured a ^bump would be good since the game comes out next week.

I must say I was very impressed! I played for probably about 45 minutes, and ended both times by getting thrown in prison. I like that there isn't a set way to do things, but multiple "right" paths to choose. I will definitely be picking this up next week.
Old 09-15-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I played the demo multiple times (not saying much since it's about 2 minutes long lol) but I CAN'T WAIT to give the final version a shot. I loved the "24" gimmick that the game has with the "same time, different place" camera shots.
Old 09-19-05, 11:27 PM
Banned

Indigo Prophecy got an 8.4 on IGN's review.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/652/652204p1.html

After reading this review, I am even more interested in the game.
Old 09-20-05, 11:05 AM

I have this on my Gamefly Q list. Looks promising.
Old 09-20-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Indigo Prophecy ships today, so I hope to have it by tomorrow.
Old 09-20-05, 05:48 PM

You'll like it Joe it's pretty fun. A very nice direction on Adventure games. I do enjoy the suspense. I'm about 1/2 way thru. I won't spoil anything but I will say their is a Sequence with Carla's "Problem" that drove me nuts! Needless to say I said screw it and pushed on. I will have to revisit that sequence to see the differences.

I think it's hilarious that you get to interact with the director of the game in the tutorial.

Overall, the game definitely makes you feel like your in a movie.
Old 09-21-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The port of this game got a very favorable review in PC Gamer. 85% I believe. For PC Gamer, and for a console port, this is very high praise. The text along with the review was accordingly positive.

I'll pick it up on the console. I'd rather play a PC game generally, but don't wan't to take the hit in graphics on this one.
Old 09-22-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

TeamXbox gave it an 8.9; it got a 9.2 for gameplay and a 9.4 for longetivity. The reviewer emphasized the deep replay value of the game, saying it takes very different directions in the overall story according to the choices you make.
Old 09-22-05, 09:12 PM

I went to B&M Ebgames today and the clerk informed me that this title is delayed until the 27th.
Old 09-22-05, 09:30 PM

I just saw it for Xbox, PS2, and PC at the Best Buy in Chicago.
Old 09-29-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I got this, and I am liking it a whole lot. I showed it to my step father in law and he was hooked as well.
Old 09-29-05, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Along with Resident Evil 4, this is my favorite game so far this year. I love adventure games that suck you in and don't let go til the credits are rolling. (It's been a long time since there's been one, at least in my book, that's been as addictive.. I usually take a month to beat a 10 - 15 hour game.. I've already played through this one numerous times, trying to get all the endings (3 I believe)).

It's more an interactive movie than a flat out game, but it's sort of like Lost - you HAVE to know what the hell is going on. The music is phenomenal (I'm a big fan of the composer as is), the mood is perfect, and the game is dark.

That said, I wound up playing it as Fahrenheit (and legitly too). I'm sure not a whole lot changed, but the game definitly had one of the best polygonal sex scenes I've ever seen (heh). Hear it's cut from the US version (stupid ESRB), any truth to that? (If it doesn't have it, it's no big loss. But it's a humorously memorable moment.)

The only flaw with the game, imo, are the L/R sequences, they just get old fast. With some tweaking, the game coulda been flawless, as it stands, it's still one hell of a gem.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-29-05 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-29-05, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm sure not a whole lot changed, but the game definitly had one of the best polygonal sex scenes I've ever seen (heh). Hear it's cut from the US version (stupid ESRB), any truth to that? (If it doesn't have it, it's no big loss. But it's a humorously memorable moment.)

The main producer/director guy, David Gage, said that the sex scenes would be cut out of the USA version because of the Hot Coffee controversy in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Only the original European version will be unedited. I read that there was 2 or 3 sex scenes, and a scene with a nude female taking a shower. I also read that the USA version of the game has the female wearing underwear in the shower.
Old 09-30-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Grrrr, I need my sex, even polygonal.
Old 09-30-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
The main producer/director guy, David Gage, said that the sex scenes would be cut out of the USA version because of the Hot Coffee controversy in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Only the original European version will be unedited. I read that there was 2 or 3 sex scenes, and a scene with a nude female taking a shower. I also read that the USA version of the game has the female wearing underwear in the shower.
From what I've seen:

*** Minor Spoilers - What Nudity is in the Euro version ***

There's a nude female taking a shower, though no nipples/bush - so that shoulda been fine in the US cut.

Couple having sex, see nipples and mildly graphic sex.

Couple having sex, see nipples and is pretty damn graphic.

Quite a few parts where the females wear undies and run around their apts.

Bonus video: Woman dances and then tosses off her little dress, brief full frontal.

Think that was it really. Not a whole lot, but ah well, I'm sure a game rated AO in the US would be a death kneel, but it'd be nice. The polygonal nippleage isn't nearly as nice as it was in God of War ... the sex was Cinemax graphic though.
Old 09-30-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Not a whole lot, but ah well, I'm sure a game rated AO in the US would be a death kneel, but it'd be nice.
I wonder about that. For a game like this that is flying under the radar that doesn't have any "kid appeal", I think it may have benefited from the free publicty that it would have gotten had it been released as an AO game in the U.S. This is not a game that would be dependent for the Wal-mart shoppers to make it a success as that crowd is unlikely to pay attention to this game in the first place.

Though it may be a good game it is likely to fade away unheard of since the game has gotten hardly any publicity that I have seen. I think an AO rating might have helped in this case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.