Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Andy Griffith Show season 4 is on the way!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They must be selling well since they're pumping them out fairly quickly now.

"The Andy Griffith Show" season 4 comes out November 22 w/season 5 coming after that I'm sure. Season 4 has the episode that sets up "Gomer Pyle U.S.M.C".

The big question is whether they'll put out the color episodes of the last three seasons.

From my other favorite site:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=4015
Old 08-30-05, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sure hope they continue putting out season sets for the full series run. I'm still fond of the later seasons. They're not the same without Don Knotts being around, but I still enjoy them. *fingers are crossed*
Old 08-30-05, 07:00 PM
Cool New Member

I just hope there are not edited episodes on season 4 like there was on season 3.
Old 08-30-05, 07:14 PM

Speaking of good Andy Griffith stuff, is "No Time For Sergeants" ever going to be released???
Old 08-30-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The tv show or the movie?
Old 08-31-05, 12:33 AM

The movie.
Old 09-12-05, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No one has posted the cover art yet?

Here you go.

Old 11-16-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been holding off buying any of the season sets, hoping for a "definitive" edition with extras, commentaries, reunion shows, etc. included. (I don't want to be burned like I was after buying all the inferior Twilight Zone episodes before the definitive editions came out.)
Now I don't know if there will be any coming or not, what do you think?

I thought I would jump in and get some savings by buying the 1-3 season package at Deep Discount DVD for $61.52 (after their current 20% off discount) but I see my order for it says "discontinued" (even though they still have it on their site for some reason http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...mID=PRD004731). Now I guess I have to just get the 1-4 season set, but that won't be out until 11/22, three days AFTER the 20% off sale. Maybe I should wait for season 5 in February and find a deal for all of them then (I have plenty to watch from this current sale, so I probably wouldn't even unwrap them until then anyway.)
Old 11-16-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lecithin
I've been holding off buying any of the season sets, hoping for a "definitive" edition with extras, commentaries, reunion shows, etc. included. (I don't want to be burned like I was after buying all the inferior Twilight Zone episodes before the definitive editions came out.)

I thought I would jump in and get some savings by buying the 1-3 season package at Deep Discount DVD for $61.52 (after their current 20% off discount) but I see my order for it says "discontinued" (even though they still have it on their site for some reason http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...ier=PRD004731). Now I guess I have to just get the 1-4 season set, but that won't be out until 11/22, three days AFTER the 20% off sale. Maybe I should wait for season 5 in February and find a deal for all of them then (I have plenty to watch from this current sale, so I probably wouldn't even unwrap them until then anyway.)
If you're a member of Costco, you can get seasons 1-3 for $12.99 each. I just recently picked up the first three seasons at Costco myself. They sell them for $24.99 each and they currently have a sale that takes $12 off at the register.
Old 11-16-05, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, but there are no Costco stores where I live. There are the similar Sam's Clubs, but I'm not a member there either.
Old 11-16-05, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lecithin
I don't think you will be seeing any DEFINITIVE edition Andy Griffith dvd sets. The Twilight Zone is a rare bird, in being re-released with better product for a TV show. Just about no one else has done that, and Twilight mainly did it IMHO because the early sets were done when dvd wasn't a fully matured market. Now it certainly is.
These Andy's also look VERY NICE in the video department so I can't believe they will redo them anytime soon. Definitely not in the next several years.
Also, don't worry about any of the shortened episodes. THIS IS NOT LIKE The Cosby Show, Alf, Roseanne, etc. that have all episodes as the syndicated versions. Only a few Andy shows in total (less than 5 probably) have lost any footage. I'm not happy about that, but we do need to keep it in perspective. 95% of these episodes are uncut and look better than they EVER HAVE.
Old 11-16-05, 11:07 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by johnglad
I don't think you will be seeing any DEFINITIVE edition Andy Griffith dvd sets. The Twilight Zone is a rare bird, in being re-released with better product for a TV show. Just about no one else has done that, and Twilight mainly did it IMHO because the early sets were done when dvd wasn't a fully matured market. Now it certainly is.
These Andy's also look VERY NICE in the video department so I can't believe they will redo them anytime soon. Definitely not in the next several years.
Also, don't worry about any of the shortened episodes. THIS IS NOT LIKE The Cosby Show, Alf, Roseanne, etc. that have all episodes as the syndicated versions. Only a few Andy shows in total (less than 5 probably) have lost any footage. I'm not happy about that, but we do need to keep it in perspective. 95% of these episodes are uncut and look better than they EVER HAVE.
I have only noticed 3 episodes missing any footage, all in season 3.

1st Darlings Episode
Barney Mends a Broken Heart (epilogue missing)
Barney and the Governor (small clip missing in the middle)

I am sure there are others, but these are the only ones I am sure of.

I agree that they will not be re-releasing a better edition of TAGS any time soon. Just about the only TV shows that have been re-released are the ones that were released in the beginning of the TV shows on DVD era and they were all single layer DVDs (Star Trek TOS, I Love Lucy Season 1, Farscape, Twilight Zone, etc).