Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Top 10 PS2 games of the past couple years?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I have only loosely played PS2 for the past couple of years, (due to being burnt out of the underground scene) etc.

What would you say are the best games from the PS2 for the past couple of years? PS2 exclusive titles would be preferred.

Gran Tourismo 4 and Kingdom Hearts are two that come to mind that I have missed? What other games have I missed?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You definately should check out Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. If you've played the other GTA games, this one is the best yet, but if you haven't played the others then you should really enjoy it.
Old 08-29-05, 04:07 PM

Devil May Cry 3
God of War
Tekken 5

Those are the ones that come to mind right away as far as PS2 exclusives go.
Old 08-29-05, 04:18 PM

It really depends on what type of games are your cup of tea. A few other PS2 exclusives that come to mind are:

Jak series
Ratchet and Clank series
Onimusha 3
Ape Escape 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Old 08-29-05, 04:27 PM

AHHH! How could I forget my favorite series?!

Metal Gear Solid 3 for sure... but as a side note, Subsistence is coming out soon. That should be a much better version including online multiplayer and a much better camera.
Old 08-29-05, 04:34 PM
Suspended

I have GTA: San Andreas for XBOX. For some reason Metal Gear just didnt appeal to me. I think it was the controls. I may have to give it another try.

I am not sure about the Rachet & Clank, Jak, games etc. I probably should give them a try.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-29-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If I had to do a top ten GTA would definitely be at the top, but I would also find room for Katamari Damacy and Ico.

My only big disapointment with the PS2 was the RPGs. I just didn't enjoy the RPGs on the PS2 the way I did on the PSone and SNES. Final Fantasy X was pretty good, but FF X2, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean and Wild Arms were very average at best. Maybe RPGs are just better when kept simple or maybe I just didn't play the right games on the PS2.
Old 08-29-05, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Silent Hill 3 - Great psychological horror and not available on xbox
Haunting Ground - Survival horror with a twist
Disgaea - RPG / Strat game with a lot of character and humour
Tekken 5 - I'll back this one up as well, more fun than DoA or SC.
Old 08-29-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God of War and the Ratchet & Clank series are some of my favorites. Also try Katamari Damacy for a unique and addicting game.
Old 08-29-05, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently received a PS2 and Kingdom Hearts as a wedding gift so I traded in my barely functioning Xbox and my rarely used Gamecube and all of my games for the following PS2 games:

Ace Combat 5
Champions of Norrath
Gran Turismo 4
Katamari Damacy
Rachet & Clank
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

I also picked up a couple of Logitech wireless controllers and the Namco Museum for the PSP.

The RPGs I was looking at getting were:

Suikoden III
Dark Cloud 2
Shadow Hearts Covenant

But, I want to do a little more research on them.

X-Men Legends is supposed to be good as well (I almost picked it up, but I already have more games than I can play).

Klonoa 2 and Sly Cooper were a copule of other platformers I was looking at.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
My only big disapointment with the PS2 was the RPGs. I just didn't enjoy the RPGs on the PS2 the way I did on the PSone and SNES. Final Fantasy X was pretty good, but FF X2, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean and Wild Arms were very average at best. Maybe RPGs are just better when kept simple or maybe I just didn't play the right games on the PS2.
I thought Suikoden 3 is excellent, and the Nippon ichi games are great too. Overall I think you are right, although traditionally the best time for rpgs is in the last year or so of a consoles life (where all those stupidly long dev projects finally complete...) so there is hope yet. Also I'd point to Tales of Symphonia, KOTOR, and Jade Empire, if you have access to GC or Xbox.
Old 08-29-05, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked Suikoden III a lot but expect a different experience from the second game. The overall story didn't really do much for me as well. Shadow Hearts Covenant I'm struggling to get into, about 6 hrs in and the story hasn't grabbed me at all.
Old 08-29-05, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really liked Kingdom Hearts, Disgaea, God of War, Metal Gear Solid 3 (wait for subsistence), Sly Cooper, Ape Escape 2, Katamari Damacy.

If you only play one game I would say get MGS3.
Old 08-29-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt the same way, but I am almost done with Star Ocean Til the End of Time, I liked it a LOT. FFX was good but easy. I recently picked up:

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Disgaea
La Pucelle Tactics
Phantom Brave
Digital Devil Saga

I've only played a litle Disgaea but I understand the fanbuzz about it. Once I finish Star Ocean (and tear myself away from my PC, Baldur's Gate II sucked me back in), I'll move to Nocturne and Disgaea. I'll buy Suikoden III & IV at some point as I've never played a Suikoden game.

It all depends on what kinds of games you like. I would personally include in my personal top PS2 games list: Devil May Cry 1/3, Star Ocean 3, Disgaea, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory if you haven't played it (older title), and Dynasty Tactics.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-29-05 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 10:08 PM

Viewtiful Joe I & II
Old 08-30-05, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I've only played a litle Disgaea but I understand the fanbuzz about it. Once I finish Star Ocean (and tear myself away from my PC, Baldur's Gate II sucked me back in), I'll move to Nocturne and Disgaea. I'll buy Suikoden III & IV at some point as I've never played a Suikoden game.
If you like your 2d classic rpgs, I definitely recommend getting Suikoden II first (ps1), which is my favourite of the series. Better story than III, although III has better gameplay. I'm only a couple of hours into IV but it seems like complete garbage so far.
Old 08-30-05, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ICO
Kamatari Damacy
Gradius V
Old 08-30-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
If you like your 2d classic rpgs, I definitely recommend getting Suikoden II first (ps1), which is my favourite of the series. Better story than III, although III has better gameplay. I'm only a couple of hours into IV but it seems like complete garbage so far.
The only problem is for the price of Suikoden II, you could buy all three of the other games in the series and probably still have enough money left over to go out for a steak and a beer and then get a decent hooker afterwards. That thing goes for way too much on Ebay.
Old 08-30-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are some of my recommendations. Keep in mind I have a VERY different taste for games than your typical "gamer" today, especially an Xbox-only guy; but if you're looking for games that take gameplay above concepts and graphics you may appreciate some of my findings. The best part is the entire list below can be had for $20 a pop or less. If you are somehow interested in imports chime in and I'll put up another list of my top imports.

Kingdom Hearts: Not THE reason I bought my PS2 (that was for a couple of imports) but it is THE reason I'm most glad I finally got one. One of the best action-RPGs I've ever played and I've played a lot. The Disney characters and worlds do a good job of balancing Square's typical overtly self-masturbatory and pretentious style.

Ratchet & Clank 2: The best of the three and the best non-Mario platformer out there.

Maximo: A 3D revival of the fantasy-platform-adventure game. A fantastic example of how new-school and old-school gaming conventions can combined to create greatness. The sequel is just as good if not a little too focused on button-mashing for its action.

Gradius V: Treasure made this game. Enough said.

Katamari Damacy: One of the most innovative games this generation. This is one of those simple-yet-addicting arcade-style games that'll have your non-gaming friends wanting to play. The soundtrack is a work of art in itself (too bad the sequel doesn't deliver on this aspect).

Castle Shikigami 2: I have this on Gamecube import, but it actually got a domestic release on the PS2 and I'd give it a thumbs up. It's another classic 2D shooter taking advantage of new-age console power and one of the very, very few to make it to this side of the world.

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter: A very different approach to the RPG genre in so many ways. Visually interesting (dark and murky cell-shaded graphics) and difficult, it's a nice change of pace to the RPGs of today which are mind-numbingly easy.
Old 08-30-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God of War awsome awsome awsome.
BTW is there a thread on this game? I tried a search but the words are too short.
Old 08-30-05, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Grimfarrow
ICO
Kamatari Damacy
Gradius V

Gradius V gets two big ass thumbs way up.
Old 08-30-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some that I really enjoyed would be:

Domestic:

Ape Escape Series (platformer/action)
Choro Q Series (super deformed racing - not for everyone, old favorite)
Culdcept (fantasy-based strategy board game, think Monopoly+Magic)
Grand Theft Auto Series (action)
King's Field 4 (rpg - 1st person dungeon crawl)
Ratchet And Clank Series (platformer/action)
Shadow Hearts Series (rpg)
Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder (action/sports)
Silent Hill Series (survival/horror)
Soul Calibur II (3D fighter)
Syphon Filter: Omega Strain (3rd person action)
Tekken 5 (3D fighter)
Vexx (platformer/action)
Wizardry: Tale Of The Foresaken Land (rpg - 1st person dungeon crawl)

Import (for those with Japanese PS2s that might be interested):

Black Matrix II (strategy rpg)
Buile Baku (puzzle game)
Firepro Wrestling Z (revamped old school 2D multi-player wrestling)
King Of Fighters Neowave (2D fighter)
Popolocrois Series (while not as good as the PS installments, I still like them)
Shadow Tower: Abyss (1st person rpg)
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (rpg - The 1st version, the 2nd/US release
added things to the game that I felt took away from
the "Megami" experience)
Spectral Souls (strategy rpg)
Summon Night 3 (strategy rpg)
Tengai Makyou II: Manji Maru (Far East of Eden 2) (rpg - PS2/GC remake)
Old 08-30-05, 10:16 PM

My current top 10 PS2 games:

1. Gitaroo-man
2. Katamari Damacy
3. God of War
4. Jak II and Jak 3
5. Ratchet and Clank 2 & 3
6. Gradius V
7. Alien Hominid
8. Sly 2: Band of Thieves
9. Suikoden III
10. Star Ocean: Till End of Time
Old 09-01-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
The only problem is for the price of Suikoden II, you could buy all three of the other games in the series and probably still have enough money left over to go out for a steak and a beer and then get a decent hooker afterwards. That thing goes for way too much on Ebay.

I can't justify spending $70-$80 for a single game. If I was going to spend that much on one game I would pick up Panzer Dragoon Saga for my Saturn @ $100-$120 or so. If I ever see it complete under $50 I'll pick it up, but that isn't going to happen unless I stumble across it somewhere, or the local mon-n-pop game store gets it in (he prices a few bucks under gamestop/ebgames).
Old 09-02-05, 08:59 AM

someone mentioned Culdcept a few posts back. Great game, but probably tough to find. I picked up a new copy at a Gamestop about 6 months ago for like $17. The people working there didnt even know they had it or what it was.

the only game thats had me playing PS2 more than Culdcept was San Andreas

Last edited by Hospitaller; 09-02-05 at 09:02 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.