DVD Talk
Will car radios in the future play mpeg-4 (itunes) files? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Will car radios in the future play mpeg-4 (itunes) files?

Heat
08-28-05, 01:41 AM
Or do MP3 car players (like Alpine) that play MP3 and WMA files now play mpeg-4 (which I assume is the same as .acc) files?

I'll most likely be in the market for a new car radio early next year when I buy a new car. Do you think the newer players will play itunes files directly, if they don't do that now?

I know that there are adapters for ipods now, but I was thinking more along the lines of being able to put itunes files on a CD-R and playing it that way.

Otto
08-28-05, 02:44 AM
I think yeah, players will eventually be adding this sort of thing, if they haven't already.

MR ROBOTO 9000
08-28-05, 10:53 AM
I have the Pioneer P770MP and bought it because it plays mp4 files.

Heat
08-29-05, 04:07 PM
I have the Pioneer P770MP and bought it because it plays mp4 files.
Domo Arigato,

That answers my question. It looks like radios will play the files, but not protected files (that is, ones you downloaded and paid for). From the Pioneer website, emphasis added:

iTunes® AAC Playback Compatibility!
Here’s an important world’s first from Pioneer: Apple iTunes AAC compatibility! The Premier DEH-P770MP can play CDs with AAC files ripped using Apple’s iTunes Media Player. Now you can make iTunes your one-stop music player for your PC, iPod and CDs as well.
(Note: Not compatible with DRM-protected music purchased from Apple iTunes Music Store)

So it looks like if you want to play music you've downloaded and paid for through itunes, you have to either use an ipod with an adapter, or convert it from an .aac file to a different type of file (mp3, .cda, whatever). But in the process of expanding it then reshrinking it (MP3), something'll be lost. And if you leave it as .cda, it'll be full size so you've lost the compactness.

dick_grayson
08-29-05, 04:16 PM
along the same lines, is there or will there be a car stereo that I could plug my ipod into and play straight from there?

Otto
08-29-05, 04:43 PM
So it looks like if you want to play music you've downloaded and paid for through itunes, you have to...
Use JHymn. It'll convert those protected M4P files into unprotected M4A files which will work on this player device. And it'll do it without any quality loss unlike the methods you mentioned.

Otto
08-29-05, 04:45 PM
along the same lines, is there or will there be a car stereo that I could plug my ipod into and play straight from there?
Alpine has a fairly integrated iPod system in their lineup, and you can buy iPod-specific adapters for many different vehicles nowadays.

But if you mean a unit where you can physically insert the iPod like you would insert a cassette tape, I don't know of any units like that, but it would be pretty spiffy. :D

dick_grayson
08-29-05, 05:06 PM
I meant like a USB port to plug into, mainly. I have a factory model stereo (Monsoon) and the sound is great but I've broken two of those belkin tape adapters for my ipod and the FM transmitter just sends a bunch of static, so I figured maybe go with a new stereo face with a USB. I have a feeling that there's a simpler answer out there though, too. maybe it's the shitty belkin quality.

Otto
08-29-05, 05:32 PM
I meant like a USB port to plug into, mainly.
So did I. The Alpine units interface to the docking port on the iPod, and use the Apple Accessory Interface to control the iPod, get the audio, and even get the song title and artist info and such and display it on the radio's screen. Lots of aftermarket devices exist to interface the car's stock radio and communications network into commands to control the iPod, letting you get audio and control it with the car controls and so forth. These exist for lots of car models, foreign and domestic.

FM transmitters and the like are teh sukk.

You won't find one with "USB", but you will find many ways to connect devices directly to an iPod via the docking port.

kvrdave
08-29-05, 06:10 PM
dick, if it is a newer system, you may find that it has an Aux port somewhere under the dash that can be connected to. Mine has a mini-pin AUX port on the dash which makes it perfect, but most just have them with the gaggle of wires in back.

dick_grayson
08-29-05, 06:28 PM
thanks dudes :up: I'll look into what I've got and if there's a simple hook up.

darkside
08-29-05, 07:42 PM
I'm really considering a new stereo so I can use my iPod in the truck. My factory stereo doesn't have an Aux port so I'm going to have to replace the whole works if I want to use the iPod.

I just wish I could find something cheap, but with a line in jack in the front.

Heat
08-29-05, 10:21 PM
Looks like JHymn's the winner then, of course you need to have a stereo that plays MP4 files (like the Pioneer mentioned above).

As for the adapter, it looks nifty, but it's another $100.

Alpine KCA-420i: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x5CMhZuEqC1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=500KCA420I

Alpine changes their lineup each year of course, I'll just wait six months or so and see what the '06 year brings. Like I said in my first post, this would be a radio for a car (or van) that I'll be buying next spring, so I have time. Looking over the modern head units, the prices have really dropped in the past seven years or so.