Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

SCEE - "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance" (PSP & DS)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SCEE - "The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance" (PSP & DS)

Old 08-26-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first saw this on GAF:

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=454

...SCEE expects its dominance in the home console arena to drive its debut handheld system to success, dismissing the challenge of sector leader Nintendo.

“The idea of a handheld rivalry with Nintendo is an irrelevance,” VP of studios Phil Harrison insisted to MCV. “Those formats don’t appear in our planning. It’s not a fair comparison; not fair on them, I should stress. That sounds arrogant, maybe, but it’s the truth.

“Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon.

“With the DS, it’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen,” Harrison continued. “But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick – so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that.”...
Old 08-26-05, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Great, now where are the fucking games worth playing Sony?

This is the standard nonsense from both Nintendo and Sony. They dismiss the other like they don't exist. Both companies can be completely clueless at times. Fact is Sony has built a great piece of hardware that does threaten Nintendo's handheld market share despite what Nintendo says and the fact is the DS is an excellent gaming system with games that are fun to play and not just gimmicks.

If Pokemon is all it was about for Nintendo handhelds they would have been out of the business years ago. Thats like saying the PS2 would be nothing without GTA.

One thing is true, Nintendo can no longer compete with the technology of Sony. They don't have the resources that Sony does to design hardware like the PS3 in house. Maybe that will catch up to them in the long run, but considering how mediocre the PSP is doing in Japan and how poor the software lineup has been so far I think Sony might be jumping the gun with their complete disrespect for Nintendo.

If I was Sony I would take a different path with this. Worst case and Nintendo leaves the hardware business in a few years, they still are the number 2 publisher of games in the world. Who are they going to side with as a game publisher, the company that has constantly disrespected them or the company that has stayed neutral and even allowed its own second party to develop handheld games. Face it, if Nintendo became a software only company and made their games exclusive to the Xbox Sony is fucked. Goodbye home console dominance, hello Sony Walkman disaster all over again.

I would let Nintendo stay in their happy niche and leave them alone.

Last edited by darkside; 08-26-05 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard corporate talk from a company that's about to launch a platform. Not sure why this needed its own thread when we already have a DS vs PSP thread.
Old 08-26-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My ability to NOT admire Pokémon has really hindered my enjoyment of the GBA.

Old 08-26-05, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
Great, now where are the fucking games worth playing Sony?
I'd like to know too.

This is the standard nonsense from both Nintendo and Sony. They dismiss the other like they don't exist. Both companies can be completely clueless at times. Fact is Sony has built a great piece of hardware that does threaten Nintendo's handheld market share despite what Nintendo says and the fact is the DS is an excellent gaming system with games that are fun to play and not just gimmicks.
The HATE between Sony and Nintendo goes back to the early 90s. Nothing surprises me.

If I was Sony I would take a different path with this. Worst case and Nintendo leaves the hardware business in a few years, they still are the number 2 publisher of games in the world. Who are they going to side with as a game publisher, the company that has constantly disrespected them or the company that has stayed neutral and even allowed its own second party to develop handheld games. Face it, if Nintendo became a software only company and made their games exclusive to the Xbox Sony is fucked. Goodbye home console dominance, hello Sony Walkman disaster all over again.

I would let Nintendo stay in their happy niche and leave them alone.
Too late now. Sony better hope that never happens otherwise, like you said, they're "fucked".
Old 08-26-05, 05:53 PM

What a great business leader: "Those guys over there, yeah the ones making money and selling more then us doing we are going, yeah they ain't competitors." This guy is simply providing fodder for the sony fanboys.
Old 08-26-05, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
What a great business leader: "Those guys over there, yeah the ones making money and selling more then us doing we are going, yeah they ain't competitors." This guy is simply providing fodder for the sony fanboys.
Well, being that SCEE hasn't launched their product yet, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was selling more
Old 08-26-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon.
Software Sales
1. DS JUMP SUPER STARS, 220,912 Sales
2. PS2 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9, 102,048 Sales
3. DS Gentle Brain Exercises, 46,873 Sales
4. GBA The King of Beetle Mushiking: Greatest ChampionGBA The King of Beetle Mushiking: Greatest Champion, 36,309 Sales
5. GC Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, 34,108 Sales
6. PS2 Medal of Honor European Assault, 33,361 Sales
7. DS DS Training For Adults: Work Your Brain, 30,518 Sales
8. PSP Mobile Suit Gundam - Girren's Greed "Blood of Zeon," 28,460 Sales
9. PS2 Grandia III, 27,378 Sales
10. PS2 Super Robot Wars Alpha , 3 26,567 Sales

Hardware Sales
DS 103,095
Hmm...
Old 08-26-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what Nintendo of Europe had to say in response to the impending PSP launch...
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11124

They didn't say anything directly about the PSP, but said they were preparing for a banner year in both hardware and software sales.
Old 08-26-05, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am not quite sure what Sony's target audience is currently, being in a couple stores recently and looking at the PSP selection it was about 85% movies. At one Walmart I went to there were three games for sale, Deat Jr., Spider-man 2, and one other, while there was about 15-20 different movies.

He's right it looks like a great little system but to just write off Nintendo when there share of the handheld market is so large, especially in Japan now, is silly. I expect the PSP to beat the DS in Europe though.
Old 08-26-05, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Well, being that SCEE hasn't launched their product yet, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo was selling more

Ah... That's right, Sony shut down all those PSP imports that were taking place.
Old 08-26-05, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Sony, what a huge ego. PSP is a great handheld system, but there are really only a few 'must own games'. I wonder how many people bought a PSP just for Homebrew...
Old 08-26-05, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sony, what a huge ego. PSP is a great handheld system, but there are really only a few 'must own games'. I wonder how many people bought a PSP just for Homebrew...

I know 8 people that have PSP's beside myself, first thing out of their mouth regarding the system is how great the ROMs are to play on it. It's amazing that a large part of Sony's success with the PSP is because of Nintendo games.

The PSP is a perfect example of how illegal ROMS can hurt a company in a less direct manner then most people normally consider. Nearly everyone that uses ROMs (myself included) rationalizes it by saying "I would never buy this game again" or "I couldn't buy this game if I wanted to."
Old 08-26-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

“With the DS, it’s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen,” Harrison continued. “But I fear that it won’t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick – so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that.”...
Hasn't Nintendo also said the DS is not the GBA's successor? If that is true, then to say Nintendo has stepped out of any race is silly.
Old 08-26-05, 10:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Hasn't Nintendo also said the DS is not the GBA's successor? If that is true, then to say Nintendo has stepped out of any race is silly.
Nah, the general conclusion that's a bunch of saving face bullshit.
Old 08-26-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Nah, the general conclusion that's a bunch of saving face bullshit.
I still see them releasing a new true Game Boy by the end of next year or 2007. They can't let the PSP go unchallenged forever with a disc based portable system. Granted Nintendo almost always seems to be focused on the Japanese market and there the GBA is still selling close to PSP numbers so who knows when they will feel the time is right.

I agree the three tier thing is nonsense. They don't have the resources to support three pieces of hardware properly and its obvious the GBA support has dropped off big time in favor of publishing and developing DS games.

When they do finally decide to bring out a new Game Boy the DS titles will probably drop off as well even though the DS will remain on the market with the new Game Boy for awhile.
Old 08-26-05, 10:43 PM

I have long said it is BS as well. Had the DS obliterated the PSP the DS would be around for 5 years without a new hardware line. At the current rate I expect the new GBA to make it to market in late 2007 early 2008.

If anything is a gimmick on the DS it is the ability to play GBA games. Clearly if the DS was a "third tier" the feature would be unnecessary. Obviously my terming of gimmick is implying something beyond what SCEE is sugesting though.
Old 08-26-05, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Maybe Nintendo wasn't sure how well the DS would do, so if it bombed Virtual Boy style they would always fall back on another Gameboy to bring them back up. Since the DS is doing pretty well they can wait longer before bringing out the "true" successor.
Old 08-27-05, 01:02 AM

LOL, the pokemon game on the DS doesn't even compare to the good games on the DS like Advance Wars DS, Meteos, Kirby Canvas Curse, SM64, . not to mention the great games coming up like Castlevania: DOS, Mario and Luigi 2, FF, AC...

or was he talking about GBA pokemons? which are in fact some of the most deep and engaging games i've ever played (even rival console rpgs). way to overgeneralize Harrison.
Old 08-27-05, 01:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Maybe Sony dosn't know that Nintendo releases non-Pokemon games, games that kill there PSP games in sales. What has Sony released for the PSP in the past few months? Death Jr., Coded Arms, Midnight Club? What has Nintendo released? Nintendogs, Advance Wars, Kirby, Meteos...

Sony needs to get off its high horse and stop thinking they are superior over Nintendo or Microsoft. The only thing the PSP really has going for it at the moment is the ability to play Homebrew (aka emulators). Fact is, if PSP couldn't play homebrew I would have sold my PSP months ago. Right now its a NES/SMS portable machine with the ability to watch Family Guy on the go.
Old 09-16-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0509/game050907c.shtml

Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Gaia Studio
Platform: PlayStation Portable
Genre: RPG
Origin: Japan
Release: Winter 2005

Here are some new images of Sony's PSP RPG Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, the game is headed by Kouji Okada, the producer of the Shin Megami Tensei series. In the game you can battle and capture monsters which can be stored in jewel forms; there will be over 100 different Jewel Monsters. The protagonist is Vyse, a boy who inherited Jewel summoning power from his mother, he started the quest to search for the murderer of his mother.
Old 09-16-05, 05:32 PM
Banned

Because a third party developer is making a Pokemon clone for PSP, SCEE is now incorrect? Is that what you are saying?
Old 09-16-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 486 Likes on 285 Posts
Isn't SCEE publishing it though?
Old 09-16-05, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think what Pixy is saying is, Sony says there isn't a handheld rivalry between them and Nintendo yet they're now going to produce a Pokemon clone to rival Nintendo.

Originally Posted by Phil Harrison
Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it’s pretty much defined by a boy or girl’s ability to admire Pokémon.

Last edited by Setzer; 09-16-05 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-16-05, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony Japan is publishing.. not Sony Europe.
It's just interesting to see two parts of the same company with differing views. Europe is even more afraid of Japanese games damaging their masculinity than America is, so the comments made in the initial post aren't a surprise.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.