Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Huge acts that you don't know a single song by

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-26-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Must admit I force my self to avoid the latest pop Top 40 crap but...

1. Kanye West (I know everyone says he's the real thing but I still haven't heard his music)
2. P Diddy
3. The whole Hillary Duff Lindsey Lohan Nick Carter Aaron Carter Ashlee Simpson Jessica Simpson consortium (I do know a few Brittney Spears tunes)
4. Jack Johnson
5. 50 Cent
Old 08-26-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Phish
Old 08-26-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar

1. Kanye West (I know everyone says he's the real thing but I still haven't heard his music)
2. P Diddy
3. The whole Hillary Duff Lindsey Lohan Nick Carter Aaron Carter Ashlee Simpson Jessica Simpson consortium (I do know a few Brittney Spears tunes)
4. Jack Johnson
5. 50 Cent

you are a liar... at least with 50 cent.. you've heard "In Da Cub"
Old 08-26-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope can't say I have. Don't listen to music radio. Don't frequent clubs. Don't hang at bars. Don't watch MTV. I'm a married man who listens to mostly indie music that never sees the top 100.
Old 08-26-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
I can't say that I have heard "In Da Club" either. Or if I have, I couldn't identify it if I heard it again. I haven't heard any Kanye West or Jack Johnson either.
Old 08-26-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Couldn't tell you ONE Barbara Streisand song...Well I do know her duet with Neil Diamond, but that's considered his song.
Old 08-26-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Diddy
OutKast
The whole Hillary Duff Lindsey Lohan Nick Carter Aaron Carter Ashlee Simpson Jessica Simpson consortium (I do know a few Brittney Spears tunes)
50 Cent
Ludacris
Gwen Stefani (Solo)
The Black Eyed Peas
Faith Hill
Shakira
Missy Elliott

Can you tell I don't listen to "popular" music? I checked at Billboard.com and I don't know of 90% of those on the top 50 albums.
Old 08-26-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Lateralus
Diddy
OutKast
The whole Hillary Duff Lindsey Lohan Nick Carter Aaron Carter Ashlee Simpson Jessica Simpson consortium (I do know a few Brittney Spears tunes)
50 Cent
Ludacris
Gwen Stefani (Solo)
The Black Eyed Peas
Faith Hill
Shakira
Missy Elliott

Can you tell I don't listen to "popular" music? I checked at Billboard.com and I don't know of 90% of those on the top 50 albums.
The only way you've never heard "Hey Yeah" by Outkast or "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eye Peas is if you went deaf before 2003.
Old 08-26-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Phish
Jerry Garcia
Janis Joplin
Black Crowes
Slipknot
Deftones
A Perfect Circle
Neil Diamond
Old 08-26-05, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cungar

2. P Diddy
4. Jack Johnson
5. 50 Cent
Lemme help you out a bit:
1. Kanye West
most popular: New Workout Plan
Newest: Diamonds of Sierra Leone

2. P. Diddy (After the name change from Puff Daddy)
most popular: Bad Boys for Life
Newest: ??

3. Can't help you

4. Jack Johnson
Most Popular: Sitting, Waiting Wishing
Newest: no idea

5. 50 Cent
Most Popular: In Da Club
Newest: My Toy Soldier

As for me, I'm pretty much in tune with all the new stuff minus the poptween music.
Old 08-26-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goat3001

As for me, I'm pretty much in tune with all the new stuff minus the poptween music.
Diddy (After the name change from P. Diddy)
Old 08-27-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
The only way you've never heard "Hey Yeah" by Outkast or "Let's Get It Started" by The Black Eye Peas is if you went deaf before 2003.
ooookaaay. Guess I better get my ears checked. Face it there are some people that have broader tastes in music than the top 40 crapfest, the man feeds you on the radio/mtv/etc.

I haven't heard either one. I can totally understand people not having heard a lot of the recent 15 minute wonders. I do, however, have to cry B.S. on people like Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, and Janis Joplin. Maybe it all comes down to "naming" the songs, because I know most would know who these three artists are if they heard a hit song by them. Me for example, I couldn't name but maybe one or two from each, but I would definitely know if I heard them. Of course I could be wrong.
Old 08-27-05, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Phish
Jerry Garcia
Janis Joplin
Black Crowes

...um, Jerry Garcia was in the Grateful Dead, I'm not a hippy, and I know that.
Old 08-27-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
ooookaaay. Guess I better get my ears checked. Face it there are some people that have broader tastes in music than the top 40 crapfest, the man feeds you on the radio/mtv/etc.

I haven't heard either one. I can totally understand people not having heard a lot of the recent 15 minute wonders. I do, however, have to cry B.S. on people like Barbara Streisand, Neil Diamond, and Janis Joplin. Maybe it all comes down to "naming" the songs, because I know most would know who these three artists are if they heard a hit song by them. Me for example, I couldn't name but maybe one or two from each, but I would definitely know if I heard them. Of course I could be wrong.
Your very own logic is the same logic we're using in saying that you have heard Outkast or Black Eyed Peas. Music isn't exclusively the domain of radio anymore...."Hey Ya" and "Let's Get It Started" played heaily in all forms of media. I'm not saying you could sing along with it, but you'd instantly recognize the song.
Old 08-27-05, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clemente
Your very own logic is the same logic we're using in saying that you have heard Outkast or Black Eyed Peas. Music isn't exclusively the domain of radio anymore...."Hey Ya" and "Let's Get It Started" played heaily in all forms of media. I'm not saying you could sing along with it, but you'd instantly recognize the song.
But the nature of the thread, and what it's asking is huge acts (Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, in this case), and not knowing a single song by them. He may have heard these songs through commercials or movies or whatnot, but he would still have no idea that it was by those artists. Therefore, he could still say he doesn't know a single song by them, even if he has heard them.

As for me, looking at the Billboard charts top 25, this is how it adds up for me.

Artists where I know, or could pick out a song by them
Mariah Carey
Green Day
Gorillaz
Gwen Stefani (if you count No Doubt)
Foo Fighters

Artists I've heard of, but wouldn't be able to pick out a song
Hillary Duff
The Black Eyed Peas
Staind
Faith Hill
Kelly Clarkson
The Killers
Coldplay
Bow Wow (I'm assuming this is L'il Bow Wow, and he dropped the L'il?)

Artists I've never even heard of
Brad Paisley
Young Jeezy
The Click Five
Rascal Flatts
Fall Out Boy
Sugarland
Keith Urban
Ying Yang Twins
Mike Jones
Dane Cook

I don't listen to music radio, don't watch a lot of TV, and mainly listen to indie stuff and European metal. There's not an artist on the top 25 that I'd willingly listen to for very long.
Old 08-27-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Your very own logic is the same logic we're using in saying that you have heard Outkast or Black Eyed Peas. Music isn't exclusively the domain of radio anymore...."Hey Ya" and "Let's Get It Started" played heavily in all forms of media. I'm not saying you could sing along with it, but you'd instantly recognize the song.
Yeah, that was my point. Hey Yeah was featured in lots of TV shows and promos. The ring tone is very popular. The band performed on the Grammys and before major sporting events. The song is a staple of stadium rotations. It would have been very hard to have not heard the song enough to say "Oh yeah, that IS familiar" when you hear it. Pretty much the same goes for "Let's Get It Started", which became the NBA's de-facto theme during the 2004 Playoffs. It was used incessantly in ads and promos (also their new song is featured in frequent Best Buy ads and hard to miss).

If you don't at least sorta recognize these two songs, however, I'll apollogize and drop it:
Hey Yeah
Let's Get It Started

Last edited by Decker; 08-27-05 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-27-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It is a fine line, but there is a huge difference between an artist that has a couple hit songs in their sub-5 year career and artists that are entering their 5th decade as recording artists.

But the nature of the thread, and what it's asking is huge acts (Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, in this case), and not knowing a single song by them. He may have heard these songs through commercials or movies or whatnot, but he would still have no idea that it was by those artists. Therefore, he could still say he doesn't know a single song by them, even if he has heard them.
That was my point. They may be oversaturated to the point that you are sick of hearing them, but to anyone that doesn't listen to top 40, hearing a song in a diet coke commercial doesn't mean you would know who it is just because it is the flavor of the month artist.
Old 08-27-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dane Cook

he's actually a comedian who happens to have an album in the top 50.
Old 08-27-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i don;t meant to thread but something about this thread I don;t like. This is not directed at anyone in particular, but to me it feels like this thread is people who are just saying "i'm too cool for the room". Guess I don;t really have a point as this board caters to all types of music fans.. just wanted to comment
Old 08-27-05, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Never got to know the Creed/Korn type stuff. The only voice I ever recogonize is Linkin' Park's. Not necessarily a good band, just know the voice.

I know lots of songs, but couldn't tell you who sings them. We play KUPD all day at work, which is like harder modern and metal rock stuff. I like the station because they play older stuff like Nirvana, Metallica, and even AC/DC can be fun sometimes.

PHISH is an awesome example! A couple friends tried to get me to listen. But it's sort of like 'never got around to it'.

I have a lot of respect for a few of these guys mentioned, and would recommend at least giving them a chance...

Outcast
Kanye West
Dane Cook (why's he even in this thread? haha)
The Killers
Coldplay
Old 08-27-05, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts
The Strokes
Franz Ferdinand
Elliot Smith
Dashboard Confessional (or any "emo", for that matter)
99% of rap/hip-hop artists
most country

I'm sure there's more...
Old 08-27-05, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Found out who Brad Paisley was today. Still couldn't tell you what he sings though.
Old 08-28-05, 06:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Never got to know the Creed/Korn type stuff.
Ditto.

I have not ever knowingly heard a Creed track. Not a one.
Old 08-28-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

...um, Jerry Garcia was in the Grateful Dead, I'm not a hippy, and I know that.
Yeah, and I still don't know any Grateful Dead songs either. Here are some more artists I can't name songs from:

The White Stripes
Usher
Motley Crue
ABBA
Bob Marley
Blondie
David Bowie
Ozzy/Black Sabbath
Van Halen
Slayer
Pantera
Whitesnake
INXS
Iron Maiden
Jethro Tull
White Zombie/Rob Zombie

I decided to leave out all the stuff this thread wanted me to say. (Hilary Duff, Aaron Carter) This thread, good intentions or not, is just another thinly-veiled attempt at bashing pop music.
Old 08-28-05, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Lemme help you out a bit:
1. Kanye West
most popular: New Workout Plan
Newest: Diamonds of Sierra Leone

3. Can't help you

4. Jack Johnson
Most Popular: Sitting, Waiting Wishing
Newest: no idea

5. 50 Cent
Most Popular: In Da Club
Newest: My Toy Soldier

Kanye's biggest song is either Through the Wire or Jesus Walks, the songs he got Grammy's for and Jack Johnson's big hit is "Flake"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.