Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie-hopping...do you do it?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ever movie Hopped?
Yup
49.81%
Nope
50.19%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...have to ask this.
Friends of mine have HUGE ethical problems with doing this but with ticket prices almost $11 here in NYC and no matinee cheapies, I have no problem doing this once I'm in there.
Any of you?

Ever get caught?

Last night a friend and I saw Four Brothers and 40 Year Old Virgin. Good times Paid for the former but the latter was better.
Old 08-26-05, 10:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nope. I'm a good boy.
Old 08-26-05, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did it once a few years ago. After American Pie 2, I went into The Score. As I sat there, every time the door opened I thought they were coming to get me. I decided the potential embarassment of being caught wasn't worth it.
Old 08-26-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did it when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago.

Actually, when I was about 11 years-old or so, the movie theaters still used color-coded tickets. So a ticket for an afternoon showing was identical to a ticket for the later showing for the same movie.

So there were a couple of times when I stood outside the exit doors and picked up ticket stubs that people threw on the ground as they left the theater (back then, people littered). I really overthought it the first time, so I figured out which color stub went with which movie (the back of the ticket booth was glass, and though I don't remember how, there was a way to see which color stub went with which movie from behind), then I waited until the next showing of the movie I had the right color stub for started and flashed my stub as I walked by the ticket taker.

The second time I did that, I didn't bother to figure out which ticket went with which movie. I just flashed the stub and went into the movie I wanted to see.

I only did it those two times.

But there were a couple of other times when my friends and I would simply go into another movie after having watched one.

I don't do that anymore, but I'm also over 30 years old now.
Old 08-26-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't done it for ..... well, almost three weeks now!

Last "double feature" was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory followed by The Devil's Rejects.

I "justify" the practice by making sure that the 2nd movie is one that, while I obviously am interested in, I wouldn't actually pay to see it in a theater anyway - so it's not as if my little hop is reducing the box office take.
Old 08-26-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I don't do it, but the AMC Palace here is so lax that it would be very easy to do it.They only check your ticket when you walk through the front door.Out of all the times i have been there i have never seen anyone check tickets you walk into the actual theater of the movie you are going to see nor have i ever seen an employee enter the theater during the show.

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-26-05 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-26-05, 11:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
not since I was a teenager - I don't risk it anymore.
Old 08-26-05, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't do it. Even with new stadium seating, I doubt my ass would make it through two flicks without numbing up.
Old 08-26-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Movie-hopping is stealing, pure and simple. I won't do that to save a few bucks.
Old 08-26-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Many, many times. But not since I've grown up.
Old 08-26-05, 12:05 PM
Banned

Amusing that the two people that have admitted to doing it the most frequently live in NYC. hmmm....

Many, many times. But not since I've grown up.
Let me guess...you're not insinuating anything...right?
Old 08-26-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
I've done it once or twice back in the day, but never for a whole 2nd movie and generally frown upon it.
Besides nowadays you can get a DVD for cheaper.
Old 08-26-05, 12:10 PM
Retired

Yes, but very seldomly. Did it in June to see Star Wars for a second time and Cinderella Man.

There's not often two movies I want to see bad enough to stay in the theater for 4+hours. Show times often don't line up when there is as well.
Old 08-26-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Let me guess...you're not insinuating anything...right?
Even if he is, are you really surprised? This thread might as well be titled "Come in and fight!!"

For the record, I don't believe that I ever have (at least I can't remember doing it). I do know that, at least once I have paid for one movie, watched it, gone out, bought a ticket for another movie, and gone back in and watched it.

Why don't I? Because I think it's wrong and have been able to resist an temptation to do it anyways (not that that's been all that difficult).
Old 08-26-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope. I'm usually ready to leave once my show is over.
Old 08-26-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by matome
. . . I doubt my ass would make it through two flicks without numbing up.
That's my main deterrent. Particularly at the shithole Music Box (Chicago) where they up the prices but improve nothing and their service and presentation sucks ass. Yet they get exclusive movies. They have the most uncomfortable seats in the city. Sitting for 2+ hours is pushing the limit.

Sit in those seats for over 3 hours and your spine fuses into a whole new shape.
Old 08-26-05, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by matome
I don't do it. Even with new stadium seating, I doubt my ass would make it through two flicks without numbing up.
try four movies - yesterday I saw a midday movie at noon "The Ninth Day" at the AFI, ran around the corner to the Majestic to see 'Valiant' had an hour or so to eat a meal, walk (get the circulation flowing), then did another two movies "Dead Man" and "Ghost Dog" back at the AFI, now that was a marathon.
Old 08-26-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
I go to movies twice a week. 99% it's the same theater and I'm pretty sure I'm recognized by the staff not to mention the camera lenses that are all around. So the answer is no. I also noticed that after Ep III was released they added a few security people but it seems like now they've scaled down to one security person who keeps an eye on things.

Plus, not only is seeing trailers and not missing any part of the movie important, I've earned enough free popcorn, free sodas, and free movies tickets with my MOVIETICKETS points that I woudl feel bad sneaking into a movie.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-26-05 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I go to movies twice a week. 99% it's the same theater and I'm pretty sure I'm recognized by the staff not to mention the camera lenses that are all around. So the answer is no.
I agree I see alot of movies, and I really don't want to jeopardize myself from being barred from a specific theatre.
Old 08-26-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Used to do it all the time until the theater caught on to us... during cellular, a manager walked in and stood there for an unusually long time... then he left for a minute and they turned off the film and brought up the lights... we booked out the door and didn't do it again for awhile. I don't give a fuck if it's stealing - I look at my house and then I look at Ashton Kucher's house and realize that I'm frickin robin hood.
Old 08-26-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by Trigger
I don't give a fuck if it's stealing - I look at my house and then I look at Ashton Kucher's house and realize that I'm frickin robin hood.
Hey, I guess that makes it ok.

Actually, I don't care about the theater's bottomline. I learned long ago not to worry about corporations/businesses because they'll always get their money one way or another.

I just don't want any shit from them.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 08-26-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-26-05, 01:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Trigger
Used to do it all the time until the theater caught on to us... during cellular, a manager walked in and stood there for an unusually long time... then he left for a minute and they turned off the film and brought up the lights... we booked out the door and didn't do it again for awhile. I don't give a fuck if it's stealing - I look at my house and then I look at Ashton Kucher's house and realize that I'm frickin robin hood.

In AZ, doesn't Harkins have a slide with a picture of a angry, foaming dog warning people against hopping?

I faintly remember that.
Old 08-26-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I do it.. about once every 2 - 3 months.. I plan a day of it. I bring my bookbag full of water and eats, print the schedule of the showings and plan accordingly, taking into account trailers and potty breaks so that I'm never waiting more than 10 mins between each movie. I buy my ticket for Deuce Bigalow 2 or Stealth or whatever crappy Sony movie is out and have a seat. I figure my company is already screwing the theater owners, so why not me?
Old 08-26-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did it once, but I felt REALLY bad. I will NEVER do it again.

I often watch 2 films in the same day, but I go back out and buy another ticket. I see around 100 films at the theatre a year, so I could save big bucks, but it's just not right.
Old 08-26-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never. I'm an adult.

I would never lower myself to do something so lame.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.