Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stupid HDTV question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid HDTV question

I just got a HDTV and I'm using composite cables in the component jacks to hook up the DVD player. Would it make a difference if I switched to component cables, or are they same thing with different color codes.
Old 08-25-05, 03:37 PM

Yes. Composite cables are 75ohm & will work fine.
Old 08-25-05, 03:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
I think you should get some component cables. While the yellow composite cable is 75 ohms for video the red and white cables should be more around 50 ohms. Some composite cables are so junky you can't be sure what impedance they are in which case you'd want some decent component cables anyway.

Decent component cables don't have to cost much.
Old 08-25-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
RCA component cables are pretty cheap and can be found easily IMO. Ditch Composite.
Old 08-25-05, 08:12 PM
Banned

your going to have a MUCH better picture than now if you get component. On your HDTV, anything you connect NEEDS to be Component
Old 08-25-05, 10:49 PM

I think the NON-component chords are hurting my TV! Very crappy picture... My tube tv in the living room that cost 80 new has a better pic from VCR than mine because it does not use component... Someone told me that reg cables give HD tvs worse pics than cheap tvs...
Old 08-27-05, 12:42 AM
Banned

Absolutely an high quality brand component cables. They are highly recommended to use with Progressive Scan DVD Players. And for your HDTV video connection, you most definitely want to use a DVI cable, (If your unit is DVI compatible) transmitting from the DVI-HDTV output of your cable or satellite HDTV receiver, to the DVI-HDTV input on the rear of your TV monitor.

You may use composite cables for other analog, non-digital video, and audio sources will be sufficient such as: VCRs, games, etc.

Your owner's manual will have these, and other recommendations, documented inside, for your knowledge, and to use as future reference.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 08-27-05 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-27-05, 01:52 AM

There's only one good thing to do with the cables that come in the box.

Throw them away.