Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How much do you pay for CABLE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much do you pay for CABLE?

My damn cable just went up again and Im totally thinking of ridding of this shit. Fucking Paragon TIme Warner mother fuckers raise it every 6 months about $6! Im now paying about $116! Granted its all digital with the HD channels and HBO shit. But this is rediculous. Any other poor shmoes have to pay this high for cable? Is getting a dish totally better than cable and these asinine prices?
Old 08-25-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
My damn cable just went up again and Im totally thinking of ridding of this shit. Fucking Paragon TIme Warner mother fuckers raise it every 6 months about $6! Im now paying about $116! Granted its all digital with the HD channels and HBO shit. But this is rediculous. Any other poor shmoes have to pay this high for cable? Is getting a dish totally better than cable and these asinine prices?
Call them up, tell them you're going to switch to DirecTV and would like to cancel. They will offer you a much better rate that will probably save you ~$30 a month.
Old 08-25-05, 02:56 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched to DirecTV two years ago. I was paying $63 for basic digital. I now (after all my DTV promotions have expired) pay $47 for the basic DTV package with DirecTivo.

Cable prices are ridiculous and I see no point in calling and threatening to get satellite ever 6-12 months to get a better deal instead of just switching for real.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 10-21-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I pay $44 for extended basic. Works for me. Don't need digital, and I'm only missing 2 that I'd really like, but can only get on a dish (Fine Living, IFC)
Old 08-25-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
I've said it once and I'll say it again - call your cable co and tell them you are thinking to going to satellite. They should offer you a deal to stay. I do it every 6 or 12 mos whenever the latest deal they give me is expiring. Quite easy.

Comcast - $68 for Digital Cable, HD, HD-DVR, HBO (12 ch), and SHO (10 ch). Plus I can do multiple splits for analog signals to extra TVs and DVRs.
Old 08-25-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am paying $140 Canadian, but that includes my internet. Within this price is my cable modem rental, as well as a HD PVR rental, as well as the complete list of channels, including HD.
Old 08-25-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doh, I forgot to say I it also includes my cable internet!

Ya know, I dont even get showtime with that insane price. Maybe I should switch, or try that at least $30 reduction and maybe theyll throw in showtime.
Old 08-25-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I'm paying $147 with Adelphia, but that includes broadband internet service...I'm also getting all the movie channels, plus HDTV channels. Called once about getting rid of the movie channels, but keeping the HDTV and it turned out I was going to only save $20 per month and lose about 50 stations, so I just said screw it and kept my package.

Yes, I would LOVE to go to Direct TV service...but my landlord refuses to let me get a dish...I think he's in kahoots with the cable company!
Old 08-25-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$0. I actually did get fed up and ditch the whole thing just over a year ago. I thought I would have missed it and reordered by now, but I really haven't. At the point I cancelled I'd been a Netflix member for five months and was mostly watching DVDs anyhow. I was certainly enjoying the DVDs more than television. If I have to watch something on one of the major networks or PBS, my rabbit ears give me a tolerable (barely) signal. Everything else, I rent. I do miss Good Eats, though.
Old 08-25-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
$50
for just basic
what really pisses me off is that it is so high so that Adelphia can pay people $300 to turn in their satellite equipment and switch to cable
and they have these commercials on the local talk radio station that the host reads and he talks about it only being $14/month for the first 4 months, and conviently forgets to mention that it will then go up to $50
how about a special price for the loyal longtime customers?
I'm tempted to buy a real old model receiver on ebay, cancel cable for 1 week, sign back up and turn in the receiver for $300
Old 08-25-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
$70 for basic digital cable with DVR (no premium channels)
Old 08-25-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
$72 for cable internet and extended basic with a DVR.
Old 08-25-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zero.
Old 08-25-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm paying $147 with Adelphia, but that includes broadband internet service...I'm also getting all the movie channels, plus HDTV channels. Called once about getting rid of the movie channels, but keeping the HDTV and it turned out I was going to only save $20 per month and lose about 50 stations, so I just said screw it and kept my package.

Yes, I would LOVE to go to Direct TV service...but my landlord refuses to let me get a dish...I think he's in kahoots with the cable company!
Uh, your landlord can't stop you. As long as the dish is on some sort on non-permanent mount (railing clamp, sandbags, etc) he can't say squat. More info
Old 08-25-05, 04:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

$78 for digital cable, HDTV and all the HBO's. I cringe every time I write the check. I may have to try threatening to switch to DirecTV to see what happens.
Old 08-25-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just tried the Direct TV switch thing and got mine lowered by $20.00 a month and get free HBO for 1 year. (right in time for Real Sex) Good stuff!
Old 08-25-05, 04:57 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Uh, your landlord can't stop you. As long as the dish is on some sort on non-permanent mount (railing clamp, sandbags, etc) he can't say squat. More info
The one kicker is that they can ban you from drilling any holes in the walls which makes it tough to get the cable inside.

I just ignored that part of the lease and they didn't say anything months ago when they came around and inspected all satellites. I'll just patch it up when I move out and they'll never know the difference.

And the other problem for many in apartments is that they either don't have a patio or balcony to put it on, or their patio/balcony faces the wrong direction and thus they're screwed as they land lord can dissallow it being put on the roof, in the yard etc.
Old 08-25-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I have:
DirecTV
all basic cable channels
HBO
DirecTIVO
Local serivce

$55 a month. Time/Warner can suck on that!
Old 08-25-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by THX7966
$78 for digital cable, HDTV and all the HBO's. I cringe every time I write the check. I may have to try threatening to switch to DirecTV to see what happens.

Exactly the same for me and I wouldn't mind so much if CBS wasn't the only local network channel that offers an HD channel.
Old 08-25-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

99.00 for my broadband internet and cable TV. It's a good chunk of money that I notice missing when it's taken out of my account, but it beats the days of AOL when I had to pay the monthly fee to AOL and I had a monthly fee for SBC DSL and I also had my cable TV. Those three bills totaled more than 99.00, so when I think I am paying too much, I just keep telling myself this is a better deal than I had before.
Old 08-25-05, 06:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Landlords can not legally stop you from having a dish- As long as you have a southern exposure and follow these rules as per the FCC, tell your landlord to go pound sand. I have Dish and have a 5 pound cement bucket on my balcony with no problems.
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Last edited by brtcmfn; 08-25-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-25-05, 06:34 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
About $84 for DishNetwork's America's Top 180 package, HBO, PBS, and two Dish DVRs.
Old 08-25-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
I pay Comcast $110 a month. $40.00 for the broadband internet. $55 for expanded basic(TCM, Sci-Fi, etc.) and $15.00 for the digital Encore package which gives me both east and west feeds plus Flix east and west.
Old 08-25-05, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
The one kicker is that they can ban you from drilling any holes in the walls which makes it tough to get the cable inside.
You can buy really flat coax that is thin enough for doors and windows to fully close on.
Old 08-25-05, 06:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by E70f
You can buy really flat coax that is thin enough for doors and windows to fully close on.

Be careful about using flat cable- There have been reports that they actual have caused fires with the possibility of the cable being exposed and the brushing of the doors opening back and forth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.